Original Dance | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Original Dance

Buttercup

Record Breaker
OK, guys, I didn't see the last two groups so can't comment on who was overscored, who was underscored, and who had a cute dress. But can someone please explain to me how F/S with two falls rate higher than Evan and Emily's OD, which was fun, energetic, and wall-skated?

oxade21

Match Penalty
OK, guys, I didn't see the last two groups so can't comment on who was overscored, who was underscored, and who had a cute dress. But can someone please explain to me how F/S with two falls rate higher than Evan and Emily's OD, which was fun, energetic, and wall-skated?

S/B are too young. Simple. I thought that was second best dance after P/B. But it is not about best skate at their level. Just get noticed.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
S/B are too young. Simple. I thought that was second best dance after P/B. But it is not about best skate at their level. Just get noticed.
Well, they got very good marks for it at Skate America (IIRC they had higher TES than B/A and Del/Schoe) and at 4CC, so I thought maybe the judges would go with it. I liked it much better than C/L's, who also finished ahead of them.

Olivier and Isabelle, I miss you.

beep_beep

Medalist
Why think of the "important" stuff ? Let's have some fun. Beacuse, once again, I can't resist it.

Shallow notes: Original Dance :p

Khokhlova's dress: you know, when you look directly into some light source (a lamp or the Sun) and you get that image etched in your retina for a while? Yeah, just that...
Agosto's suit looked like it's straight out of a Duran Duran video.
I imagine Tanith selling cookies door-to-door in that costume. (I bet she would sell a lot...)
Shabalin: get someone else to help you with your costumes, really.
Pechalat looked like she was going to pull a Rubleva (at least the girls stayed in here...)
Meryl's new dress :love:
Bad costume of the day: I'm torn between Kristin Fraser (the one with the glasses) and Zoe Blanc (aged pink lingerie looking dress with black gloves)
Verbillo's hair!! :eek: What is growing in there?

And hot man of the day trophee (*drumroll*)
1 Bourzat
2 Jost (BTW congrats on the baby for him!)
3 Hermann / Kerr
Honorable mention: White (he's cute, but too boyish for my taste)

Can't wait for the free dance. It's going to be a vicious fight for podium. :rock: Can't wait !

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Bad costume of the day: I'm torn between Kristin Fraser (the one with the glasses) and Zoe Blanc (aged pink lingerie looking dress with black gloves)
Verbillo's hair!! :eek: What is growing in there?
Fraser, definitely. She looked awful. And this continues right through from the CD, in which F/L also had the worst costumes.

And hot man of the day trophee (*drumroll*)
1 Bourzat
If they make the gala, he might show up shirtless like he did at Euros!

Mafke

Medalist
can someone please explain to me how F/S with two falls rate higher than Evan and Emily's OD, which was fun, energetic, and wall-skated?

I suppose there were mandatory deductions for skating on the wall and not on the ice.....

gru

Rinkside
Khokhlova's dress: you know, when you look directly into some light source (a lamp or the Sun) and you get that image etched in your retina for a while? Yeah, just that...
The French Eurosport comentator about Khoklh's dress;

"when you turn off the TV her dress is still on the screen"

Last edited:

Kinga

Medalist
It was a strange evening.
D/S were shaky, scored too high. But I still dont know what to make of this dance. I watch it once, I hate it. I watch it again, I like it. And so on.
Nevertheless, no one really took a chance to win over them convicingly.
I like D/W OD, but they made mistake. V/M - not only mistakes, but program as the whole was very chaotic. B/A - cleanest, but.. For me it was just OK.

I loved other teams - first of all Kerrs. But of course, they will NEVER score what they deserve..
S/B, C/P were also great.

rosee

On the Ice
I'm happy Delshoes aren't here. They would have been humiliated by the judges again.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I looove D/S OD! :love: Yes they wasn't perfect, but who was? And there's nothing wrong with their choice of music. The Original Dance of the 2008/09 season is “Rhythms of the 20s, 30s and 40s”. They had picked a Jazz Waltz from 1934 by Dmitri Shostakovitch, so what's the problem? Is that because they was different? But I think it's good! I hope they will win, I started to watch ice dancing because of them! And yes, I'm russian :)

