Nicole Bobek Takes Back the Ice At 'Caesars II Tribute' | Golden Skate

Nicole Bobek Takes Back the Ice At 'Caesars II Tribute'

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's great seeing someone making the most of their second chance. I always thought she could have a long career as a professional skater because all of her non-jump elements were spectacular. She is incredibly lucky because could have easily ended up behind bars for 10 years.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I was one of those people that loved her. I hope she has her life together and it does take lots of guts to come back from the edge and put yourself out there. I have my fingers crossed that she has straightened up and is flying right....

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i loved that 1995 video of her. What jumps she had! and watching her and Todd was so cute. Almost like the Mirai/Evan relationship in 2009-10.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I love her skating! She's so graceful and elegant. I just don't think that she needs such a plunging deep neck line. Her skating itself is more than enough:)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
The stunning blond is back. I know she was pretty good at ballet and no one has more beautiful arms/hands. I wonder how the others fared that were not skating stars. She certainly looks the sexy, grown up lady.

I am thrilled Tara will skate and I know she will be good. It's a shame she fell out with SOI. I wonder what she does besides decorating. Yes, she has her commentary work once in a while, but I hope she and Sarah use their gold medals to do great things for the community. I wonder why MK won't skate in any show that Yuna is not doing? Big bucks in Korea, yes, but her fans were here and they helped her in the medals. Kind of disappointed that Michelle seems to have put skating/her fans in the past.

One show in LA ATS in 2010? C'mon Michelle-do some benefits!

ryanbfan

On the Ice
It's not a tribute without Michelle. I was never a Kwan fan but come on...

I'm glad Nicole is turning her life around and trying. That's very good for her :)

N

n_halifax

Any reviews or videos of this show ANYWHERE? I'd love to see/know how Liz, Laetitia and everyone skated (and what they all did). :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's a shame she fell out with SOI.

She didn't fall out, her injury kept her out. She couldn't handle the 66 cities. If she wanted, I bet Scott'd snatch her back up these days... they're only doing 10-15 shows now, right? Her hip could probably handle that...

no videos out yet as the broadcast won't be for a while yet, but Disson has pics up on their facebook page. Nicole looks amazing!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
She didn't fall out, her injury kept her out. She couldn't handle the 66 cities. If she wanted, I bet Scott'd snatch her back up these days... they're only doing 10-15 shows now, right? Her hip could probably handle that...

no videos out yet as the broadcast won't be for a while yet, but Disson has pics up on their facebook page. Nicole looks amazing!

Actually Tonichelle, I saw a video, or was it an interview, can't recall where she said she had "never been so badly treated in her life." SO there were people she was not getting along with. She made it sound like mgmt, although it is tough to interpret as she did not name names. She was also negating the hip issue in what I saw. So Scott is only one part of that operation esp 13 years ago. There are some reasons Tara (her mother) were not liked by the establishment and some big name skaters. If you want to see how Peggy feels about her, watch her interview on MK's Documentary on Youtube. Sorry, I have no idea which part-there are like 6-7, I think.

Tara paid a price for beating Michelle. And I'm sure there was jealousy regarding this tiny child phenom. She never fit in with the older skaters she was touring with. It was not a smooth 3 years. Maybe she'll write more in a book one day, but it looks like she wants to be in whatever shows there are. I am sad she was gone so long.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Re: Nicole, I remember there being a public spat between her and one of the Russian ice dancers (maybe Grishuk). Nicole has some choice words for her, so maybe that had something to do with her perceived poor treatment. Regardless, that was a lifetime ago for Nicole and I think we all know that we can say or do stupid things when we are young. The important thing is she got her life back together :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Actually Tonichelle, I saw a video, or was it an interview, can't recall where she said she had "never been so badly treated in her life." SO there were people she was not getting along with. She made it sound like mgmt, although it is tough to interpret as she did not name names. She was also negating the hip issue in what I saw. So Scott is only one part of that operation esp 13 years ago.

It was Sandra Besic whom she didn't get along with because Besic wanted her to rest her hip. She wasn't giving a quality performance and Besic as director said enough. Besic left SOI soon after also. Besic was one of Tara's choreographers IIRC, so it wasn't anything to do with MK. Scott was not a director at that point, but he had a say from the very beginning... She's always downplayed the hip thing - but so did Yags... and neither one of them ever made it fully back.

I am thrilled Tara will skate and I know she will be good. It's a shame she fell out with SOI. I wonder what she does besides decorating. Yes, she has her commentary work once in a while, but I hope she and Sarah use their gold medals to do great things for the community. I wonder why MK won't skate in any show that Yuna is not doing? Big bucks in Korea, yes, but her fans were here and they helped her in the medals. Kind of disappointed that Michelle seems to have put skating/her fans in the past.

One show in LA ATS in 2010? C'mon Michelle-do some benefits!

I too wonder why Michelle almost never skates here. If she never skated at all, that would be different, but she does skate in YuNa's shows, which are mostly mounted in Korea. I wish she'd do something specifically for American TV.

I heard that Tara wasn't happy on the SOI tour. It must have been hard for her, being a high school student out on the road with all those adults. Even if they were very nice, their lives had to be a world apart. At least on the SOI tour, there were skaters of various ages because most of them were current champions. Scott, Katarina, and the other SOI skaters had mostly stopped competing five to ten years earlier. (Mind you, I love SOI. The kind of group choreography that was custom-done for that show was visible nowhere else.)

Does anyone here know what else Tara is doing these days? I always found her to be very bright and articulate. I'd love to know that she's doing something substantial, as Michelle, Sarah, and Sasha are doing (Sasha having an active skating career, the other two pursuing studies and other professions). We've heard next to nothing about Tara's accomplishments, except for the few acting roles she had awhile ago, and she's got greater potential than that.

As for Nicole, fingers are crossed for her successful re-entry into a safe life.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Tara does interior design? and she's working as a Commentator on Universal/NBC Sports.

I knew about her being a commentator, and I enjoy her commentary. But I didn't know about the interior design. That's nice news, Tonichelle. I'll look that up to find out more.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Olympia, you should look at Tara's house she designed years ago. Gorgeous-on youtube...warning....it can make a girl envious. Everything top of the line-I'm sure she had design help-she was so young, but clearly learned a lot. It's huge.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Didn't read the article, but saw some pictures earlier this evening of the skaters, and hands down Nicole's costume was my favorite! :bow: :love:

This is the type of costume I always wanted Sarah Hughes to wear when she was competing, and she did actually wear a Greek white & gold outfit once, but nothing at all like Nicole's. The one I dreamed about is the one Nicole was wearing for this event. Such a magestic Greek style costume can only be worn by a tall, lithe, long-limbed female with the somatype of Nicole. :)

ETA: oops, I found it! Hopefully the FSU poster doesn't mind my posting it here: :eek:: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...137778.1031863565&type=3&l=00fd792aa0&theater