Disney on Ice skater critically injured | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Disney on Ice skater critically injured

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
TBH a helmet won't prevent this type of TBI. It's the sudden stop that causes an injury as the brain is still moving inside the skull and is bruised when it impacts the bone. A helmet won't stop that from happening. It can often prevent a skull fracture. If the brain is only bruised, it's typically a concussion. If parts of the brain is torn (I won't go into details for those who don't want to know), damage can be different. In either event, it's traumatic and I hope she recovers quickly. And, I feel for the partner as well.
I would guess MIPS helmets might possibly help with ice skating falls, in the sense of the slip plane redirecting the energy from angular and rotational impacts -- not that skaters are going to be wearing helmets, as someone already pointed out. And to think about what wearing a helmet would do to one's balance, and especially making one top heavy with a huge head - how to jump, be lifted, execute footwork with a helmet sized, unnaturally heavy head! But there is interesting safety technology out there -- also the inflatable helmets, now that I think about it. Anyway, MIPS helmets are increasingly used in equestrian sports, where falling from a horse jumping and/or galloping at speed can send riders head first into the ground at high velocity.

Sorry for the tangent. Glad to hear of the excellent prognosis!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
No new official report from the hospital, but the skater felt strong enough to post a message to her Instagram account Sunday.

Can't find the post that is being referred to in that article, but Anastasia posted this today:

https://www.instagram.com/stasiaolson/p/C3nOxVXrDgo/

Such beautiful words. She really is a beautiful soul.

In the comments on the Facebook version, she said she is much better now and is going to be OK.

So relieved to hear that.

Sending all my best wishes.

CaroLiza_fan

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would guess MIPS helmets might possibly help with ice skating falls, in the sense of the slip plane redirecting the energy from angular and rotational impacts -- not that skaters are going to be wearing helmets, as someone already pointed out. And to think about what wearing a helmet would do to one's balance, and especially making one top heavy with a huge head - how to jump, be lifted, execute footwork with a helmet sized, unnaturally heavy head! But there is interesting safety technology out there -- also the inflatable helmets, now that I think about it. Anyway, MIPS helmets are increasingly used in equestrian sports, where falling from a horse jumping and/or galloping at speed can send riders head first into the ground at high velocity.

Sorry for the tangent. Glad to hear of the excellent prognosis!
Equestrians also now wear air vests. Much different than when I was riding.