Original skating music that's not overused | Golden Skate

Original skating music that's not overused

Irishflip

On the Ice
Im looking to pick original music for my short and long next year is there any good music for skating that hasn't been performed by really popular skaters (almost impossible i know) or isnt really over-used I don't like the idea of just picking really boring unoriginal music and boring people watching me to death :biggrin:. Im a single skater
If it has been performed by a famous skater but isnt used a lot tell me anyway please?I'm so lost looking for it myself :confused: Thanks:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
What kind of music do you like, or think would suit your skating style?

Irishflip

On the Ice
Ooops sorry im a single skater and my coach told me I need one fast piece and one slow piece so really either is fine. Also I prefer something classical and maybe dramatic?

If I was to be picky i would say one being fun and energetic thats easy to perform to example:blue danube or waltz masquerade and the other being slower and more dark or dramatic example:Bells of Moscow or Nocturne.

Last edited:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I keep wishing someone would use music from any of the old operettas..."The New Moon", "The Desert Song", "The Red Mill," "The Student Prince", etc. I believe they all have overtures. Offenbach's "Tales of Hoffman" has wonderful music, fast & slow. However, "Barcarolle" has been used before. I seem to recall Kristi Yamaguchi using it but the rest would be great.

Sara D

Spectator
what about selections from a Mendelssohn's Midsummer's Night's Dream (I have always wanted someone to skate to it)

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Check out the soundtrack for the film, "The Artist."

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Not entierly classical, but Doctor Who has some great music, so of which sounds classical. Although most of that stuff has vocals so might not work. Thomas Newman also has some great music, Wall-e and Angels in America are both great.

PatC

Rinkside
Great short program music - the theme from Julia and Julie by Alexander Despatie and Adela's Theme from Passage to India. Neither one have to have a much editing.

If you're interested and want to listen to Adela's theme and can't find it, pm me.

what about selections from a Mendelssohn's Midsummer's Night's Dream (I have always wanted someone to skate to it)

His Octet also has lovely music in it, both slow and fast sections. I'm a big fan of using chamber music, because a lot of it is very accessible to listeners, and it's often very beautiful, but it's not well known or used to death in skating. Michelle Kwan's 2001 program "Song of the Black Swan" used mostly music from a Dvorak trio.

Rachael Flatt used a piece from a Brahms chamber work (I think it's his first piano trio) when she was fourteen, for her short program in 2007. Her skating was a bit slow even then, but you can hear the lyrical and dramatic possibilities in the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hvYIYkNjfM

Here's a really obscure sound track by Georges Delerue, from a movie called Interlude. Though this suite begins with a vocal section, there are parts that are just orchestral, if you listen further. You might also find other cuts that are purely instrumental. There's a lot of slow music and then a rather fast waltz section. Delerue composed a lot of really romantic music for films, so you might be able to find other sound tracks by him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddp_SXeRKms

Last edited: