PAIRS SHORT - Wheee, here we go! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

PAIRS SHORT - Wheee, here we go!

soogar

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
Also, since Max has been hitting the weight room, his more "built" body really complements Tatiana's combination of lightness and athleticism. Before they both looked rather too light. Now his new size and power puts them in perfect balance for pairs, IMO. Skating together, they look as if it would be impossible for them to make a mistake. (Not trying to jinx them, lol.) I love their SP choreography, and they skated like newly polished silver. I too say it's their's to lose.

Rgirl

Interesting metaphor.. maybe foreshadowing a future result?

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
soogar said:
My thoughts on pairs, and since I saw only NBC's coverage (which was pretty sucky) I didn't see all of them. Frist off all, I wish the commentators would do their jobs (esp Bezic) and give me the darn levels for the elements the pairs are doing. Because to my untrained pairs eye, I don't get why I&B didn't do better when not only did they nail the throw 3 axel, but looked relatively clean on all of their elements and had great skating skills to boot. Other than S&Z, the Chinese pairs did nothing for me and the Zhangs were very rough. One thing that was crystal clear was how superior both Russian pairs were in skating skills compared to everyone else in the pack (save for I&B who seemed somewhat slower but had wonderful edging). After watching the chicken scratches of the Zhangs and then watching the PetTikhs' great crossovers and overall control and security (other than the forward landing on the 3t), why are the Zs in second place?

For all the haters of T&M, whatever people think of the rules being favored for this couple, this couple was the superior pair to everyone else. No errors, great crossovers and ice coverage and precision and control. Other than Tatiana's android face, they proved why the Russians have been superior in pairs competitions throughout the years. Even biased Bezic and Dick Button couldn't rip them a new one even though they were dying to do it. Dick couldn't even say anything about T's fanny being up in the spiral entrance and you know he was setting that up in his commentary on the other pairs.

And the polish couple was wonderful. Like Dick said, really nice neighbors with no "pitbull in the backyard."

I do agree that P/T didn't get the scores they deserved, but I don't agree about the Zhangs. The reason they're in second is they're technique, they do have rather love component score..But I don't understand how TT/MM can get level four at the lifts, can anyone explain? Just comapre with the chinese couples and the other russians. It's logical if T/M were to "hold back" in the lifts since the accident, but then they shouldn't get so much points for them..

Mafke

Medalist
soogar said:
For all the haters of T&M, whatever people think of the rules being favored for this couple, this couple was the superior pair to everyone else.

I for one don't hate them. Hate would be a welcome, refreshing change. I'm usually just bored by them. Technically, they're well above everybody else, but they don't create any visible connection to each other or the audience. I prefer P/T who are far superior in the intangible 'pairs' element and usually more interesting to watch even if they're a notch below technically. S/Z still have the charisma that T/M lack but they're on the backside of their competitive career. The other Chinese teams and O/S just don't do it for me (yet). I like S/Z a lot, but they're also past their peak. I'm most sad at not seeing the Czech pair Berenkova/Dlabola (who I usually enjoyed a lot more than those who finished ahead of them).

The only thing I really, really enjoyed last night was that throw 3 ax, beautiful and clean as a whistle (but their overall pairs skills aren't really at podium level I'm afraid and on tv at least they seem on the slow side).

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
FauveNik said:
Allo all,
Can anyone help me with a mental freeze,, what was the music that Petrova/Tikhonov short progam too???? Im getting old:(
Merci Fauve

Nice location!!!

They skated to Sarabande by Handel. You can look up this info at http://www.isufs.org/bios/index.htm.

I am so thrilled for John and Rena. What a beauty! While their Nationals was a bit too rough, this one was "textbook perfect".

I am a bit bummed how ZandZ are in the 2nd. Their unison is really poor and what is the deduction for putting your hand down on the sbs jump? I think even with that S&Z should've been ahead of Z&Z. I was more impressed with Pang and Tong too than with Z&Z. Her pants costume compliments her really tiny body.

I am glad that Maria and Alexi are in the hunt. They should've been ahead of Z&Z though.

