NBC vs. IceNetwork vs. Universal Sport | Page 6 | Golden Skate

NBC vs. IceNetwork vs. Universal Sport

Since I didn't watch the NBC version of Ladies at SA, I have nothing to say about Scott. I have watched him at NBC's Olys, and there is nothing professional about his commenting on figure skating. I believe they put these former champs into these positions for added ratings. None of them including Wiley has commentator's pizzaz as one would see in Tennis, Diving, Track, etc., not to mention Team Sports.

Watching Ladies on Universal was a treat without any commentating at all.

If these former champs want to commentate, they should study Media Communications, imo. The study may even let them know that they are not cut out for this.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
She's been in several of his shows over the years, and he genuinely likes her. I don't have a problem with him having favorites - especially if he can use his influence to get them seen on TV.... I'm not critisizing him for liking Kim. He's the one person who stays in her corner, if there's one thing you can say for Scott - he doesn't just pick the people on top, once he picks that fave he sticks with them through good times and bad and doesn't trash them when they falter (ala Button)

now if he could just be as kind to his non favs...

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think he was doing quite a bit of "... in her defense.." commentating during S.A.
JMO

Well, many folks and posters seem to have a sort of "soft spot" for her. Even Phil Hersh doesn't seem to be exactly ripping her apart right now. So, in a nutshell, it doesn't surprise me.

amazonprincess

Rinkside
back to Ice Network

I only just subscribed recently, however while watching Skate Canada I have not heard ANY commentary yet. Maybe it's only because I've only watched the ice dancing so far, but I'm optimistic. :) Since I have not been to a live competition yet, I really like that I get to see who the judges are, and the warm-ups and kiss and cry footage. Plus (so far) the lack of commercials and fluff pieces please me to no end.

It doesn't hurt that I'm logged in on my HTPC and am watching on my television screen. The resolution gets a little pixelated at times but the overall quality isn't that bad.

We shall see how things continue throughout the season. Because it's either this, or what scraps NBC is willing to feed us. I don't get Universal in my area.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ice Network had commentary for SA... but not SC from what I understand.

I believe the rest of the grand prix series will be commentary free
I like it commentary free. It's like being there LIVE without hearing anything. I wish, though, Icenetwork would make the sound louder. These old deaf ears of mine are not exactly working like in the days of Jacqueline duBief.

libby

Match Penalty
I like it commentary free. It's like being there LIVE without hearing anything. I wish, though, Icenetwork would make the sound louder. These old deaf ears of mine are not exactly working like in the days of Jacqueline duBief.

They must have heard you, Joe - the ice dance broadcast today is twice as loud as it has been.

lmarie086

Medalist
I'm almost ready to cancel my subscription to Icenetwork. When I woke up Sunday not long before the FD it was to find out I had been "blacked out" due to my location...which was the same as it had been the night before. I called and argued my way back to viewing.

Just now when I went to watch the free dance a second time, I find that I've been blacked out again. It's ridiculous, and I'm getting annoyed that I paid $30 for this.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Edit: Well they fixed it. But still, second time in two days. This shouldn't keep happening.
Nope, still receiving "error" message. At least I don't seem to be blacked out anymore.

Last edited:

Ginask8s

On the Ice
I'm almost ready to cancel my subscription to Icenetwork. When I woke up Sunday not long before the FD it was to find out I had been "blacked out" due to my location...which was the same as it had been the night before. I called and argued my way back to viewing.

Just now when I went to watch the free dance a second time, I find that I've been blacked out again. It's ridiculous, and I'm getting annoyed that I paid $30 for this.

Edit: Well they fixed it. But still, second time in two days. This shouldn't keep happening.
Nope, still receiving "error" message. At least I don't seem to be blacked out anymore.

I have AOL which does not "like "Icenetwork. I am still blacked out if i try to get on via AOL. I have to clear all cookies and enter on internet explorer. Apparently you need to use a different server. It really sucks.

tilak

On the Ice

Had the exact same problem as you, even had that error message. :banging: I gave up for now because in a few days I will be moving & I will have cable internet. I'm hoping that will solve my problem. If not I will cancel my subscription to Icenetwork & I guess it will be the online Russian web tv....:mad:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I got the blackout message through last Friday. :frown: :scratch: I called and was on the phone for 40 minutes to get the problem straightened out. Hopefully it won't happen again, but I'm not holding my breath.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Where do I tune in on Universal Sport to get the coverage. I went looking last week during TEB to no avail.