Kinga

Medalist
I looove D/S OD! :love: Yes they wasn't perfect, but who was? And there's nothing wrong with their choice of music. The Original Dance of the 2008/09 season is “Rhythms of the 20s, 30s and 40s”. They had picked a Jazz Waltz from 1934 by Dmitri Shostakovitch, so what's the problem? Is that because they was different? But I think it's good! I hope they will win, I started to watch ice dancing because of them! And yes, I'm russian :)

Actually I LOVED the choice of the music. I was tired of all those swings :)
I think it is nice that they wanted to perform a dance that was so popular in Russia in 30-40s.
But I do think that they scored a bit too high.

skatingbc

Final Flight

I thought she looked like Tinkerbell on acid.
I imagine Tanith selling cookies door-to-door in that costume. (I bet she would sell a lot...)

Especially with the see-through skirt!

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
I thought D/S were pretty good (dance spin aside). Maybe the score is a little high but 2nd in the OD is right.

Overall however, not a great OD. Too many of the teams had small errors here and there. I hope everyone skates great in the FD. I do like the FDs of most of the teams more than I like their ODs.

Mafke

Medalist

I had three problems with their choice:

1. Most sane people interpret 'rhythms of the "20s, 30s and 40s" as referring to rhythms that originated in those decades not rhythms that were still hanging around from the previous century.

2. There is no such thing a "Jazz Waltz", it's a name but the rhythm is exactly the same as any other waltz (and it's not even real jazz in any commonly accepted meaning of the word).

3. Lack of versatility. One idea of the OD is to force skaters out of their comfort zones not to manipulate the decreed rhythm to stay well within their comfort zone. Yes, D/S are probably the best in the world at waltzes, nobody denies that. But I would have respected them more if they followed the spirit of the rules and tried to branch out more. (and again yet another Caveman meets Barbie theme, yawn).

dancemaster

On the Ice
I had three problems with their choice:

1. Most sane people interpret 'rhythms of the "20s, 30s and 40s" as referring to rhythms that originated in those decades not rhythms that were still hanging around from the previous century.

2. There is no such thing a "Jazz Waltz", it's a name but the rhythm is exactly the same as any other waltz (and it's not even real jazz in any commonly accepted meaning of the word).

3. Lack of versatility. One idea of the OD is to force skaters out of their comfort zones not to manipulate the decreed rhythm to stay well within their comfort zone. Yes, D/S are probably the best in the world at waltzes, nobody denies that. But I would have respected them more if they followed the spirit of the rules and tried to branch out more. (and again yet another Caveman meets Barbie theme, yawn).

D/S did a clever thing
they got a handle on the rules and pick what most suited them.and were quite certain no one would have a similar choice
if you read the communicates ...waltz was never excluded( like tango was)
and in rules there are no spirit its black or white

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I think it is nice that they wanted to perform a dance that was so popular in Russia in 30-40s.

Exactly. I'm russian, I know what I'm talking about. All of that swings wasn't popular here in Russia in 30-40, but this waltz was. My grandmother's crying when she hear it, Today when I showed her D/S performance she told me that it reminds her how she met my grandfather when she was at the same age that I am now. So she loves that OD too. And I was glad to see something different from Oksana and Maxim. Wish them luck and hope they'll become new world champions

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
All of that swings wasn't popular here in Russia in 30-40, but this waltz was.

So? Russia didn't create any memorable rhythms in the 30's-40's. Big deal.

I think of D/S's program like this:

Imagine the OD rhythm is "the Russian Soul" and a French couple decides to do a Tango because they don't know enough about Russian traditions and don't like the available rhythms (and tangos have been popular in Russia!).

( I think "the Russian Soul" would be a terrific them for the OD, maybe the ISU should go more impressionistic with themes:

Exotica!

The war between the sexes,

Saturday night fever!

Last edited:

oxade21

Match Penalty
I am watching OD on Oxygen now and what a nice change to NOT hear Scott and Sandra. Tracy Wilson shows how it's done being biased while staying classy and to the point without other skater bashing.

Final Flight
great original dance
im dying for F/S
i love D/S's lift

at practice tanith and ben said hi to me (recognized me from previous chats)