Olympian Alysa Liu & father targeted in harassment campaign by Chinese spies | Golden Skate

Olympian Alysa Liu & father targeted in harassment campaign by Chinese spies

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm not sure whether this should be posted in Le Cafe or whether the Edge forum is okay, since the harassment occurred in connection with the Olympics. Alysa's father said that she was followed by a stranger while at the Olympics, and the man asked her to come to his apartment. Her father mentioned that Alysa has generally been greeted warmly by Chinese fans. He also said he appreciates the protection that was provided for Alysa in Beijing by the U.S. government. Before the Olympics, Alysa's father had been contacted by someone saying they were from the U.S. State Department and wanted the numbers on their passports. Her father was suspicious about the call, so he hung up and reported the incident. It's possible that one of Alysa's previous Instagram posts in support of Chinese dissidents was the trigger that set off this harassment, which involves other targeted Chinese Americans, including a former U.S, military member who is currently running for Congress from a district in Long Island, NY.

There appears to be a single post about this in Speakeasy, which has no engagement there, as I suppose there are membership restrictions associated with that part of the forum.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Obviously, another trigger for the harassment, mentioned in the linked article, is the fact that Alysa's father (Arthur Liu), as a former Chinese citizen in his 20s, had protested against the governing powers after the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre. As a result of possible persecution for his dissident activities, he later sought sanctuary in the U.S. as a political refugee. Here is another article, from NBC Sports, which offers more details:

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
I would guess there are other skaters who've been targeted by spies. Maybe not just Chinese Americans, either. I can think of more than one other country that might be doing this, if not for political harassment, for "trade secrets", e.g. what programs/tricks are being worked on. For some countries, winning is everything, no matter the impact on young people. ; )

Weird, smilies take you to a whole 'nother unrelated page.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
more than one other country that might be doing this, if not for political harassment, for "trade secrets", e.g. what programs/tricks are being worked on.
I don't doubt this might be true. But there is a way for skaters working on new programs to limit extraneous people in the rink when they are practicing (especially if they are top competitive skaters). In general, however, I don't think there are many 'trade secrets' going on. Figure skating has always been a sport where competitors see what other competitors are doing, and then try to emulate interesting and/or successful moves, even themes, music, and costumes. It happens all the time, without 'spying' especially being necessary.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I would guess there are other skaters who've been targeted by spies. Maybe not just Chinese Americans, either. I can think of more than one other country that might be doing this, if not for political harassment, for "trade secrets", e.g. what programs/tricks are being worked on. For some countries, winning is everything, no matter the impact on young people. ; )

Weird, smilies take you to a whole 'nother unrelated page.
Of course spying on competitors' programs is wrong but in Alyssa's case, the motivation seems much more serious/sinister.

The call re: passport numbers sounds really fishy, considering that the State Department can easily check passport numbers on their own database. Good on her dad for reporting the incident -- it's the same as a random call asking for a bank account or social security number. God only knows what could have happened if he had provided the information. :palmf: :eek:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Update to Mathman's link. This from NBC Sports, today, right before Alysa's skate. And the State Dept. From Terry and Andrea.
(I played back this segment 3 times and then researched the web to verify this. I also believe Terry said there would be intimidation for Worlds)

Arthur came to America after Tiananmen Square protest
In Oct, the FBI came to Arthur and said his family was being targeted for bullying and intimidation by the Chinese Govt and as it turns out, their secret police.
Arthur is worried about Alysa at Olys. The State Dept and US Oly security tells him that Alysa will never be left alone.
Arthur elects to not tell Alysa. And to let her go.
The decision is made to tell Alysa a week ago when 5 PRC secret police agents are arrested. You did good, Alysa.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Obviously, another trigger for the harassment, mentioned in the linked article, is the fact that Alysa's father (Arthur Liu), as a former Chinese citizen in his 20s, had protested against the governing powers after the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre. As a result of possible persecution for his dissident activities, he later sought sanctuary in the U.S. as a political refugee. Here is another article, from NBC Sports, which offers more details:

