Oberstdorf travel for a newbie? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Oberstdorf travel for a newbie?

theblade

On the Ice
Is there a non-train option for getting to Oberstdorf from the airport? I have just seen that the airport is away from Munich proper, and Oberstdorf is a diagonal line down in the other direction, 195-ish km all told. Does the area have a standard small shuttle/town car company option that goes to these regional towns from the airport? I will have a suitcase, so the train would be a bit unwieldy.

I am fluent in French, but not German, so this is where I get a bit daunted by figuring this stuff out.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Is there a non-train option for getting to Oberstdorf from the airport? I have just seen that the airport is away from Munich proper, and Oberstdorf is a diagonal line down in the other direction, 195-ish km all told. Does the area have a standard small shuttle/town car company option that goes to these regional towns from the airport? I will have a suitcase, so the train would be a bit unwieldy.

I am fluent in French, but not German, so this is where I get a bit daunted by figuring this stuff out.
Hey!

First: lots of people in Munich speak English, we're a city of international companies and foreigners, although not as much as Berlin. So I wouldn't worry about not speaking German. A few phrases are great, but you'll need it more in Oberstdorf than in the city. Second: lots of people take suitcases on the trains here. As far as I know, there are no direct shuttles. I have take the Sbahn with a checked bag, a carry on roller (attached to the top of the checked bag, thankfully) and a backpack more than once. I've take it with a small child and luggage. Totally doable, as long as you can lift your suitcases about 6-8" by yourself, which (imo) you should always be able to do. You could rent a car, but uh, don't. Driving in Germany, especially on the tiny roads in the Allgau is an adventure. ((Although, I don't drive at all here, so take my advice with a grain of salt.))

Here's what I would recommend:
After you land in Munich, get your bag and follow the big S signs for the S bahn. You'll walk FOREVER. Then, there will be a bank of red and white/silver (IDK) Deutsche Bahn (DB) automats. Select English. Get a Bayern ticket, this allows you to take the S bahn + any regional trains and is 27 Euros. You can't take an IC/ICE train with this ticket, but those don't go to Oberstdorf. Take the escalator downstairs to the Sbahn. I just peeked at DB (bahn.de) and it says to take the Sbahn to Pasing and then get on the train there, but check for your dates/times to get the best advice. That isn't my area of the city, so I have no info on if that's a good or bad idea as far as easy of transiting. That said, depending on when your flight gets in, you may have to overnight in Munich because the trains don't run all the time. For reference, a taxi from the airport to the city center is about 60-80 Euros. Lastly, I'll leave this below, which I copied directly from the Oberstdorf page for the Adult Competition in May.

19. Oberstdorf Information Travel
The easiest and cheapest way to get to Oberstdorf is by train. For any train journey starting after 0900 hours, the Organizing Committee recommends purchasing a “Bayern-Ticket”. This ticket will cover the entire journey from Munich or Memmingen airports to Oberstdorf at a considerable discount to the one-way single fare. Up to five people may travel together on the same Bayern-Ticket. All train tickets may be purchased at the ticket counter in Terminal 1 of Munich airport or at the ticket machines located in the airport terminals and on the platform of the airport train station (S-Bahn). Tickets may also be purchased in advance online at www.bahn.de or using the Deutsche Bahn app. When booking flights, please confirm that a train is available to take you to and from Oberstdorf. A return flight from Munich Airport before 11:00 am is not recommended because of the time needed to travel from Oberstdorf to Munich either by public transportation or by car. Most accommodation in Oberstdorf is walking distance from the rink and a car is not necessary unless you plan to stay further away. Bicycles can be rented locally.

Weathergal

Medalist
Their website says its closed for the season, until October. Although I'd heard it was open about 10 months of the year, so maybe they closed it early this year because of energy prices?
Thanks for the info. I was just curious since I think some skaters train there. Wonder where they train when it's closed?

yesterday

Record Breaker
Thanks for the info. I was just curious since I think some skaters train there. Wonder where they train when it's closed?
All major training centers will close at least once a year (typically summer) for maintenance etc.
They hopefully plan to not do this all during the same weeks so the skaters can relocate to another rink during this time.

k6267

Spectator
Oberstdorf is beautiful, one of my favourite smaller European cities. The restaurant inside the rink is quite good, not your typical rink restaurant. Lots of great other restaurants around town, and the little creperie wagons on several street corners are delicious. Look in to taking a side trip to Neuschwanstein Castle. It is about an hour away, and was the inspiration for the Castle at Disney. Fun fact: The ABC 'Wide World of Sports' opening montage that ends with "...and the agony of defeat" ski jump clip is from the 1970 International Ski Flying Championships in Oberstdorf. The ski jumps are still there, and can be seen from town on a clear day.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
About switching from the Sbahn to regional trains in Pasing: No problem, it's easier than switching at HBF. The platforms are all right next to each other.
The only problem is of course that Germany public transport sucks and delays should be expected.
But the people at the help desks speak ok English, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

If you arrive late, I recommend staying the night and taking a look at the city, I'm being told visitors kind of like the old city center XD

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I don’t think they train there anymore, but I know there was a junior or senior level pairs couple that would train in the US over the summer.

theblade

On the Ice
Benjamin and Jennifer have spent some time the past two summers at Igor's camp in Michigan, IIRC.

theblade

On the Ice
So, another question: is there a car service or mini-van service that drives to-and-from Oberstdorf from the Munich airport? If I have a suitcase and two carry-ons I am not exactly relishing the train option into town at this point.

RUKen

Rinkside
So, another question: is there a car service or mini-van service that drives to-and-from Oberstdorf from the Munich airport? If I have a suitcase and two carry-ons I am not exactly relishing the train option into town at this point.
I don't know the answer to this, but I want to emphasize that Oberstdorf is a very walkable town. The train station is right at the edge of the pedestrian zone, and 90% of the town is on flat ground in the valley. Unless you are staying in one of the vacation apartments located behind the ice rink, you would not have to climb any hills to reach your destination.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Generally, that's too far apart I'd say.
Googling will always come up with something, e.g. https://www.suntransfers.com/munich-airport-to-oberstdorf (don't know if that's trustable)

But with this distance, train or a long distance bus is usually the go-to.

theblade

On the Ice
I don't know the answer to this, but I want to emphasize that Oberstdorf is a very walkable town. The train station is right at the edge of the pedestrian zone, and 90% of the town is on flat ground in the valley. Unless you are staying in one of the vacation apartments located behind the ice rink, you would not have to climb any hills to reach your destination.
I have been trying to figure out the train schedule and I'm afraid I am not having success. I have an 11:30 a.m. flight back to the U.S. So presumably I'd have to be at the Munich airport at 8:30 a.m. to get through check-in and security checkpoints.

Can't seem to decipher if there is an early enough train to get from Oberstdorf all the way to not just Munich, but the Munich airport, by 8:30 a.m.

theblade

On the Ice
Generally, that's too far apart I'd say.
Googling will always come up with something, e.g. https://www.suntransfers.com/munich-airport-to-oberstdorf (don't know if that's trustable)

But with this distance, train or a long distance bus is usually the go-to.
Yeah, I was just wondering if there are some popular European car services or mini-shuttles. Just because Oberstdorf is such a popular international destination; thought they might have some small options that aren't quite taxis or ride-shares, but established transportation mini-shuttles going back-and-forth.

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I don't know what day you are travelling. From monday to friday there is a train connection leaving Oberstdorf t 5:21 arrivng Munich Airport at 8:35. I would recommand to transfer to Munich the day before, stay there for one night, an leaving there the next mornign with S-Bahn or take the Airport-Bus (every 20 min).

icewhite

Record Breaker
I have been trying to figure out the train schedule and I'm afraid I am not having success. I have an 11:30 a.m. flight back to the U.S. So presumably I'd have to be at the Munich airport at 8:30 a.m. to get through check-in and security checkpoints.

Can't seem to decipher if there is an early enough train to get from Oberstdorf all the way to not just Munich, but the Munich airport, by 8:30 a.m.

Just never, ever rely on German trains to be punctual if you actually need to be anywhere at a certain time. Like, catch a plane.
Really, better stay in Munich the night before.

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany
taking a car is not better. On the way from Oberstdorf to Airport Munich are 4 tunnels with Height Control. And for a reason I don't know, every second day there is a traffic jam because a signifciat number of truck drivers can't read or don't know the height of their trucks and drive into the tunnel and everybody has to wait that the the truck is accompanied by police out of the tunnel

theblade

On the Ice
So appreciate these insights. Sigh. I recognize the value of a train ride (even with luggage) because tracks are a lot easier than streets/highways. I really was hoping to avoid leaving the night before on a train.

So is it hopeless? If my flight is as 11:30 a.m. in Munich, would leaving Oberstdorf on the (hopefully) 5:21 a.m. train not be enough time to make it to the airport to allow for check-in and security and make my flight?

icewhite

Record Breaker
So appreciate these insights. Sigh. I recognize the value of a train ride (even with luggage) because tracks are a lot easier than streets/highways. I really was hoping to avoid leaving the night before on a train.

So is it hopeless? If my flight is as 11:30 a.m. in Munich, would leaving Oberstdorf on the (hopefully) 5:21 a.m. train not be enough time to make it to the airport to allow for check-in and security and make my flight?

Look, I don't want to make you nervous for nothing, it's just that I have been quite traumatized by our trains in recent times... lol...
Okay, if you take the 5.21 you will have to change in addition, right...? Oof, only the locals can tell you how often this train is on time... usually the morning trains are a lot better than during the day... but you won't have any spare time if something goes wrong.

beachmouse

On the Ice
I’d rather do the train the night before than have to fuss about an additional travel segment on flight day.

There are a ton of hotels near Munich HBF and the route between there and the airport is very heavily served. I’d be inclined to spend the last night near that train station to cut back on stress and complexity.

Alternately I don’t know what your budget is but you can often find the Munich Airport Hilton for less than 200 euros a night if you book far out and it’s literally across an open courtyard from the airport. The new wing is very pleasant and modern.