"One more time" for Japan's Mao Asada | Golden Skate

"One more time" for Japan's Mao Asada

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Exactly one year ago, Japan’s Mao Asada, who had been taking a rest from competition since she claimed her third world title in 2014, announced that she would come back to compete for the 2015-16 season.

More

When she announced her comeback last year, the 2010 Olympic silver medalist said she wasn’t thinking about next Olympics in Pyeongchang, Korea, however, Asada is feeling the competitive fire again.

“I started skating when I was 5, and I started to dream of competing at the Olympics since I was 10,” she noted. “I competed twice, but since I am continuing a competitive career, I strongly want to go to the Olympics one more time, and I think that is probably my ultimate goal.”

Here is wishing her lots of luck and health for the next two seasons!

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
It's great that Asada has this mindset and wants to do well.

It's terrible she's working with Lori Nichol again.

She could work with choreographers who can get new things out of her. A few I can think of are: Akiko Suzuki, Buttle, Shae Lynn Bourne, Rohene Ward, Jeremy Abbott. Programs by any of these choreographers could be really memorable, especially if they're crafted with Asada's strengths in mind.

sarama

Medalist
I'm glad she is trying to enjoy these last few seasons no matter the results. She has nothing to prove, and for this reason I hope she will end her career without regrets and on her own terms.

dreamsk8

On the Ice
I'm so glad she is sticking around!! :hap10:
She is such a beautiful skater, I hope she goes out there and skates just for herself and the love of the sport!!:agree2:
She really has nothing else to prove she is amazing skater:cheer: Just enjoy the ride:clapper:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
It's great that Asada has this mindset and wants to do well.

It's terrible she's working with Lori Nichol again.

She could work with choreographers who can get new things out of her. A few I can think of are: Akiko Suzuki, Buttle, Shae Lynn Bourne, Rohene Ward, Jeremy Abbott. Programs by any of these choreographers could be really memorable, especially if they're crafted with Asada's strengths in mind.

I agree that she could benefit from working with other choreographers. But maybe she just *likes* working with Lori Nichol. She probably doesn't plan to stay around for many more years. She really has nothing to prove and might as well enjoy the time she has left as a competitor.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'm so glad she is sticking around!! :hap10:
She is such a beautiful skater, I hope she goes out there and skates just for herself and the love of the sport!!:agree2:
She really has nothing else to prove she is amazing skater:cheer: Just enjoy the ride:clapper:

I am not sure this is a guarantee she is sticking around. Maybe she like Gold and so many other skaters are looking and hoping for some magical ending - culminating at the olympcs but sadly only one lady will have that moment. I truly wonder what goes on in a skater's mind. I mean there is what they say to the media but what REALLY is in their mind. Do they truly skate for themselves and or their fans? Is it really about self satisfaction regardless of medals or... I know it sounds cynical. We all know it they want the OGM. Which is why I am so happy that Adelina got 2014 OGM as much as I love Yuna's skating. Everyone deserves their moment under the sun. I honestly was disappointed in Mao this year. I know many love her and there was a great rivalry with Yuna but really in the end the last 4 or 5 years of their competing there was no rivalry - kind of like historic or vintage tennis - I am a sports buff - there was an American Princess - Chris Everet against the Czech player Martina Navritilova but in the last few years Martina dominated. Maybe 2015-16 was an off year for Mao.

Last edited:

brightphoton

Medalist
Did I miss something? I don't think she said she is necessarily stick around. That is not what the original message or current information out there suggests.

Yeah, I dunno, the article is kind of confusing. At first it says:
When she announced her comeback last year, the 2010 Olympic silver medalist said she wasn’t thinking about next Olympics in Pyeongchang, Korea.

But then it says:
“I strongly want to go to the Olympics one more time, and I think that is probably my ultimate goal,” said Asada.

Like which is it?

But then I realized that the article was saying that although in 2015, she wasn't thinking about the 2018 Olympics, now that it's 2016, she is thinking about it. This article is trying to get a "then and now" theme going for it, but I think it would benefit from explicitly telling us which years she said what (2015 v. 2016).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yeah, I dunno, the article is kind of confusing. At first it says:

But then it says:

Like which is it?

But then I realized that the article was saying that although in 2015, she wasn't thinking about the 2018 Olympics, now that it's 2016, she is thinking about it. This article is trying to get a "then and now" theme going for it, but I think it would benefit from explicitly telling us which years she said what (2015 v. 2016).
Okay, thanks. But regardless I hope she truly is happy; I should have made that clear. I sense Michelle Kwan is happy without OGM and same with Kurt Browning. Unlike Brian Orser who suffered in misery for years - it didn't help that after he lost to Boitano for years he lost all the pro events to him as well. Now he is a very successful and desireable coach. And Boitano well has or had his cooking show is more of a footnote - though I am sure he has parlayed all his money into a nice nest egg. Mao gold or not is still a hot commodity in Japan - I don't think Miyahara who has only one world medal so far has quite the fan base - some people have it and some don't. Fumie never got the same Japanese adoration.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I remember reading somewhere that Mao wanted to continue until 2018 olympics...