Thanks. This is pretty much what Terry and Andrea said, and of course Andrea interviewed both Alysa and her father. While I am not a T and J fan for commentary, I have to say that his and Andrea's interview with Vince really effected me. Vince said he couldnt even land a quad before arriving on site after what was done to him at Olys. (If anyone sees an article by Vince on his experiences at the Olys (for instance, did team USA doctors have access to him and were they allowed to take blood test for the new antibody tests, sequencing, etc, I would love to read it.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I would like to say I'm surprised. But I am not.

I am so sad for Alysa and her father. Sometimes I think the world is upside down.
For me, its like history just repeats it self...all us old timers remember ..".In the 1980s, Ingo Steuer was an informant for the Stasi, the East German secret police. His activities included circulating information on his countrymen. Because of this, he has been a controversial figure in Germany. Prior to the 2006 Winter Olympics, an investigation by the National Olympic Committee determined that his involvement was so severe as to exclude him from the national team". .....but he was not alone.....all East German athletes were encouraged to turn in any athlete that even talked about defecting. I remember Katrina Witt talking about it. From Wiki.

East German files​

Following the dissolution of East Germany, Ministerium für Staatssicherheit (Stasi) files were found to show that the secret police had worked hard to keep Witt from defecting by giving her cars, accommodations, and permitted travel.[16] Witt found 3,000 pages on her life from the age of eight.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Andrea's interview with Vince really effected me. Vince said he couldnt even land a quad before arriving on site after what was done to him at Olys. (If anyone sees an article by Vince on his experiences at the Olys (for instance, did team USA doctors have access to him and were they allowed to take blood test for the new antibody tests, sequencing, etc, I would love to read it.
I've been wondering the same thing...
The experience Vincent had in Beijing sounded like a nightmare. My guess is there is quite a bit more to this story.

Scott512

Record Breaker
For me, its like history just repeats it self...all us old timers remember ..".In the 1980s, Ingo Steuer was an informant for the Stasi, the East German secret police. His activities included circulating information on his countrymen. Because of this, he has been a controversial figure in Germany. Prior to the 2006 Winter Olympics, an investigation by the National Olympic Committee determined that his involvement was so severe as to exclude him from the national team". .....but he was not alone.....all East German athletes were encouraged to turn in any athlete that even talked about defecting. I remember Katrina Witt talking about it. From Wiki.

East German files​

Following the dissolution of East Germany, Ministerium für Staatssicherheit (Stasi) files were found to show that the secret police had worked hard to keep Witt from defecting by giving her cars, accommodations, and permitted travel.[16] Witt found 3,000 pages on her life from the age of

Reading this is just staggering. Those must have been very crazy times with countrymen turning in other countryme . I guess Big Brother really is out therein all shapes and forms.

It's kind of amazing that Katerina Wittcould focus as great as she did when she was dominating in the eighties with all the other stuff going on around her.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's kind of amazing that Katerina Wittcould focus as great as she did when she was dominating in the eighties with all the other stuff going on around her.
Well, what Witt was facing under East German communist rule is kind of what motivated her to go after that second gold medal with everything she had, including sexual wiles in her on-ice presentation. She knew that Debi Thomas had the better technical content and could beat her, so Witt focused on doing a Carmen program too in part to psych out Debi, and try to beat her on as many fronts as possible. Meanwhile, Debi was vulnerable emotionally (out of character for Debi), and talked about wanting to get to know Witt better. Not the time or place for trying to be friends though. Nothing panned out right for Debi. She was under a ton of pressure, much of it self-imposed.

Later, Witt spoke about having needed to prevail to win a second gold medal so that she could travel, do shows, and generally gain more freedom from the long arm of the East German Stasi government.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Well, what Witt was facing under East German communist rule is kind of what motivated her to go after that second gold medal with everything she had, including sexual wiles in her on-ice presentation. She knew that Debi Thomas had the better technical content and could beat her, so Witt focused on doing a Carmen program too in part to psych out Debi, and try to beat her on as many fronts as possible. Meanwhile, Debi was vulnerable emotionally (out of character for Debi), and talked about wanting to get to know Witt better. Not the time or place for trying to be friends though. Nothing panned out right for Debi. She was under a ton of pressure, much of it self-imposed.

Later, Witt spoke about having needed to prevail to win a second gold medal so that she could travel, do shows, and generally gain more freedom from the long arm of the East German Stasi government.
I only know the history of that Olympic games but I think from reading about it over the past 10 years I think most people expected now Dr. Debi to win that Olympic gold medal. It's hard to think that Katarina was under so much pressure and at that time I guess it was still a communist government in East Germany.

I guess history shows that you were right about what Katarina was doing to Debi mentally and it worked because although I don't remember it didn't Debi collapse under the pressure?

Were people outraged or excited at how sexy Katarina's Carmen was?

Weathergal

Medalist
I'm not sure whether this should be posted in Le Cafe or whether the Edge forum is okay, since the harassment occurred in connection with the Olympics. Alysa's father said that she was followed by a stranger while at the Olympics, and the man asked her to come to his apartment. Her father mentioned that Alysa has generally been greeted warmly by Chinese fans. He also said he appreciates the protection that was provided for Alysa in Beijing by the U.S. government. Before the Olympics, Alysa's father had been contacted by someone saying they were from the U.S. State Department and wanted the numbers on their passports. Her father was suspicious about the call, so he hung up and reported the incident. It's possible that one of Alysa's previous Instagram posts in support of Chinese dissidents was the trigger that set off this harassment, which involves other targeted Chinese Americans, including a former U.S, military member who is currently running for Congress from a district in Long Island, NY.

There appears to be a single post about this in Speakeasy, which has no engagement there, as I suppose there are membership restrictions associated with that part of the forum.

All posters can view the Speakeasy, but you have to have 100 posts to post in it.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think most people expected now Dr. Debi to win that Olympic gold medal.

I have no recollection of there being a significant number of people who thought she would beat Witt. Just because some people may be American, doesn't mean they automatically root for them as skaters.

Were people outraged or excited at how sexy Katarina's Carmen was?
She was certainly beautiful, but nothing in her program was outrageous or sexy. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I have no recollection of there being a significant number of people who thought she would beat Witt. Just because some people may be American, doesn't mean they automatically root for them as skaters.

She was certainly beautiful, but nothing in her program was outrageous or sexy. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

I guess people mean for that time it was sexy.

I'm American and I dont automatically root for Americans.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I guess people mean for that time it was sexy.

I'm American and I dont automatically root for Americans.

That time? It was the late 80's. George Michael was shaking his ass in the camera and Madonna was grabbing her crotch. Supermodels were everywhere, including the seriously sexy Cindy Crawford. Trust me, that program from Witt doesn't have any sex in it unless someone is just trying to smear her name, which is nothing new. It's called jealousy - from other women.

Scott512

Record Breaker
That time? It was the late 80's. George Michael was shaking his ass in the camera and Madonna was grabbing her crotch. Supermodels were everywhere, including the seriously sexy Cindy Crawford. Trust me, that program from Witt doesn't have any sex in it unless someone is just trying to smear her name, which is nothing new. It's called jealousy - from other women.
Katarina was class act at that time especially compared to the people you mentioned.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Reading this is just staggering. Those must have been very crazy times with countrymen turning in other countryme . I guess Big Brother really is out therein all shapes and forms.

Very true. Imagine a country where you are given anything you need where others are dirt poor....with the whole purpose of pushing you forward is for Political reasons.....and you KNOW you could be set up at any time.....a plant could tell you about their idea of defecting and if you didnt rat out the plant, you could be kicked out at any time......and if you DID defect and tell the truth.....who is to say the Stasi couldnt get to YOU?