NHK on youtube | Page 2 | Golden Skate

NHK on youtube

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I agree with Ando third. But Meier's tes is just fine. It can't be higher than Kostner, since she doesn't have the triple-triple and she got level threes for spins. .

Those darn triple-triple's. The skaters who don't have them are at a disadvantage. It is a shame because someone like Meier (who imo is a beautiful and talented skater) seems to get penalized for that. Did Kostner get level fours for her spins?

I will be rooting for Meier in the LP.

kikakiks

On the Ice
Yes, Kostner had level 4 in the flying sit and the final combo spin (she had all the change of positions and edges counted). Sara had to change her sit spin into a camel since she had a level 0 at TEB (she doesn't bend her knee enough).
It's true, without the harder combo it's difficult, but not impossible! Czsiny today proved it! I am really happy for her 4th place. if she had comparable pcs she would be in 1st place. Even Ando, without triple triple could have won the sp. You always have to assume that someon will make a mistake (which always happens).

I still don't understand Czisny's pcs soo low. Pcs have become a proxy for reputation nowadays...

Last edited:

ChrisH

On the Ice
Those darn triple-triple's. The skaters who don't have them are at a disadvantage. It is a shame because someone like Meier (who imo is a beautiful and talented skater) seems to get penalized for that. Did Kostner get level fours for her spins?

I will be rooting for Meier in the LP.
I would've put Meier first too. She probably also got dinged in the TES for her lip. I don't like the rule where a lip requires a negative GoE. A -1 GoE that can be neutralized by positives is enough. Lips aren't as bad as flutzes.

As for the PC scores, I think that the judges reward speed more than artistry at the moment. Kostner and Ando are faster than Meier and Czisny.

BTW, the audio seems to be out of sync with the video.

Last edited:
What I really appreciate in these youtubes is the SloMo clips after the SP. One can really see the prerotations on the second combo jump. My argument stands that the Solo Loop Jump is more difficult than the tacked on prerotated half turns on ice second jump in a combo.

I kind of detect the voice-over is Russian. Anyway, he is very good and I wish I could understand what he says. Does he also camera the skating?

Joe

Snowgirl

On the Ice
I kind of detect the voice-over is Russian. Anyway, he is very good and I wish I could understand what he says. Does he also camera the skating?

Joe

You should not wish that :) he is not even close to good, many Russian fans want him to shut up forever!

ChrisH

On the Ice
isn't it the same thing = wrong edge - ie bad technique?
In the flutz topic, I think everyone agreed that the flutz is easier than a true lutz. The true lutz is supposed to have a counter-rotated entry and is supposed to takeoff from an outside edge. Those who flutz not only takeoff from the wrong edge, they also don't takeoff with an initial counter-rotation.

There were mixed opinions about the lip. One member said it was easier than a flip and another that it was harder. A lip "just" takes off from the wrong edge. There is no counter-rotation issue.

The bottomline is I think the flutz cheats the rotations more and so should have the larger penalty. I think that a casual fan can see the difference between a true lutz and a flutz in terms of rotations in the air. Lips and flips look the same. Well, that's JMO. I think that some of the technical details are interesting, others not so much. :)

Vicky458

On the Ice
Well if this program got first place, can't wait to see the other
SP's. I guess the days of a clean SP have taken a leave of absence.

I have to agree! I can't believe this program got the best score!

Mier should have been first and I don't understand alissa's PC scores. Her flow and extension is beautiful! Much better than Miki!

Last edited:
I saw the 3 Ladies on youtube and more or less agree to the placements. Caro and Sara are both very muiscal and Miki who jumps the highest gives me annoyance with most of her skating with hunched back. Morozov. Clear that up.

All 3 want to be in the Finals. All Miki needs is another silver. If bronze she faces a problem with the other two if Sara gets gold and Caro gets silver.

Should be a very tense LP. Keep tuned.

Joe

I am willing to understand, if someone explains me where to find "interpretation" in Ando. Someone enlighten me, please.
I believe it's called the Russianization of Miki by Morozov. For me, it doesn't work. She needs another tune by Puccini, maybe or Ravel.

Joe

Just checked out Czisny, and to my surprise she had a basically clean skate. She made quite a lovely swan. All four Ladies have true lutzes, so no excuses for those that will only attempt and not learn.

Back to Alyssa. Her scores were fine but I think the PCS should have been higher. I do not know the standings thus far before the LP, but she should be in contention for the podium, if not the gold.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Given Czisny's PCS in the short program I cant see her winning unless Ando and even Kostner bomb out in the long. Both of those women had some problems in the short which reduced their scores remember, or they would be even further ahead. However I hope she has a great skate and makes the podium.

feraina

Record Breaker
Back to Alyssa. Her scores were fine but I think the PCS should have been higher.

Alas, speed is now a major factor in the Program Component scores. I don't know since when speed became such a dominating factor, since it's only one of a number of things that make a program enjoyable from the artistic/presentation point of view. But I see the emphasis in speed getting greater and greater under CoP. :unsure:

Alissa, while hitting beautiful positions, is much slower than the other top ladies, especially Carolina and Miki. She's lucky she got away with as high of PCS as she did!

By the way, does anyone have Yan Liu's SP? Thanks!

lovetowatch

Spectator
Alissa and Sara were the most enjoyable for me. Always glad to see them skate clean. Anyone have M/B LP?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I'm usually not a fan of girly-music, but I think Meier's program was the best performed among the women: she used her entire body, she was smooth, soft, and polished, and she's very musical. I love Kostner's flow and, in particular, the tight pattern of her COE spiral, but she is so stiff and upright going into her 3/3 and 3Lz, with a substantial gap between her steps and her Lutz, and she telegraphs her toe jumps badly. I much preferred her turning 3's into 3Lo. Ando looks labored to me, and I don't think the way she moves her body is organic.

Khokhlova reminds me of Klimova in the way she is so finished with the turnout and toe point of her free leg. Virtue was quite beautiful in the same way -- for the first time, I pretty much ignored Moir -- and I saw some lovely leg work by Sinead Kerr. I love Delobel/Schoenfelder's OD -- it's original, an actual folk dance, and it's a terrific character role for him. I wish they had had a Free Dance three or four years ago in which he was the center of the dance, the way Pink Panther forced Kostomarov to carry the program.. (Before that, he was pretty much a porter.) Schoenfelder is very live in this OD.

Last edited: