New Toy.......... | Golden Skate

New Toy..........

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I finally got a DVD/VCR player, recorder, that allows me to transfer videos to DVD's..........needless to say, I have been hard at work on my figure skating videos. I may wear the machine out before I finish..........42

Johar

Medalist
Cool!

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to figure out how to work my DVD player :laugh:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Show-I have one of those and still haven't transfered anything yet. That was my goal last summer but still haven't got around to it yet. It seems you are way ahead of me :) When you are finished can you come to my house and do mine!? :yes:

I'm a new combo VCR/DVD player/recorder, too! What frustration I went thru trying to make the first DVD to video copy, tho! The instruction book is not very clear and what it said to do didn't work....I somehow by accident got the thing copying.
I hope to transfer a lot of VHS tapes to DVD as well.
It also was a lesson to be learned in what type of blank disks to get for the thing--never knew a "-" and a "+" on a box could make such a difference....and I don't know yet what type of disks to get that can be reformatted/erased/re-taped on....the type I have you can only record on one time.
Put me on the list of "still learning"!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thanks Aloft and Jo..........It took awhile for my checkbook and technology to come together...... :)

.....dlk and NJ.........I am having so much fun..........I transfered all of my home videos to dics, and now I am working on my figure skating videos. I'm starting with Michelle first, then I'll work on Paul, G and G, and lastly make a disc for SOI and COI. I'm not sure how I will group the rest. Maybe by year or by event. I am finding it time comsuming to group skaters by their performances.......42

Last edited:

sk8m8

Final Flight
Dear Show, congrats on the machine. Now next year, when you get a DVD Burner on your computer and can make multiple copies.....remember your friends :rofl:

Happy coyping, your s8m8 mark :yes:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
What a great idea, S8................I guess I need to start saving up again!!!! :yes: 42

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Show-you inspired me to get all my vhs's burned onto dvd's. I have my stack of skating vidieos ready to go!!!

LadyM76

Rinkside
DVD recording.....

I have a question for all the people that got new DVD Recorders for Christmas. Are you recording Nationals by chance??? I am very excited about attending all the evens in Portland, but I haven't figured out a way to record the TV coverage. If you could possible help, please let me know before Saturday, since that is when I am leaving for Portland.
Thanks
LadyM76

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Show, I got one too!!! I haven't hooked it up yet.......that's tomorrow's job. Anyhow, mine is supposed to dub dvd to vhs and vhs to dvd and dvd to dvd and vhs to vhs. Right now I am just interested in dubbing vhs to dvd. I may have to rent my skating tapes an apartment if I don't. I got a really, really, really great deal on New Year's day so went ahead and got it. Now, I am hoping I can learn how to do it. :laugh: :laugh: I had to buy a converter because I have an older TV with a great picture. I am only going to buy -R dvd's. I got a quick lesson from the salesman that sold me the machine.

Dee

Ours is a Sansui from Sears...was regularly $388.99 and we got it for $288.99...but since my husband receives Sears gift certificates from his job for reward of having accident free quarters, we only paid $176.00 out of pocket. We got it as a Christmas gift to each other.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I have a question for all the people that got new DVD Recorders for Christmas. Are you recording Nationals by chance??? I am very excited about attending all the evens in Portland, but I haven't figured out a way to record the TV coverage. If you could possible help, please let me know before Saturday, since that is when I am leaving for Portland.
Thanks
LadyM76
Each dvd recorder is different. I would sit down with the instruction book and read it and practice recording something. It took me a couple of times to get it right. It's a lot different then recording from a tape. Good luck.

LadyM76, dlkksk8fan gives good advice. Scour thru your instruction book, just the "how to timer-record" part and give it some practice shots.
I am not a technical whiz by any means, but I've never found it difficult to learn to program a VCR or our new DVD for timer recording. So if I can do it, I'm sure you can, too!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I have a "Go Video" and am spending way too much time copying VHS to disc (what the heck, I love it). I've already made a couple of mistakes. I didn't realize that to play my newly copied disc on other DVD players, I have to finalize the disc first..........it only takes a couple of minutes per disc.............42

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
dlkksk8fan said:
It took me a couple of times to get it right. It's a lot different then recording from a tape. Good luck.
Dlkksk8fan, after two hours of trying to get it hooked up, I sat with the instruction book to record at least to VHS, now how hard can that be? My instruction book is over 80 pages. I am certain once I get used to it I will be fine. I drew a diagram of how to hook it up and then unhooked it and hooked the old VCR back up, it is so much more simple to operate. I need a few hours just to play with the new toy and right now I don't have the time. I am happy that I have it though.

The brand I got is JVC.

Dee

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
instruction book is over 80 pages.
I had my instruction book out the other day because I was having trouble recording (finally got it right), when my husband took one look at the book and quickly ran
away :laugh: He refused to even try. I think maybe in a few years someone will make these dvd recorders a lot more simpler then they are now.

Dee-good luck getting it all hooked up.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
dlkksk8fan said:
I think maybe in a few years someone will make these dvd recorders a lot more simpler then they are now. Dee-good luck getting it all hooked up.
I think you're right about making them more user friendly. They have already come down so much in price just over the last year. By the time I get used to programing and recording, they'll probably be so simple to use. :laugh: :laugh: By then we will only have the option of recording DVD's.

Dee

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I came across another kink. A couple of discs I had popped in to record ejected themselves after a few minutes saying "disc error". This doesn't happen when you're using VHS tapes. If I had set my timer to record something, it wouldn't have. This makes me nervous, so I guess I will still be using my VHS side to record, and save the disc side for transfering from VHS to DVD.............42