Now that it's official, can Michelle win the OGM? | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Now that it's official, can Michelle win the OGM?

cianni

On the Ice
havanamesa1

On this point I agree. Irina has deserved to win the comps shes won this season however the marks have been so inflated that the judge who I watch the comps with admits they are inflated. My concern is no skater will be marked fair in order to insure she will win. I want Michelle and Irina on the podium but only if they deserve to win and the marks are fair. I still maintain we may be in for a surprise. I also smell a scandel brewing. We will see.

curious

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Trust me Curious, you would not be happy if Johnny and Sasha won the gold medals in Torino even though you like them.:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Joe

I could say the same thing about you lol! They are not my faves but wouldn't mind seeing them in the podium. You don't want to see any russian win anything cause they are Russians right? lol! Esa es la unica verdad por eso no puedes contestar mi pregunta verdad Joe lol!:biggrin:

Last edited:
curious said:
I could say the same thing about you lol! They are not my faves but wouldn't mind seeing them in the podium. You don't want to see any russian win anything cause they are Russians right? lol! Esa es la unica verdad por eso no puedes contestar mi pregunta verdad Joe lol!:biggrin:
Curious - Parece tambien vd ha estudiad la lingua 101. Es muy importante in Los Estados Unidas.

Say the same thing about me. I'd like Lambiel to win with Klimkin and Takahashi on the podium. But I don't see that as possible. You will get your wish.:banging:

Joe:biggrin:

JanJam

Rinkside
havanamesa1 said:
This is CoP. All the judges need to do is inflate Irina's SP scores and NO ONE will be able to catch up, regardless of how bad Irina does in her LP... Irina WILL win!

Yes, the SP is the deciding factor, and I agree, Cianni. We'll find out soon how big a gap the judges will create between Irina and the second placer during the SP, such that that second placer won't be able to catch up even with a perfect skate i the LP...

If anyone knows the Sleeping Beauty ballet, you would know that the star does not make an appearance until the second act and when she does, she comes out cold, and she dances immediately. Not easy, without a feel for the stage and audience.

So I think of La Kwan. The SP will skated without any previous feel for the competitive year. Not easy. If there is a fault free SP, then maybe, just maybe, we have a competitor here for the LP. Breaths are baiting.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
JanJam said:
Yes, the SP is the deciding factor, and I agree, Cianni. We'll find out soon how big a gap the judges will create between Irina and the second placer during the SP, such that that second placer won't be able to catch up even with a perfect skate i the LP...
It depends who is the 2nd place. If it's an out inconsistant one, but with an excelent SP, the score after SP may be close.....you got to see the GP result that Mao beat both Sasha and Irina....some manuve like this could happen....But I wish all skaters being judged fairly. Even this you can't guarantee no scandals, scandals could be different types, not necessary judging related........the dramas already start.....Let the game begin. We'll see.

JanJam

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
If anyone knows the Sleeping Beauty ballet, you would know that the star does not make an appearance until the second act and when she does, she comes out cold, and she dances immediately. Not easy, without a feel for the stage and audience.

So I think of La Kwan. The SP will skated without any previous feel for the competitive year. Not easy. If there is a fault free SP, then maybe, just maybe, we have a competitor here for the LP. Breaths are baiting.

Joe

If her 2A doesn't give her any problems, I won't be surprised if Kwan's SP is brilliant despite coming out of the cold. (Hasn't she always done great in her SPs, anyway?) But even with a perfect skate, her score won't top Irina's, and even with a perfect LP skate, she still won't win the gold. So she should prepare herself now for all the flak she's going to get after "losing" for the third time.

Vash01

Medalist
antmanb said:
Replying to my own post just to possibly correct...i think in 1998 the pairs SP still had two footwork sequencees and no throw jump in it so the throw jump comment on W&S might not apply if that's the case.

In any event i still think B&S had better SBS jumps and spins and neater lifts with better ice coverage than W&S to warrant placing above them.

Ant

If I understand correctly that you are talking about the LP's:

In addition, W&S were skating with an injury to Ingo. They were not as good as they were in the past (actually she had two footed the landings of both throws when they won the worlds). Their lifts had a lot of ice flying, not much attention to posture, and of course no speed in their skating. They had one minor mistake- a singled double axel. B&S placed higher based on the presentation marks which were always their strength.

