Music and its source material | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Music and its source material

sarama

Medalist
I think anyone is free to do what they want with the music: as long as it is not offensive, they don't have to be faithful to the source of the material. Just as an example Domnina/Shabalin's Aboriginal OD wouldn't have been a problem if it were a funny "Flintstones style" FD set to Aboriginal music because they liked it. The fact that it was supposed to be a folk OD (so a tribute to
a culture) but it looked like a joke is what made it inappropriate.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just as an example Domnina/Shabalin's Aboriginal OD wouldn't have been a problem if it were a funny "Flintstones style" FD set to Aboriginal music because they liked it. The fact that it was supposed to be a folk OD (so a tribute to
a culture) but it looked like a joke is what made it inappropriate.

What. :unsure::unsure::noshake::noshake:

That would have been just as bad.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Art is always what it means to everyone individually. There is no "one way" for performances, it´s about how you feel and experience it.

Because of this, a skater might interpret a piece of music differently to the original creator, differently to the fan in row 12...

:agree: :2thumbs: :clap:

When one "thumbs up" just isn't enough.

If a skater can bring me into the program so that I feel I'm inside the skating, rather than observing or evaluating it, that's an atmospherically higher level of performance. That's when I can experience it as art, as opposed to experiencing it merely as a fabulous technical and athletic display. Which creates its own excitement, granted.

It's why figure skating is done to music in the first place ... because music is a medium that can create an immediate transfer of emotion from performer to listener. No translation or analysis necessary.