Original Dance | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Original Dance

icedancedevotee

Rinkside
I don't post very often to this board, though I follow along quite frequently. I can not believe the scores for Domshab. They were slow, had numerous bobbles and an atrocious pairs spin. On top of that they weren't even skating on topic.

I love figure skating and give credit where credit is due regardless of nationality, but those marks were undeserved and, quite frankly, a farce.

Well said, and I completely agree. It breaks my heart for the skaters who work their tails off, FOLLOW THE RULES (that is, pick music that fits the stated OD theme), keep improving, and never seem to move up. Really, just sad, sad, and more sad.

i love to skate

Medalist
Agree on this one! I would have Meryl and Charlie in third place...

Charlie messed up on his twizzle and they had one other stumble. I found V/M performed their program more and as they said on the CBC commentary that D/W seemed somewhat frantic. V/M also finished 6th in the OD so I would hardly called them "overmarked" :rolleye:

oxade21

Match Penalty
V/M should have been out of top 10 in OD.
If judged fair, Pechalat should have won the OD. But we do not live in perfect world. They shall wait their turn.

lmarie086

Medalist
Ugh I can't believe I missed this! Hope it all finds its way onto youtube real soon.
Anyone know the overall standing? Thanks!

oxade21

Match Penalty
T

Dom/Shabs. I can "get over" the debate about thematic appropriateness, but the skating was just nowhere near the marks. I struggle to figure out how they earned top technical marks when two of the five key elements were so obviously subpar.

They have 3rd TES for OD. Behind B/A and P/B. That's where I would have them as well. I would put P/B at the top though.

MissCleo

On the Ice
1 Oksana DOMNINA / Maxim SHABALIN RUS
105.45 1 2
2 Tanith BELBIN / Benjamin AGOSTO USA
104.81 2 1
3 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN
100.42 3 6
4 Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE USA
100.33 4 3
5 Jana KHOKHLOVA / Sergei NOVITSKI RUS
99.02 5 5
6 Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT FRA
98.37 6 4
7 Sinead KERR / John KERR GBR
95.43 8 7
8 Federica FAIELLA / Massimo SCALI ITA
92.22 7 10
9 Pernelle CARRON / Matthieu JOST FRA
92.07 9 8
10 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA
89.63 11 9
11 Vanessa CRONE / Paul POIRIER CAN
88.08 10 12
12 Emily SAMUELSON / Evan BATES USA
87.48 13 11
13 Alexandra ZARETSKI / Roman ZARETSKI ISR
87.04 12 13
14 Kristin FRASER / Igor LUKANIN AZE
78.41 14 18
15 Katherine COPELY / Deividas STAGNIUNAS LTU
78.25 16 14
16 Anna ZADOROZHNIUK / Sergei VERBILLO UKR
77.28 15 19
17 Cathy REED / Chris REED JPN
76.82 18 15
18 Carolina HERMANN / Daniel HERMANN GER
75.54 20 16
19 Zoe BLANC / Pierre-Loup BOUQUET FRA
75.40 19 17
20 Lucie MYSLIVECKOVA / Matej NOVAK CZE
74.64 17 20
21 Caitlin MALLORY / Kristian RAND EST
70.80 23 21
22 Phillipa TOWLER-GREEN / Phillip POOLE GBR
70.08 21 22
23 Xintong HUANG / Xun ZHENG CHN
69.59 22 23
24 Joanna BUDNER / Jan MOSCICKI POL
62.68 24 25
25 Danielle OBRIEN / Gregory MERRIMAN AUS
59.51 27 24
26 Nikki GEORGIADIS / Graham HOCKLEY GRE
58.61 26 26
27 Leonie KRAIL / Oscar PETER SUI
56.78 25 27
28 Emese LASZLO / Mate FEJES HUN
53.39 29 28
29 Ina DEMIREVA / Juri KURAKIN BUL
52.89 28 30
30 Ksenia SHMIRINA / Yahor MAISTROV BLR
51.89 30 29

oleada

Record Breaker
The most gifted team was probably D/W. 3rd with a big mistake?