Vash

cmego500

Rinkside
I truly think that Irena's scores won't be as inflated as they have in other competitions the past year. The Olympic Committee will talk to the judges for sure and tell them to be 100% fare to everyone cuz the last thing they need is yet another scandal. And you can bet that if Michelle throws out there two perfect programs while Irina does 1 or 2 mistakes, you can ber your bootie that the USFSA will file a complaint and maybe even win it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Maybe, but it depends on the level MK skates at.

What do you say during Nats when Cohen clearly wasn't perfect and clearly didn't have the difficulty that Kimmie did (TWO 3-3s), yet won by almost 30 points?? Where's the argument that Kimmie should have won Nats?

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:

What do you say during Nats when Cohen clearly wasn't perfect and clearly didn't have the difficulty that Kimmie did (TWO 3-3s), yet won by almost 30 points?? Where's the argument that Kimmie should have won Nats?

I agree on the first part, but Kimmie doesn't count because people fall asleep when they watch her. ;)

3lutz3toe

Rinkside
Red Dog said:

Do you realize that it was US Nats? Hello, have u heard of inflated scores?

3lutz3toe

Rinkside
JanJam said:

This is one of the reason that I don't like the points cumulative as opposed to ordinals. With cumulative points, and inflated scores, the faves always come out on top, even w/ mistakes. More so than if it was under ordinal placements.

R.D.

Record Breaker
3lutz3toe said:
Do you realize that it was US Nats? Hello, have u heard of inflated scores?

Sure I have. ;)

But that shouldn't matter, because in that case, not only were Cohen's scores inflated, Kimmie's scores were as well, and Emily's, and Katy's, and Alissa's, etc.

Still doesn't account for the big gap between Cohen and Meissner. Chances are there WOULD be such a gap even if it was judged by international judges. But it still doesn't get to the heart of my question...Kimmie was doing more difficult jumps out there on the ice, and yet Cohen still left her in the dust. Why?

If Nats was judged under the 6.0 system, would Cohen still have won?

P.S. welcome to GS. :agree:

I agree on the first part, but Kimmie doesn't count because people fall asleep when they watch her.

Well, ok, I guess you're right. :biggrin: I know I think that Kimmie is not the most exciting skater out there, but I do like her guts and willingness to take risks, unlike other top skaters out there. But PERSONALLY, I don't really get the hoopla behind Cohen. Seriously- the only performance of hers that I can say I truly enjoyed was the first exhibition she did in Boston. All her others- I find her quite zzz at times. No spark, no freedom, just tightness and caution. Even Kwan's Bolero was more exciting. :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
VIETgrlTerifa said:
Now that was just mean! Poor Sasha.

I don't think Sasha cares what I think :laugh:

Actually, I like Bolero (the song), so that was a somewhat redeeming factor that year. But I liked Kwan's Bolero Nats performance much more than I did Cohen's. She (SC) just has this "yawn" style. Lately, I feel she's been opening up a bit more during her performances (I'm actually starting to feel SOMETHING) but, still don't get the big scoop. Still don't dig her much.

I actually voted for Kwan in the second half of that "competition" because I was simply bored to death by Cohen's performance.

Don't get me wrong, if she does the right program, she can be a great entertainer (like her DROMP exhibition), but man, she can a be downright snoozer as well...no offense to her or her fans, but wow...I just really wish she would lay it out on the line and go all out with the spark and the determination that I know she has. Perhaps then it might be worth it to watch her perform other than just watching to find out if she'll fall or not.

But I digress...back to Michelle...:biggrin:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
For Red Dog...Kimmie v Sasha at US Nats

Well, if it was a contest for who could complete a couple of 3X3's, Kimmie would have won. Unfortunately for Kimmie, it was a contest including 2 different programs with jumps + other stuff. ;) (I'm jazzing you here..)

Kimmie missed her combo in the SP, and had a fall in the LP on a singled Axel. Those two things alone cost her a lot of points. Her levels and execution of spins and spirals and FW IMO are nowhere near Sasha (yet). If you take a look at the score sheets the point spread is easily justified IMO.

DG

Hi 3Lutz3Toe. I join Red Dog (words I never thought I would ever be writing, LOL ;) ) in welcoming you to Golden Skate. Post often, post long.

Mathman :)