Nina Jiang and other young talents! | Golden Skate

Nina Jiang and other young talents!

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Are you already getting tired of the current elite skaters? Do you want to promote some new faces? :laugh::laugh: Wiith US Sectionals underway, you can do it here! Tell us some obscure young skaters you believe with great potential, boys, girls, pairs etc. Youtube links are preferrable to give us an idea!

I'm here to promote Nina Jiang. Jiang is only 11 years old and was crowned US Juvenile and Intermediate champions two years in a row. She just finished in 2nd place at Midwestern sectional championships and qualified for US Nationals at Novice level. At age of 11, Jiang is able to do two types of triples, 3T and 3S. She is really good!

Go Nina!! :rock::laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
She has a ton of potential for sure. As a note to those viewing these clips it is crystal clear that the posters of these vids recorded them off IceNetwork OnDemand streams and uploaded them to YouTube illegally. These postings violate IceNetwork's copyright. IN has several staffers combing YouTube daily in search of videos belonging exclusively to them and when they find them, they notify YouTube to remove them. YouTube not only takes them down but the posters accounts down, and all the videos there as well.

Part of their search routine includes checking all threads on skating forums for links to such videos. Golden Skate ought to be concerned with links to such videos being included here on the forum.

shopgirl543

Rinkside
There are a lot of very talented young skaters at the novice level this year.

Besides Nina, you should also watch the videos at icenetwork for Lauren Dinh (Midwesterns) and Yasmin Siraj (Eastern Sectionals).

Both of these skaters are able to complete triple jumps and should be battling Nina Jiang for the novice title this year.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
There are a lot of very talented young skaters at the novice level this year.

Besides Nina, you should also watch the videos at icenetwork for Lauren Dinh (Midwesterns) and Yasmin Siraj (Eastern Sectionals).

Both of these skaters are able to complete triple jumps and should be battling Nina Jiang for the novice title this year.

I don't like Lauren Dinh's thin legs. She rotates very fast but her triples seem tiny.
There's another novice lady(can't recall her name) who performs very consistently throughout the year, but bombed badly in free skate at Midwestern sectionals.

shopgirl543

Rinkside
I don't like Lauren Dinh's thin legs. She rotates very fast but her triples seem tiny.
There's another novice lady(can't recall her name) who performs very consistently throughout the year, but bombed badly in free skate at Midwestern sectionals.

That was McKinzie Daniels. She did the same thing last year at Junior Nationals, except she bombed in the short program and then had to fight back in her free skate.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
That was McKinzie Daniels. She did the same thing last year at Junior Nationals, except she bombed in the short program and then had to fight back in her free skate.

Yeah, Daniels. She posted very high scores at a couple of competitions throughout the year, and skated very well in SP at Sectionals. She seemed to be a major contender for this year's novice national champion. But bang,a total meltdown in free skate, and she didn't even qualify for the Nationals. The FP videos are not up yet, it'll be interesting to see what happened.

Nina Jiang seems to be the opposite. She always seems to pull up at the right time. LOL. Lauren Dinh has one more triple than Jiang. I think she has a 3loop.

I watched the Jr. pairs' SP of Eastern sectionals. One pair impressed me, and I think they won the Sectionals.

Last edited:

shopgirl543

Rinkside
I watched the Jr. pairs' SP of Eastern sectionals. One pair impressed me, and I think they won the Sectionals.

Tracy Tanovich and Michael Chau from Florida. They were 2nd last year at nationals as juniors, so they should be the favorites for gold this year.

Nina Jiang seems to be the opposite. She always seems to pull up at the right time. LOL. Lauren Dinh has one more triple than Jiang. I think she has a 3loop.

It would defintely be pretty amazing for Nina to win 3 national titles back to back. Lauren may have 1 more triple, but I think the overall quality of her skating is behind both Nina and Yasmin.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Tracy Tanovich and Michael Chau from Florida. They were 2nd last year at nationals as juniors, so they should be the favorites for gold this year.

It would defintely be pretty amazing for Nina to win 3 national titles back to back. Lauren may have 1 more triple, but I think the overall quality of her skating is behind both Nina and Yasmin.

I have to take a look at Yasmin. I seem to remember this name at last year's Jr. Nationals. She didn't impress me much at that time. Any other names that might be Nina's main rivals from other sectionals ? I'm definitely rooting for Jiang, hopefully it will not jinx her chance!

shopgirl543

Rinkside
I have to take a look at Yasmin. I seem to remember this name at last year's Jr. Nationals. She didn't impress me much at that time. Any other names that might be Nina's main rivals from other sectionals ? I'm definitely rooting for Jiang, hopefully it will not jinx her chance!

Both Angela Wang and Kelly Nguyen qualified from the Pacific Coast Sectionals to nationals. I believe both of them were on the podium last year at junior nationals.

Also, Kiri Baga did beat Nina at Midwesterns, so she could also be a contender.

I think novice ladies will be one the most competitive events at nationals this year.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Both Angela Wang and Kelly Nguyen qualified from the Pacific Coast Sectionals to nationals. I believe both of them were on the podium last year at junior nationals.

Also, Kiri Baga did beat Nina at Midwesterns, so she could also be a contender.

I think novice ladies will be one the most competitive events at nationals this year.

I agree Kiri Baga might be a big threat. She seems to be a strong jumper. I have to rewatch the tape. I remember Wang and Nguyen. I don't think they're that good. Both can squeeze out tiny triples though.

I am watching Eastern sectionals. Wow, Joanna Nishimoto really impressed me. Her basic skating skills are superb. Deep edge and kneel, effortless stroking. Anybody knows her background? What happened to her in free skate? She didn't even advance to the Nationals. Viviana seems to be a very very powerful jumper, which is rare among these tiny ballerias.

Just found Joanna Nishimoto's videos at Regionals. Too bad she only has one unreliable triple jump.

Last edited:

AdamFan

Rinkside
Speaking of youngins, does anyone know how Nagasu, Flatt and Zhang did at Pre Juvenile, Juvenile, Intermediate and Novice (especially before 2004-2005).

They are all from California originally, so they should've all competed against each other. Flatt is a year older, but they seemed to have progressed a year faster than her up until 2006-2007.

Has Flatt always beaten Zhang?
Nagasu mentioned always losing to Zhang (except at Pre Juvenile)

Also--I am impressed with how consistent Nina Jiang is. She seems prepared at each level and very consistent. This must help her confidence and competitive abilities. She doesn't appear to be being rushed at all.

Is she the same age as Zhang was at Novice (I want to say she is.) Also- does anyone know if Nina Jiang can land the Loop, Flip or Lutz (Flutz) in practice?

She seems to be getting her triples pretty consistent. She has a lean sometimes, but many skaters are so inconsistent with triples at the lower levels. I like how she maintains her composure and her performance level at all times. Her charisma is what makes her stand out over Lauren Dinh and Lexie Hood. Hood also doesn't seem to really have her triples.

Who else has Nina Jiang's coach worked with? Does anyone think Nina will eventually switch coaches if she keeps advancing at this rate?

Who are Angela Wang, Kelly Nguyen, Yasmin Siraj and Kiri Baga coached by?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
here's a surprise ;) I nominate KEEGAN MESSING from Alaska (he skates for Anchorage FSC but he's from Girdwood which is its own town even if Anchorage claims it as a bedroom community... but that's a different rant lol). He's got the technical, now he just has to work a bit more on the polish. But I absolutely LOVE to watch him!

JGP 2008

Long program - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f4TJ-mUf2U
Short program - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwqxIUNMC2o

feraina

Record Breaker
Speaking of youngins, does anyone know how Nagasu, Flatt and Zhang did at Pre Juvenile, Juvenile, Intermediate and Novice (especially before 2004-2005).

I dug up some info before at unseenskaters forum, where you can look at older threads regarding the regionals and sectionals at lower levels. Unfortunately I don't remember all the details.

Has Flatt always beaten Zhang?
Nagasu mentioned always losing to Zhang (except at Pre Juvenile)

No, Flatt didn't always beat Zhang. Their relative ranking kinda went back and forth over the years, but there's also a cohort of skaters who skated up through the levels with them and were as or even more successful. This includes Ashley Wagner, btw, who was skating out of Alaska. Anyway, besides Ashley, the other youngsters that went through the levels with them haven't achieved as much success at the senior level, yet. Although I'm hoping Laney Diggs will have a breakthrough. She skated beautifully at regional's. She skates with so much spunk and joy, and she hit beautiful spin positions.

Also--I am impressed with how consistent Nina Jiang is. She seems prepared at each level and very consistent. This must help her confidence and competitive abilities. She doesn't appear to be being rushed at all.

Actually, she didn't skate clean LP programs at either regionals or sectionals. I'm a little worried about her jump technique, she hunches over so much on landing, and sometimes she gets so little height on the triples (but the 2A is huge!)

Is she the same age as Zhang was at Novice (I want to say she is.) Also- does anyone know if Nina Jiang can land the Loop, Flip or Lutz (Flutz) in practice?

Yes. Zhang was 11 at novice, 12 at junior (1st year), where she placed 8th at National's and was featured in that Little Girls Have Dreams Too segment with that amazing combination spin that she never does anymore! Zhang subsequently got JGP's the next season at 13, and the rest is history. ;)

Who else has Nina Jiang's coach worked with? Does anyone think Nina will eventually switch coaches if she keeps advancing at this rate?
I hope so! Her coach mainly works with low-level skaters. She has a lot of natural talent in terms of skating skills, power, and presentation, but she's being taught bad triple jump technique (see above), as well as arm movements that are too stiff and looking too affected.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I have a list of skaters from our area:

DeeDee Leng in Junior Ladies (4th at Midwesterns this weekend) who is in a state of flux with her coaching situation at the moment and has been recovering from injury. She's 14 and landed 3/3's at Skate Detroit, DuPage, and Chicago Open over the last couple years. She was 5th last year at Mids in Junior Ladies.

Jason Thomas in Novice Men (4th at Midwesterns this weekend) who has all triples through Lutz when he's on. He was 6th last year at Mids in Novice Men.

Jason Brown in Novice Men (2nd at Midwesterns this weekend) who has 3S and 3T and absolute charm and charisma similar to Kurt Browning while he's on the ice. He was 2nd in Intermediate at JNs last year.

I was disappointed to see McKinzie Daniel finish 11th in LP. I really thought she was going to make it to Nationals. Her jumps are HUGE, her spins are fast, she's tall and willowy and has great ice presence. She has 3S and 3T in her program along with 2A and I saw her land a clean 3F/2T in a jump competition this summer that counted under IJS.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
A summary article on Midwestern Sectional Championships. Jiang was mentioned. :love::love:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6113728.html

For Jiang, winner of back-to-back juvenile and intermediate national titles, the week has been days well spent. Despite a second consecutive performance with landing errors that cost her precious points, she placed second Friday in the ladies’ novice division and clinched a spot at the national championships in January in Cleveland.
Jiang, a sixth-grader at First Colony Middle School, began skating as a 4-year-old in one of Shanyn Vallon’s group classes at the Sugar Land ice center. Seven years later, the Missouri City resident has two triple jumps in her short program and three triples plus two double axels in her long program.

“I like to feel like everybody is watching me,” she said. “And I like to meet new friends and travel places and know that you have friends there waiting for you.”

Skaters have to be at least 13 to enter the international Junior Grand Prix circuit, so the next two years will be a time to focus on consistency and to process lessons from days like Friday, when she stayed on her feet despite two landing errors.

“I think she’s learned that it’s OK to be nervous at a competition, but you have to be more brave than scared,” Vallon said. “This is going to be a great year for her. She’ll have time to grow and mature without having so much pressure on her.”

Like Jiang, LaMay spends hours each week practicing. But neither comes across as a rink rat. Jiang plays the piano and the viola, and while LaMay was preparing for sectionals she also was fretting about Stratford’s chances against Katy in this weekend’s Class 5A football playoffs.

Wow, this sounds so sad especially hearing from a little 11-year-old girl.

They’ve got years to work and miles to travel, and they have chosen to tackle a sport in which, as Jiang said, “Sometimes it’s hard to think positively.”
To fulfill their dreams, there will be many, many more days like these.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Nina impressed me in 2008, but this year she looks 4 years older and did not land any clean triples. I think that her best days are behind her.

Down in the Juvenile level Cheryl Douglass and Ibuki Mori are both extremly impressive. They both have Caroline's stretch and flexibility, very good artistry and Ibuki is working on her triple salchow. I hope they can keep up that level through the growth spurts etc.

shopgirl543

Rinkside
Who are Angela Wang, Kelly Nguyen, Yasmin Siraj and Kiri Baga coached by?

Angela Wang trains in Salt Lake City and is coached by Lisa Kriley.

Kelly Nguyen trains in California is coached by Rafael Arutyunyan.

Yasmin Siraj trains in Boston and is coached by Mark Mitchell and Peter Johansson.

Kira Baga trains in Minnesota, but I am not sure who coaches her.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Note: US figure skating is asserting rights to Grand Prix programs, Europeans, US Nationals and 4C's from this year. They also own rights to all regionals and sectionals. Please do not post links to videos from these sources.

Although they are not sharing footage of the exhibitions at the GP events, they are having Youtubers banned for posting exhibiton footage. I think it's fair to assume they own those rights, but are just not exercising them. They have the right to protect those too.

The JGP link that Toni posted should be fine, as USFS and IN are not claiming JGP broadcast rights, although I believe they will be airing Jr Worlds and I think JGPF also.

Also posts from non US Nationals should be fine and from small summer competitions.

It would be easier to avoid violating their ownership if they would post a clear list of what they own.

Last edited:

just wondering

On the Ice
Nina impressed me in 2008, but this year she looks * * *
Down in the Juvenile level Cheryl Douglass and Ibuki Mori are both extremly impressive. They both have Caroline's stretch and flexibility, very good artistry and Ibuki is working on her triple salchow. I hope they can keep up that level through the growth spurts etc.

Are these girls Juve or Intermediate? Oh wait, I think Mori is Intermediate & Douglass is Juvenile. Regardless, they are great to watch! JW