Official - European Championships Cancelled | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Official - European Championships Cancelled

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That is what any sensible person would say. But WADA aren't exactly known for being sensible about things. Look at when they were relentlessly going after Carolina when she wasn't even the one that was doping (it was her boyfriend).

They went after Carolina because she deliberately lied to testers which is a plain breach of anti-doping regulation, as well you know. Carolina wasn't a victim, she made a choice to break the rules, and paid the price.

Anyway, the real issue will continue to be how Olympic spots are decided. For me, I'm not entirely sure it's fair if Worlds goes ahead to use it for spots. Some skaters have had much more competition time this season purely by dint of where they're from.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I know it's the sensible decision, in fact I approve of it, but still. I was looking forward to Europeans. And Worlds...regardless of the spots for the Olympics. Just to see a high level international competition. Not physically...I realise it would have been without spectators on the floor. And I would be watching online in any case. I'm sad. It seems there is no perspective for the future anywhere, despite the vaccines. This feeling doesn't just refer to Figure Skating, but to life in general. And I've still got a job, and nothing to complain about. Except for losing a social life. Sorry, just a bit depressed.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I wonder how this will effect the skaters training. If you know that Nationals will be the end of the road, I wonder if skaters will "Dial Back" on difficulty knowing they won't be facing their international rival.

Last edited:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
It is not at all surprising to see the Euros being canceled at this stage. Just take a good look at how many Russian skaters have contracted this serious disease so far!

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I cannot imagine that they would prohibit professional sportsmen and sportswomen from getting the vaccine based on anti-doping concerns.
I agree. They shouldn't prohibit professional sportsmen and sportswomen from getting the vaccine based on anti-doping concerns. They should prohibit professional sportsmen and sportswomen from getting the vaccine based on giving priority to those sections of the population that are in more urgent need of it, such as the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions which put them at greatest risk.