IIRC; D/S were a bit shaky, but didn't have any obviously large mistakes like V/M and D/W. V/M were very, very poor tonight. They really should not have broken 60 points. Their lack of training and competing is really showing.

Pechalat and Bourzat should've scored much higher. They were better than D/W.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Tanith and Ben for winning the OD. :clap: Since B/A coachiing change I have been confident that they will be the World Champions. I have not changed my mind.

DaveT

On the Ice
The most gifted team was probably D/W. 3rd with a big mistake?

IIRC; D/S were a bit shaky, but didn't have any obviously large mistakes like V/M and D/W. V/M were very, very poor tonight. They really should not have broken 60 points. Their lack of training and competing is really showing.

Pechalat and Bourzat should've scored much higher. They were better than D/W.

No obviously large mistakes? Were you watching?

icedancebonjour

Spectator
B/A rightfully won the OD.
D/S were clearly over-marked.
Even my friend who knows nothing about ice dancing noticed how far their spin traveled and the obvious tentativeness in Maxim's footwork.

But what can you do, it's ice dance.

Last edited:

Big Deal

Final Flight
Most of the couples had major mistakes or lack of the usual enthusiasm.
Belbin/Agosto and the Kerrs was the best on the night.
Dom/Shab had no major mistakes but a lots of small unison problems and rather messy performance. Because of the other's mistakes they still can be on the top but COMMON, 8,3's for this Interpretation?????? Which was not even fitted to the theme , and its quality is soooooo far from the wished one to get this high scores?
Judges are working hard for their Olympic Gold right now. Sad.
It is lovely to watch , but is it a sport really????
Ice Dance -judging would be much more fair without beeing an Olympic Sport.
Too large temptation for the different Federations.

beep_beep

Medalist
Some thoughts

D/S: I'm a rare GS breed. I like D/S and prefer them over most of the teams (they're my #2). But I'm happy they didn't win the OD. First, it's a effing waltz (their expression is lovely, but still...). Second, the obvious mistakes. Overscored, although not the only ones tonight.

B/A: Glad they won the OD. Glad she controlled that step at the end of their footwork.

V/M: Oh, come on! This is the second year they do themselves on the OD by screwing up on the twizzles! And Scott of the two... They looked really temptative tonight. Another overscore.

D/W: Of all people, Charlie made a mistake on the twizzles...problems on the lift too. I love their feel to the music, this is my favorite OD this season and I wished they had done better...

K/N: Ok, where are the Jana and Sergei from Europeans and what was done of them? They seemed to have such momentum coming to worlds, but have been lackluster so far in LA...they're not my favorites, but still, they can do better than that.

P/B: Their music is sooo annoying... they deserved a better score.

K/K: Great !!! So what if they were not the most precise and correct tonight, who cares !!! They rocked, their performance had a great feel and I could watch it all the time. (can you tell they're my #1?)

F/S: tooooo baaad !!! So unfortunate... Bab lives...]

My hopes for the FD ?
I want everyone to skate a blinder.
B/A and D/S to skate to the full potential of their programs.
V/M to skate with more confidence
Bring back K/N from Europeans
D/W to go as well as they have been so far.
F/S to pull back
Kerrs to bring down the house

And I must say: I really miss DelSchoes :cry:

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Okay once again, Israeli figure skating takes a hit,

The Zaretskis were ROBBED AGAIN !!!!!

And so were the Kerrs !!!!

This is why the sport is losing popularity at a rapid pace, why bother watching when the results are fixed and the __________ get overscored merely based on politk.

beep_beep

Medalist
Okay once again, Israeli figure skating takes a hit,

The Zaretskis were ROBBED AGAIN !!!!!

And so were the Kerrs !!!!

This is why the sport is losing popularity at a rapid pace, why bother watching when the results are fixed and the __________ get overscored merely based on politk.

Sorry cloud, but the Zaretskis did noy have a good outing today. Mistakes on circular step sequence, the dance spin, the twizzles (well, almost everybody had problems on that today).
And their score was really close to S/B, who had a great outing. Now it's choosing between S/B being underscored and Z/Z being overscored.

Alexandra could teach Ms. Khokhlova a thing or two on how to wear a green dress though...