Nina Jiang and other young talents! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Nina Jiang and other young talents!

What is the basis of U.S. Figure Skating's claims to videos from Europeans, Four Continents, etc.? What does USFSA have to do with these events?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For this year, it is supposed to have bought the rights to them from the ISU, the same way it acquired the rights to CoC, TEB, SC, CoR, and NHK for this year.

It is quite frustrating that I haven't found a good link for exactly what they own the broadcast rights to, but I'm assuming it is, anything that is on IN's future schedule will be involved.

It's also frustrating that they are taking down 2007/2008 GP events other than SA, as SA was the only event they broadcast, as ESPN had the rights to the other events.

Youtube has taken to posting US Figure Skating has requested that this video be removed rather than this content was removed for infringement. They must have been getting quite some flak to cause them to do that.

Mathman, please check out antmanb's very knowledgeable comments in Le Cafe on this subject. He works in the area of intellectual property law in the UK.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
For this year, it is supposed to have bought the rights to them from the ISU, the same way it acquired the rights to CoC, TEB, SC, CoR, and NHK for this year.

The legal basis for youtube to take down the videos is because youtube is based in US. dailymotion has servers around the world, if a person outside of US posts a GP event video on dailymotion's server outside of U.S., there is absolutely no legal basis for dailymotion to take any action.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
fiercemao, please read the thread in LeCafe and especially antmanb's posts. The issue is not where the server is, it is where the viewer is. It is dailymotion's responsibility to prohibit US residents from viewing prohibited content.

If dm has the ability to block videos from being viewed in the US, that is one way to comply. If it doesn't the only choice it has is to have the videos taken down.

Now dm may not be as compliant on this as youtube. Many groups are suing youtube, including viacom and, antmanb said, some soccer leagues (he said football, but as it was European based, I'm pretty sure he meant soccer). DM not so much as it is more unknown, and not such a target for suit.

(This is like music filesharing operations that were not napster. They tended to slide under the radar.)

And their stated policy for getting footage removed is rather more involved than youtube's. But the legal basis is the same. DM allows me, a US viewer, to see a broadcast to which another company owns the broadcast rights, which is a violation of those broadcast rights.

antmanb

Record Breaker
The legal basis for youtube to take down the videos is because youtube is based in US. dailymotion has servers around the world, if a person outside of US posts a GP event video on dailymotion's server outside of U.S., there is absolutely no legal basis for dailymotion to take any action.

No it isn't. You seem to refuse to listen to any of the arguments. It has nothing to do with where the servers are based and everything to do with what the contract IceNetwork has signed and the rights that have been granted. Since neither your nor I know what that contract says, we can only speculate. But since USFS has successfully had GP videos removed from youtube, it is fair to say that any other internet "broadcaster" will have to follow suit.

Ant

AdamFan

Rinkside
Has anyone else noticed that Kelly Nguyen slows down when going into her double axel the way Caroline Zhang does? Who coached Caroline at the lower levels?

Perhaps this is something common at the lower levels and habit that Zhang just hasn't broken yet?

ks777

Record Breaker
Has anyone else noticed that Kelly Nguyen slows down when going into her double axel the way Caroline Zhang does? Who coached Caroline at the lower levels?

Perhaps this is something common at the lower levels and habit that Zhang just hasn't broken yet?

Sandra Holmes, perhaps?

fiercemao

Match Penalty
No it isn't. You seem to refuse to listen to any of the arguments. It has nothing to do with where the servers are based and everything to do with what the contract IceNetwork has signed and the rights that have been granted. Since neither your nor I know what that contract says, we can only speculate. But since USFS has successfully had GP videos removed from youtube, it is fair to say that any other internet "broadcaster" will have to follow suit.

Ant

This argument is fairly ridiculous, please see my counter-argument here.
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24916&page=5

entire post.

It is even more difficult for IN to sue YOUTUBE because again IN does not have the rights on those video materials, the videos are not intended for American viewers. IN can argue that YOUTUBE has the obligation to block American viewers from seeing those videos. Sine they're not doing so, they have to take down the videos completely. I'm not sure how strong this argument is in legal terms. YOUTUBE can argue American viewers have initiated the request to youtube server, and they have no control. Second, they don't have a mature technology to selectively block American viewers from seeing these videos. Let's have a similar example. Assuming a satellite broadcast Company A in Canada has the exlusive broadcast rights of GP events in Canada, and broadcast company B has the exclusive broadcast rights in the US. Obviously due to the technology limitation, some parts of the US territory, especially US-Canada border will be able to receive the satellite signal, there's simply no way to avoid this. Can company B claim Company A in Canada violates their exlusive broadcast rights in US under such circumstances?

Last edited by a moderator:

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Anybody interested in seeing Jessica Rose Paetsch & Drew Meekins, Tracy Tanovich & Michael Chau's performances at Sectionals, please PM me!

Tanovich & Chau are good.

oleada

Record Breaker
Tanovich & Chau were my favorite team at US Junior Nationals last year. I really hope he has grown some, though! I'd hate to see them break up because she gets too big for him.

I think Nina Jiang is lovely, but she's grown a lot and seems to get a lot of lean in her triples which means she tends to fall on them a lot. Definitely something that needs to be fixed.

I think Ellie Kawamura has some of the greatest expression among the Junior ladies. I hope she can medal at nationals. :rock:

From the international perspective, I think the young Russians Polina Shelepen and Elizaveta Tuktamysheva are really talented. Shelepen has a 3F-3Lo (as you can see in the video below) and a 3Lz-3T-2T. Now she needs to work on her expression. I think with the right programs she could be artistic but the boring music isn't helping. Her positions certainly are lovely - she's one of the few people who should be allowed to do a Biellman. She's eligible for the JGP next season:

This season's LP, she lands a good 3F-3Lo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a6fR7ouw-s

Her SP elements: 3F+3Lo<, 3Lz, 2A, L4 on Combination spin and spiral sequence. Score: 49.95
LP: 3F+3Lo, 3Lz+2T, 2A, 3S+2T+2Lo, 3Lz, 3F, 3T, L4 on all spins. Score: 96.46

Tuktamysheva is younger (12?) and has all the triples. I know she's trying the 3T-3T this season with varying degrees of sucess. I love her basics and her nice, age appropriate style. I'd like to see her this season and see if she's improved her toe-axel. She scored 45.38 in the SP and 81.77 in the LP for a total of 127.15 to win the Novice title at Coupe de Nice. She had two falls and an extra combo, so she could have done even better. Her jumps were: 3Lz, 3Lz+2T+2Lo, 3S, 3T+3T< (fall), 3Lo, 2A+2A+SEQ (didn't count). No edge calls or downgrades except on the triple-triple attempt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_66EreCuhq8&feature=related

She scored higher at a Russia Cup event: 154,41 (56,56 - 97,85). By comparison, Katarina Gerboldt scored 155 in the Senior Ladies in that same event. She won the third Russia Cup in senior ladies in Kazan with 151.35.

Last edited:

AdamFan

Rinkside
Is icenetwork ever going to post any of the other videos from sectionals?

I feel bad for Drew Meekins. He is arguably the best pairs skater in America, but he can't seem to get the right partner. Jessica Rose seems to be heading down the path of his last partner.

Maybe he could convince Alexe Gilles to be his partner. They train at the same rink. Odds are she won't be an Olympian in singles.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Is icenetwork ever going to post any of the other videos from sectionals?

I feel bad for Drew Meekins. He is arguably the best pairs skater in America, but he can't seem to get the right partner. Jessica Rose seems to be heading down the path of his last partner.

Maybe he could convince Alexe Gilles to be his partner. They train at the same rink. Odds are she won't be an Olympian in singles.

Jessica's body has changed drastically since last season. She still can't land any jump.

Last edited by a moderator: