Olympic Team Competition Predictions | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Olympic Team Competition Predictions

bobbob

Medalist
Pairs... now you crack me up... again... choosing the worst competition of a team in 3 years to make your calls. D/R have been experimenting with the 3Ath this season and that led to some much needed adjustment after GPF. They skated a wonderfully strong SP at Nationals and their LP is recovering now... I wouldn't count them out... Leaving out some very important data here.... Like how will the Chinese pairs do... etc... they may not be a factor for the LP but they certainly will be for the SP.

of course... but it's easier IMHO to trust D/R to skate well under pressure as they have done so winning to world titles, than a team who has not yet proven that they can deliver on every element in the big events....

Well, the only way the Chinese pair wouldn't factor in is if they don't make the final round. Is it likely D/R will skate both programs? Hypothetically, Russians can have T/M for the short and S/K for the long. Same goes for Patrick...things won't work out well if he doesn't skate both programs. We'll see how D/R do at the upcoming two competitions, same for Sui and Han.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well, the only way the Chinese pair wouldn't factor in is if they don't make the final round. Is it likely D/R will skate both programs? Hypothetically, Russians can have T/M for the short and S/K for the long. Same goes for Patrick...things won't work out well if he doesn't skate both programs. We'll see how D/R do at the upcoming two competitions, same for Sui and Han.

Chinese most likely will have a hard time making the finals... they are relatively weak in two disciplines, ladies and dance...

Pairs is traditionally the first event at the Ogames... I wouldn't be surprised if D/R were to split with another pair... Canada did it last time.

Patrick also split last time but perhaps this time around, he may prefer skating both programs. I wouldn't be surprised if Nic Nadeau were to be asked to skate... Kevin was very good in Sochi, we will have to see how he is in the olympic season.. he has been on the recovery track for a while...

In any case, as I said, we don't know for now... my previous intervention was just to put things into perspective as the previous poster was putting down 2 times world champions on the basis of a bad performance, their first in nearly 3 years. I mean before T/M win a reputation as a stable team, they will need to win WC and a couple more events... Winning GPF on a depleted field and winning Euros without the top two teams from 2016 doesn't equate on being the top team in the world.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
The battle is between USA, Canada and Russia for the medals imho. Russia might have the edge depending on consistency of their men/man. I think France, Italy and China or Japan will be the other final teams.

I think it will be USA, Canada and Russia on the podium until the end of our days lol
And I think France and Italy will edge out Japan and China this time around.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
There are only 10 and somehow I doubt Spain would rate. Pairs? Ice Dance? Ladies? Sweden? They have to actually have people qualified to the Olympics to have an entry in the team event.

No they don't. If a team qualifies, all disciplines make it for the team event. Matthew Parr didn't qualify as an individual for Sochi and still made it to the Olympics because team GBR made it.

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
Spain will most likely not make it. They did not have a pairs team at EC, and their lady's personal best for short program is 43 points, which would be very hard for her to qualify directly through worlds or top 6 finish (among non-qualified countries) at Nelhborn Trophy next year, but stranger things have happened before.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
No they don't. If a team qualifies, all disciplines make it for the team event. Matthew Parr didn't qualify as an individual for Sochi and still made it to the Olympics because team GBR made it.

Yup, there is some rule exception that for Team Olympics event Fed can send skater/s that did not have qualification to Olympics. But IIRC it's for one of disciplines only, they need to have skaters in 3 disciplines qualified. So Spain or Sweden is out of question. I think Germany should be okay (super Pairs, decent level in other disciplines), Czech Republic is big question mark... if Michal skates well at Worlds, they should be in, as there will be only problem with Lady here (Pairs and Dance should be able to qualify through Nebelhorn at worst), Australia is question mark too, but at least they have skaters in all disciplines.

Btw. I think as others here, that a fight for Gold will be between Russia, Canada and USA, but I also think the result will heavily depend on skaters that are not from these Feds aka France and Italian Ice Dance, Chinese and German Pairs, Japanese single skaters... they may make other teams place lower and thus, more points difference. Relative power of each disciplines of three big Feds is not the only thing that is important.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Czech Republic is big question mark... if Michal skates well at Worlds, they should be in, as there will be only problem with Lady here (Pairs and Dance should be able to qualify through Nebelhorn at worst).

As was discussed earlier on the thread, Czech Republic may not have a dance team that meets the citizenship requirement. Their best hope to qualify independently is Mansour & Ceska, who are a bubble team. (They finished 24th at Worlds last season, right at the cutoff). It would likely need to be M&C earning the spot. Kuzmich & Sinycin didn't make the free dance cut at Europeans and haven't been getting the necessary senior scores. Mansour & Ceska withdrew from Euros. Any word on why? And whether they will be back for Worlds?

Korea's top dance team is hovering right around the qualifying zone with its results this season. I doubt their pairs will do it so it will likely come down to Min & Gamelin's results for Korea.

Australia is in the opposite situation. It will likely come down to their young pairs team. The dance teams are unlikely so Alexandrovskaya & Windsor would need to qualify. Also hovering right around the qualifying zone.

Germany should be OK (provided Lorenz & Polizoakis don't split up again) since Germany's weaknesses are singles, and many more singles qualify for the Olympics than pairs & dance.

I'm really not certain there are ten, or twelve, teams that will qualify three disciplines independently to the Olympics. If not, do we then start comparing results another way?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Ah, you're right. I forgot about citizenship issues.... there are so many teams that may not go to Olympics due to lack of citizenship :drama: Makes me happy all the more Maks Spodyriev trains in Poland and got citizenship last year... Germany seems to be in the best situation, I reckon Bruno Massot have/will have German citizenship for Olympics? I have no idea why Mansour/Ceska were replaced by Kuzmich/Sinicyn. There was no info on Europeans site beside stating the change.

Last edited: