Old vs New Jackson Boot Fits | Golden Skate

Old vs New Jackson Boot Fits

Myblade

Rinkside
Hi all, I'm a collegiate figure skater who returned to the ice after a 4.5 year break. Was working on 2S & 2toe when I quit, now 1 year later I'm finally caught up and working on those elements again. I went with the Jackson Premiere old line as my returning boot because the Jackson Freestyles fit great on me before. I also just like the old fashioned soles more haha. It took me a nasty 3-4 months to break the boots in, which kind of surprised me because as far as I can remember, the Freestyles required no break in period (it could also just be I got a lot weaker and skated a lot less in the beginning). Now they feel perfect, both in terms of fit and support, but I'm curious to see what my next boot would be because I can no longer find a pair of the old line Premieres anywhere. I'm skating around 10 hours a week now and intend on learning all my doubles, but I doubt I'll need a stiffer boot than the Premiere. (I suspect I might have over-booted by getting them as my first pair of returning skates, but I didn't have the budget to buy 2 different boots...) How does the new Jackson line compare? I tend to like the tops of my skates tight, if that makes a difference. Hopefully it'll be another year or 2 before I have to get new boots but I thought I should start thinking about it. Thanks in advance!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Agree with WM. If you're looking one to two years down the road, there's a good chance that Jackson will have new models out by then. Also, note that above the Premiere, Jackson currently has two separate lines: Synergy and 5000 series. Whether they will maintain that strategy is anyone's guess.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I agree with both @WednesdayMarch and @tstop4me. Just go with the flow right now and re-assess when you come to the point where you need new boots. There also might be other brands that could work for you.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
P.S., your Premieres took longer to break in because they are stiffer (rated 65) than Freestyles (rated 45) are.