Go Rena and John!!!!

PS - Bravo to NBC for showing as much as they did!

Last edited:
Rgirl said:
Also, since Max has been hitting the weight room, his more "built" body really complements Tatiana's combination of lightness and athleticism. Before they both looked rather too light. Now his new size and power puts them in perfect balance for pairs, IMO. Skating together, they look as if it would be impossible for them to make a mistake. (Not trying to jinx them, lol.) I love their SP choreography, and they skated like newly polished silver. I too say it's their's to lose. Rgirl
Soogar said:
Interesting metaphor.. maybe foreshadowing a future result?
:rofl: Ah ha! Soogar, you have read my subconscious mind! My cerebral cortex, or whatever the he!! it is, is saying how great T&M are, skating "like newly polished silver," but deep in my primitive brain something is saying, "But they are not gold!"

Then who does my reptilian brain say will be gold?

Well, we now all know how accurate my prediction was that Michelle would win the OGM at these Olympics, so WTF? T&M could wind up with an unwanted bronze, tarnished silver, or a gold medal with a hole in it. These Italians and their design ideas, how Antonioni at his worst can you get? Which I can say because I'm half Italian. Didn't the New York subway tokens have a hole in them like that for a while? At best they look like flat washers or whatever those things are called.

Soogar, you crack me up. :rock:

Rgirl

BTW, ITA about biased Bezic, but don't get me started.

FauveNik

Rinkside
:rock: I love them too!! I must say I was completly impressed by the Americans and their Perfect throw triple axel!! Mon Dieu! that really took my breath away!!! Sad they did not follow it up with more Tech demading impliments as that being the short it would have launched them into 3,2, or 1st!.
It is very close between the top 4 and to be honest it could go any way. I do hope hope for the two Russian on the top places, as i do and have always thought they have much better presentation and fluiditie to their style. I enjoy the Tech of it all but what captures me is the calm grace that the old soivet pairs always carried and still do.
JMO!!
Fauve:)

RubyNV

Rinkside
Code of Points better, but the fix is still in

:mad:

The Code of Points should, in practice, not just in theory, be working better than it is. I love Shen and Zhao, but they had at least two major mistakes in their short program, which is the technical program. Messing up the short program is supposed to drop you way down in the standings. What are they doing ahead of Inoue and Baldwin, who made Olympic history with their throw 3-X, and who did a gorgeous classical program without errors? The timing on I&B's spins was also perfect. People are still being placed by reputation rather than actual performance. It doesn't help when commentators such as Bezic :scowl:
make brainless comments such as John and Rena not being at the Olympics for a medal, but that the landing of the throw 3X was their own Olympic victory!!
This is an absolutely first class team that the judges have some kind of prejudice against. I would have put them in at least fourth place, just ahead of Pang & Tong, whom I have seen do better programs than the one they just did.

I have been watching skating avidly for over 25 years, and it is always the same thing. No wonder so many people have given up on watching the sport. Also, in the same vein, it would good if people would stop harping on certain athletes being "the favorites". The only thing that should matter is what kind of performance the athletes actually give during the Olympics.

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
RubyNV said:
:mad:

It doesn't help when commentators such as Bezic :scowl:
make brainless comments such as John and Rena not being at the Olympics for a medal, but that the landing of the throw 3X was their own Olympic victory!!
This is an absolutely first class team that the judges have some kind of prejudice against.

I have been watching skating avidly for over 25 years, and it is always the same thing. No wonder so many people have given up on watching the sport. Also, in the same vein, it would good if people would stop harping on certain athletes being "the favorites". The only thing that should matter is what kind of performance the athletes actually give during the Olympics.

Actually they did say that in an interview, that they had thought of a way that would get them into the history books, so it really did sound like the most important thing for them was to make the throw triple axel..