Spiral

Final Flight
I think every top skater dreams of winning the Olympics, but after this season Mao must realize that it will be more difficult to win in 2018 than it was in 2014 or 2010. So I think she does enjoy competing and presenting programs which are challenging both technically and artistically, if she decided to stay in the sport for two more years. As she puts it in the Icenetwork interview:

“I used to think as long as I am a competitor I should aim for the top finish. But since I was selected to the world team, I decided to change the way I think,” Asada offered. “I started to realize I should first focus on delivering a good performance to the audience. Result is important, of course, but I should first try to skate a performance that I am satisfied with, and that was the reason why I decided to return.”

I think all the skaters who make it to this level are likely highly competitive, but it’s great that Mao has had the wisdom to change her mindset when her post-return results weren’t what she’d hoped for. I entirely agree with Skater Boy that winning the Olympics is by no means a more significant achievement that winning Worlds or GPF or just having had a long skating career with many memorable programs and outstanding performances. And I’m sure the skaters today also realize that in the latter case, their lives after sport would be no different than if they had won the Olympics, nor would the fans remember them any less. It doesn’t mean they’d pass up the chance to win the Olympics, but I think at least the vast majority of them realize that if it doesn’t happen it doesn’t mean they didn’t have a great skating career. It’s like Hollywood actors and Oscars, I guess.

As Mao said:

“I competed twice, but since I am continuing a competitive career, I strongly want to go to the Olympics one more time, and I think that is probably my ultimate goal.”

So since she’s decided to continue, she wants to go to the Olympics once more, but she still qualifies it as her ultimate goal with a “probably.” I think she naturally thinks like an athlete, but realizes that OGM is not all there is to a skating life.

In the end she said:

“Only a couple of years are left for me to compete as a figure skater,” Asada continued. “I want to end my career with a smile. When I look back, I want to be able to say that I’ve done my best, it was the right decision to come back, and my skating life was fabulous.”

It seems to me that she doesn’t want to miss the opportunity to compete at the highest level for a couple more years and have another go at the Olympics while she can, but would be happy if she feels she’s done her best – even if that doesn’t include winning OGM, as long as she’s satisfied with her performances.

In general, I must admit I’m quite torn about skaters who’ve already achieved much returning to the sport. On one hand I also wish all brilliant skaters could have their moment in the sun. On the other hand, if it’s somebody whose skating I highly enjoyed, I can’t help feeling lucky that I’ll have a chance to see more fantastic performances from them. (I feel that show performances in professionals are generally not anywhere close to the same level as the same skaters’ competitive programs used to be not only technically, which is to be expected, but also choreographically and artistically, although there are exceptions, of course.)

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
I think every top skater dreams of winning the Olympics, but after this season Mao must realize that it will be more difficult to win in 2018 than it was in 2014 or 2010.

I disagree. I think it would be easier for Mao to win Ladies Gold in 2018 than 2014. If you know what I mean.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I disagree. I think it would be easier for Mao to win Ladies Gold in 2018 than 2014. If you know what I mean.

Can you elaborate, da96103?

(And oh dear, showing my age, but the first thing that popped in to my head when I saw the title of this thread was "Hit me baby one more time" :palmf:)

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
It seems to me that she doesn’t want to miss the opportunity to compete at the highest level for a couple more years and have another go at the Olympics while she can, but would be happy if she feels she’s done her best – even if that doesn’t include winning OGM, as long as she’s satisfied with her performances

I agree. Earlier, Mao said she came back because skating is essential to her. For her, and a lot of other skaters, it is everything to them. So if she's still capable of continuing doing something she loves for a little longer, why not? While every skater dreams of the OGM, I don't think skaters return just for it. There are exceptions when the skaters made it very obvious. ( Shen and Zhao at last Olympics). However, for skaters like Carolina and Mao, I feel they are driven to continue beyond the medals. I don't think it's material reasons for Mao, since she's already a big celebrity in Japan and would arguably benefit more from retiring after having such a great worlds at home in 2014. But from her recent interviews, I get the feeling that she's happy with her decision to continue competing, though she may have setbacks. At the same time, she's also realistic, very aware that she's near the end of her career.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist

(And oh dear, showing my age, but the first thing that popped in to my head when I saw the title of this thread was "Hit me baby one more time" :palmf:)

:laugh2:

Also showing my age, but when I saw the title, the thought crossing my mind for a brief moment was Mao skating to "One More Time" by Daft Punk for her new SP. Imagine that. :dance:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
:laugh2:

Also showing my age, but when I saw the title, the thought crossing my mind for a brief moment was Mao skating to "One More Time" by Daft Punk for her new SP. Imagine that. :dance:

Maybe "One More a Time" will surpass "Who Wants to Live Forever" as the infamous music choice for veteran skaters? :laugh2:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
OMG, now I'm thinking about how to choreograph a SP to "One More Time". That would be so fun.

khughes

On the Ice

I assume what da96103 means is that Mao isn't Russian.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
khughes got it. Mao Asadakova would have won gold in 2014.

I'm sure you are also implying Asadakova would have delivered a quality SP too ;)

I was pulling for Yunia Kimnitskaia in Sochi TBH :)

Add me to the Daft Punk band wagon. I might even have to try to do my own remix video of it using some of her older programs.

Last edited: