Naming Figure Skating Moves after their "Inventor" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Naming Figure Skating Moves after their "Inventor"

doubleflutz

On the Ice
Yuna camel - Yuna Kim

People only call it that in Korea; no one else in FS refers to it that way. People were doing it years before Yuna, including Tonya Harding. It's just a bent-leg back camel.

Personally, I kind of like that Caroline called her spin the Pearl, and not the Caroline/The Zhang. There's something charmingly humble about that. It helps that it really is truly unique to her and a spectacularly hard skill, not just something relatively simple or mundane that she merely popularized, and that anyone could have come up with or mastered. Biellmann wasn't the first to do a Biellmann, but she did take it to a new level, so I'm okay with that one. Some of these other skaters, though... :rolleye: Lucinda Ruh is amazing, but really, she didn't invent nearly as much as she likes to insist that she did, and her constant butthurt over the fact that she doesn't have eponymous skills in every interview ever is a little grating at this point. It's not gymnastics, there's no FSU protocol for named skills, and Cecilia Colledge was shortchanged way more than Lucinda ever was.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
I have to add the "Flying Maia" to this list. :yes:

http://youtu.be/R1ONEuW7RxE (at the very end of the program)

I don't know of any teams besides the Shibutanis who have attempted this lift, and it kind of became their signature lift on the junior circuit.
The man picks up the woman with one arm while rotating on one foot. Very difficult! However, they had to drop it eventually because of the lack of ice coverage it got.

chloepoco

Medalist

I don't know of any teams besides the Shibutanis who have attempted this lift, and it kind of became their signature lift on the junior circuit.
The man picks up the woman with one arm while rotating on one foot. Very difficult! However, they had to drop it eventually because of the lack of ice coverage it got.

That is a beautiful move!

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Here's a small list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports_terms_named_after_people#Figure_Skating
Axel jump, after Axel Paulsen (Norway).
Besti squat, after Natalia Bestemianova (Russia).
Biellmann spin, after Denise Biellmann (Switzerland).
Charlotte spiral, after Charlotte Oelschlagel (Germany).
Ina Bauer, after Ina Bauer (Germany).
Kerrigan spiral, after Nancy Kerrigan (USA).
Lutz jump, after Alois Lutz (Austria).
Salchow jump, after Ulrich Salchow (Sweden).
Loop jump, in some countries (Germany and Poland, for example) this jump is called a Rittberger, after Werner Rittberger (Germany).
'Tano lutz, after Brian Boitano (USA).
Walley jump, after Nate Walley (USA).
Kayla Catch, after Kayla Doig (Australia).

BravesSkateFan

Medalist

I'd almost swear to it that Lang & Tchernyshev have done this lift (or a very similar one). I'm thinking maybe in their Nutcracker program, but I can't find a link to see for sure.

parma

On the Ice
People were doing it years before Yuna, including Tonya Harding. It's just a bent-leg back camel.

Biellmann Spin was NOT invented by Denise Biellmann either. People were doing it years before Biellmann, including Tamara Moskvina.

I saw non-Korean bloggers used Yuna's name to refer to the camel spin before. Time will tell whether the name sticks around.

I kind of hope it does. If you could choose between naming a spin after an animal and naming it for one of the greatest skaters ever, why wouldn't you choose the latter?

Vash01

Medalist
Natalia spin in pairs skating- although Mishkutenok-Dmitriev were not the first pair to do this, I think of it as 'Natalia spin'. I don't know if that is commonly done by fans.

Vash01

Medalist
I think a back flip that is landed on one foot should be named 'Bonaly' since Surya Bonaly is the only skater that can do it.

I think a back flip that is landed on one foot should be named 'Bonaly' since Surya Bonaly is the only skater that can do it.

The only other woman who did a back flip (at least that I've ever seen) was Rory Flack Burghardt. I can't remember if she landed it on one foot, but I believe she did execute it in the pike position rather than tucking. But calling it a "Bonaly" seems apt. Surya had the longer and more stellar eligible career (several world medals and French championships).

Vash01

Medalist
The only other woman who did a back flip (at least that I've ever seen) was Rory Flack Burghardt. I can't remember if she landed it on one foot, but I believe she did execute it in the pike position rather than tucking. But calling it a "Bonaly" seems apt. Surya had the longer and more stellar eligible career (several world medals and French championships).

IIRC Rory did not land hers on one foot. I will have to look for hers, but I am almost certain she landed it on two feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxTecK7AEXM&playnext=1&list=PL232AECBE36E8D4CB

Here it is at 3:05 mark- she landed it on two feet.

Last edited:
Remember when Bonaly did the backflip at the Olympics? It was hysterical—she calmly flipped it right in front of the judges (a totally illegal move, of course) as if to say, "I know you're never going to let me get a medal, but take this, folks, because I bet you couldn't do a flip like this even strapped into a harness, after fifty years of training, on the moon where there's no gravity." Classic, priceless Surya.

wasabi

On the Ice
[QUOTEI don't know of any teams besides the Shibutanis who have attempted this lift, and it kind of became their signature lift on the junior circuit.
The man picks up the woman with one arm while rotating on one foot. Very difficult! However, they had to drop it eventually because of the lack of ice coverage it got.[/QUOTE]

Vanessa Crone and Paul Poirier did this lift in the 2008 season in Senior. They also did a stationary rotational lift in a shoot the duck position in Junior in 2006 and did another variation in the sit position in 2007. They were known for innovative and difficult moves.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Vanessa Crone and Paul Poirier did this lift in the 2008 season in Senior. They also did a stationary rotational lift in a shoot the duck position in Junior in 2006 and did another variation in the sit position in 2007. They were known for innovative and difficult moves.

I miss Vanessa and Paul, too. I really enjoyed their programs from this past season :(
However, I think the lifts are still significantly different. Alex held onto Maia with only one arm throughout all of the rotations, and with free leg extended as a more difficult position. I would still credit Maia and Alex with "popularizing" it as the media talked to them specifically about that lift, and they used it in both their OD and FD that season.