I personally think it's fun to have favourites in sports. Especially if you don't know that much of the sport, it makes it easier to follow and the funnier for people who aren't favourites when they surprise people.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
A judge gave I&B a goe of -1 for their throw triple axel wich deserved at least a +2. Does someone have a grudge or did I miss something.
Their throw triple axel was beautiful and perfect, should of got the highest point value imo.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A few dumm comments

I&B's one negative 1 on the 3Ath

If you follow that judge's scores up and down the sheet, you will find that he is very kind to the throws of Chiness skaters and none too kind to the throws of Russians., tsk tsk.

I&B's tech

One or two people have questioned I&B's tech content. On the contrary, it's great. They had the highest planned tech content (33.1) Z&Z had planned 31.6 and T&M 30.6. As to how they performed that tech: T&M 35.93, I&B 35.53, and Z&Z 35.21. So no, adding the 3T's would not have done much for them. At best added .7 which the judges could easily have manipulated lower again by changing their PCS still lower. At this point, they were 2nd in TES and 9th in PCS. Their spin combo, pair spin, and lift are all level 4. Their throw is the hardest done. All the top 10 pairs had level 3 steps and level 3 twists. The only thing, other than the jump, that they could have upgrade is the death spiral, which is a level 3, but which got quite high GOE. A little glaringly out there, judges.

Now, on their PCS: It is very fair for their transitions to be low, as there are 2 very bare spots in the program, before the throw and before the 2A's. And you can take away from the choreo, too, on that account. However, their speed is very good, and their edges deep and effortless, which is why Dick was going on about the lobes in and around their circular steps. Their unison, which is part of one of the components in the PCS group, was just excellent. While no T&M (PCS 32.71) they sure weren't as low as 25.74 in my book. I would have had them about 29.18, same as O&S. Maybe as high as Zhangs 29.51 Now if they had had 29.18, their total score would be 29.18+35.53 = 64.71, almost a dead tie with the Zhangs.

So I think they wuz somewhat robbed, partially because they skated 4th or 5th in the program before anyone else and partially because they had a bad year last year. And partially because the US fed has never been interested in promoting them at all.

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
Thank you!:bow:

Ok, I get as surprised every time. How come TT/MM get level 4 lift? please, someone answer this.. and also to say there double twist was as good as the chinese pairs..nooo..

Last edited:

76olympics

On the Ice
Doris, I was waiting for you to show up with bated breath because I knew you would have one of your detailed analyses of I and B. Actually, when they skated so well yesterday, you were the first person I thought of. I am hoping that they have a great long program --though, like you, I think they are fated to be underscored. Their footwork and spins are really first rate (to paraphrase Dick). They also have a connection to each other that some of the technically super pairs like T and M don't have to my mind. It makes pair skating much more pleasant to watch . I saw the same quality in H and P and Z and S--but I just have a soft spot for I and B.

rain

Record Breaker
On a completely shallow note, I give a big thumbs-up to Pang's pantsuit costume. I thought it really looked good on her and took away from the oft-criticized skininess. I also thought it really highlighted how well body-matched she and her partner are and how beautifully their lines match.

hongligl

Final Flight
I would say T/M skated beautifully in the SP. However I doubt polished is equivalent to great. Their technical scores appear inflated to me, in throw, twist , lift and death spiral. In performance department, at least the transition of their program should be lower than more than one team, for example, S/S, S/Z and P/T. T/M have long preparation period for almost every big element, especially the twist and lift, and the entrance for the death spiral took forever for her to finally "die" . Z/Z did their sbs 3S beautifully and they got only +0.57 for GOE, T/M got +1 for their 3T. and T/m get better GOE on throw than the Chinese is just beyond my understanding. better lift points with wobby scratch steps of M and monotoned position of T ? To me it would be no no no. I'm no a judge so it doesn't matter anyway. Just what I thought.

Last edited:
rain said:
On a completely shallow note, I give a big thumbs-up to Pang's pantsuit costume. I thought it really looked good on her and took away from the oft-criticized skininess. I also thought it really highlighted how well body-matched she and her partner are and how beautifully their lines match.
:agree: Didn't she look great!?

nicole_l

Final Flight
Although I didn't get a chance to watch, I&B...:love:
Can't wait to see the free skate (and hopefully S&Z pull up for a medal).