Pairs' FS - 2022 Olympics: Thoughts? | Golden Skate

Pairs' FS - 2022 Olympics: Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

What an exciting event for the Pairs!

All top three teams were amazing!

Tarasova and Morozov had the highest PCS scores and Sui and Cong were armed with a quad twist and a slightly higher technical score. Good on both of them!

Very proud of Mishina and Galliamov after their debut in this event. They are going to be formidable in the future, for sure.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Miura and Kihara grow. It's amazing they've only been together slightly more than two years.

Good job for Knierim and Frazier!

What are your thoughts on the Pairs' event? Which were your favorite programs?

Last edited:

luvsasha

Final Flight
What an exciting event for the Pairs!

All top three teams were amazing!

Tarasova and Morozov had the highest PCS scores and Sui and Cong were armed with a quad twist and a slightly higher technical score. Good on both of them!

Very proud of Mishina and Galliamov after their debut in this event. They are going to be formidable in the future, for sure.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Miura and Kihara grow. It's amazing they've only been together slightly more than two years.

Good job for Knierim and Frazier!

What are your thoughts on the Pairs' event? Which were your favorite programs?
Great event, great skating, great result. So much emotion from many of the teams and I found myself tearing up as well.

I have nothing to complain about!

So happy for all the teams, and also for the Americans to have two pairs in the top 8.

I'm SO glad the Olympics ended on this note.

noskates

Record Breaker
What a great competition. So happy for Knierem and Frazier. But Sui and Cong were awesome. That quad twist - wow! And I agree. It was nice to just sit back and enjoy the skating and not think about anything else. A wonderful way to end the Olympic figure skating.

klena

On the Ice
T/M are true Olympic Champions! not Chinese
This is ridiculous, with such a mistake

LRK

Record Breaker
Congratulations to all the medalists! Sui/Han got the gold they didn't win four years ago - Tarasova/Morozov got the medal they didn't win four years ago. I'm very happy for them. Mishina/Galliamov and Boikova/Kozlovskii are still quite young, and, God willing, have years to skate still. So I found the results quite satisfying.

I thought that it was a very enjoyable event - all top 9 teams skated quite well.

As for my favourite programs - well, Aleksandra & Dima are my favourites, and I'm sure I'll enjoy their program even more on a rewatch, minus the knot of anxiety in my stomach that seeing them skate always gives me.;) Otherwise, apart from them, I believe my favourite program might have been Cain-Gribble/LeDuc. But again, I found watching all the top 9 teams very satisfying in various ways & for different reasons.

And on a general note, I do believe the future of pairs figure skating is bright.:)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was SO glad the Chinese won, and Cruella Tutberidze's team had to step down one. For a while there, it seemed the online results page was not showing Sui/Han's score, stubbornly keeping T/M on top of the leaderboard.

Sorry, but to me, T/M skate like robots much of the time, while Sui / Han are very much into their performance. Of the Russian teams, I much prefer Mishina/Galliamov.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to the medal winners. Everyone skated well, but I thought all top 8 programs were a bit boring, sorry. :confused:
The Canadians' and Japanese music selections: so many weepy boring ballads, like you get in Junior Ladies skating.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
So happy for the whole podium! Going in, I hoped it would be these 3 teams, and I didn't mind which order, so I was going to be happy anyway, but seeing 3 great skates back to back to back was amazing. To see both S/H and T/M so unhappy 4 years ago to now celebrating their well-deserved medals is wonderful.

Outside of the top-3, I loved seeing the great performances and reactions of M/K, K/F and B/Z, who were all so clearly thrilled to be here. P/J, CG/L and G/A also had skates which I really enjoyed, even with the small errors. S/B are clearly a team to watch for the future, 9th is a great finish for such a young team in their first Olympics! It was also lovely to see so many supportive partnerships, with the skaters being there for each other even when disappointed, a special shout-out to H/S in this category. Congratulations also to MT/M for squeaking into the top-10 by 0.01 of a point.

In the less happy, DM/G still looked to be struggling. I was so hoping they'd put it all together, but alas :( I hope they can have a better time at Worlds (if they plan to go), even if it means scaling back the jump difficulty a bit so they land them.

I'm not sure what J/R were aiming for when they partnered up, but I'm guessing 12th at the Olympics probably wasn't it? I'm wondering what their plans are going forward and whether they will continue competitively? To me, they still don't really look like a pair, and, while I appreciate they haven't been together that long, neither have B/Z or S/B and to my eye, they look more cohesive and have more chemistry. Apologies to those who are fans of J/R, this is only my opinion! :slink:

Overall, I thought the top half of the event skated really well, with some standout performances.
What a fantastic way to conclude the competitive portion of the skating events; now, onwards to having fun at the gala! :dance3:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I'm a huge M/G fan so I was hoping they'd win. But I'm pleased to see S/H with their well-deserved gold medal, and I'm thrilled for T/M that they got the medal they didn't get four years ago, especially after so many counted them out. I like T/M and S/H and I feel like both gold and silver are good reflections of what they've contributed to the sport. So I'm satisfied.

Still hoping for gold for M/G next time though. ;)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
This was a wonderful event!!! It was really enjoyable to watch the performances without feeling anxious or nervous as I had no favourites...

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Great podium and a feel good event to end the Olympics on! Lovely to see the medallists all congratulating each other backstage.
Superb quad twist and performance that helped Sui/Han win the Gold.
Two clean skates that we have wished for Tarasova/Morozov for ages!
Proud of Mishina/Galliamov medalling at their first Olympic games 🥳

Just a note that Sui/Han have now completed their Super Slam! First pairs team to complete this including junior worlds and JGPF :clap:

Nathan13

Medalist
Fantastic competition and some lovely performances. For what it's worth I hold the unpopular opinion that IJS has really improved the pairs discipline. Both 2022 and 2018 Olympics had an incredibly high standard for the top 3, clean (or mostly clean) performances by the top 6-7+, and (more 2018 than 2022) unique and balanced programs that check all the technical boxes.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Huuuuge "shout-outs" to all 16 pair teams for saving the Olympic Figure skating event on behalf of all skaters and its fans in the world!!!:bow::bow::bow: :rock::rock::rock:Made me teared up, too, upon one performance after another.

I am happy for Sui/Han, but I am sad for Tarasova/Morozov. Two teams skated both SP and FS just amazingly. Could have gone either way. YOU TWO are The Olympic champions in my book. :clap:
Who can NOT love Miura/Kihara?! So proud of them. :love:
On the other hand, what a score for Boikova/ Kozlovskii and Peng/Jin... :shrug: Their #2 status of Team Zhao and Team Tamara affected the score, I'd guess? :slink: