Past Ladies Olympic Gold Medal | Golden Skate

Past Ladies Olympic Gold Medal

fredtx121

On the Ice
Recently I looked at the list of Ladies Olympic Gold Medalists since 1992 and watched their performances over and it seems like there have been a lot of controversy/surprises/ upsets for almost half of the competitions.

1992: Kristi Yamaguchi - I agree with the outcome

1994: Oksana Baiul- After watching both performances, I do not agree with this outcome. One of the closest competitions. Some say Nancy lost the competition because she doubled her triple flip and Oksana had better technical elements in her program. Nancy had better jump combinations and spins than Oksana including a triple toe triple toe. Oksana only did one combination - double axel double toe and had a double footing. Artistry is subjective--but in my mind, Oksanas use of jazz hands and novice choreography was unappealing. Nancy Kerrigan definitely deserved the gold. Maybe judges had a sympathy vote for Oksana due to her back story.

1998: Tara Lipinski - I am undecided on this one, but leaning towards Michelle Kwan on this one. I think Tara had the skate of her life that night with great technical elements compared to Michelle. But Michelle's artistry and choreography was much stronger than Taras. I think the score for Michelle would be accurate at 5.7 foe technical elements and 5.9 for presentation. For Tara it would be 5.9 for technical and 5.7 for presentation. This would both end up with a tie score but with the presentation score being the tie breaker, Michelle wins. I agree that if Michelle skated later in the group and after Tara, the presentation scores would be 6.0

2002- Sarah Hughes- I agree with the outcome

2006- Shizuka Arakawa- I agree with the outcome

2010- Yu Na Kim- I agree with the outcome

2014- Adelina Sotnikova- WHAT A JOKE! I do NOT agree with the outcome at all! How in the world did this performance beat Yu Na Kims? Some say its because she had a harder program technically, but how is it possible that her PCS scores became that inflated! Yes it was on her home ice, but her PCS in the 2013 Worlds was 13 points lower than Yu Na's! Basically she was probably told, she stay on your feet and you will be the champion. Biggest fluke in Olympic history for women's figure skating. She probably knows she doesn't deserve the gold. She will not be defending her title due to "injury" / knowing she knows she can't even place at nationals to qualify for the next Olympics

2018- ???? Will this be another surprise upset? Since the Olympics will be in South Korea--will there be some kind of retaliation for what happened to Yu Na Kim in 2014? Evegenia is such a strong competitor and is a superior skater. She is the clear favorite and should be Russia's first DESERVING Olympic Gold Medalist. But who knows--- maybe there will be another surprise!

NaVi

Medalist
Yes it was on her home ice, but her PCS in the 2013 Worlds was 13 points lower than Yu Na's! Basically she was probably told, she stay on your feet and you will be the champion.

Well I really don't have anything firm to base this on, but I think the ISU really wasn't too happy with Yuna. I remember reading old news stories where the ISU was pressuring her to do the 4CC and she resisted. She didn't do any of the Grand Prix's after the 2010 Olympics. She won at the 2013 worlds and then skipped the next Grand Prix series with an "injury" that many found suspect(and if faked, I wonder if it was because the final was in Japan). There probably should have a couple point SP gap at the Olympics, but Yuna skated early because she skipped so many events and the same thing happened with Plushenko in 2010. And people have picked Adelina's program apart, but Yuna had IIRC a 3Lz that could have been called UR.

It'll be quite a bit harder for Medvedeva to win the Olympics than her previous two world championships. It's better to be chasing close behind than to be leading the pack. I would be greatly surprised if she didn't win a medal, but weirder things have happened. I don't think there's anything to worry about her being screwed over.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Adelina beating Kim in 2014, in particular, definitely merits a discussion -- I don't think anyone has addressed the results of this competition at any point, have they?! :popcorn:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Maybe this should be a discussion about post-Olympic Gold activities, there's no use in drudging up old discussions like this because it's not like anything can be changed, there are times when skaters skate so well and we think they can't be denied but they are. I say this as someone who still thinks Yuna should have won OG in 2014, but she herself choose not to pursue anything. I think it would be better if as fans, we choose to support her activities in promoting her "little Korean skaters" who she still personally helps to polish and train and the Pyeongchang Olympics.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I agree with all of you except on 1994. I personally enjoys Chen Lu's program the most because she has the best program. Out of the top 3 I rewatched Lulu's programs the most. Nancy has really good jumps and skating skills that I admire so much, which is a shame because her musical choice is always abhorrent! I really cannot stand those 90's remix with film scores/disco/pop etc. Oksana, as you said, some messy jumps and not a very convincing choreography and presentation. so my score will be

Nancy: 5.9/5.7
Lulu: 5.6/5.8
Oksana: 5.7/5.7

and 2018 is definitely gonna be Evgenia's. She doesn't even need to skate perfect. Even if she falls once, or even twice she could still win with a score higher than 220. (Which is sad because this is the first Olympics I watch as a professional figure skating fan and i can't believe the gold is already decided. I now only watch for silver and bronze.)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
*sigh*

The best thing about this being an Olympic year? someone else will be reigning ladies champion and hopefully some of the vitriol will die off.

My biggest sadness about this list? How many of them had such short careers. I think Adelina could have silenced a lot of critics if she had come back and won a couple of world championships.

My second biggest sadness? That Michelle Kwan never got that Olympic Gold.

russianfan

Match Penalty
kinda surprised, i haven't yet found any occurences of "robbed" with Ctrl+F in this page

lanark

On the Ice
About 2014:

Facts:
Alexander Lakernik(from Russia): vice president of ISU, vice president of Russia federation, chairman of technical committee in 2002 salt lake City, and tech controller in Sochi.

Now you just do the math.

Sent from my Moto G using Golden Skate mobile app

lanark

On the Ice
If Medvedeva wins gold next year, it won't be deserves at all.
And the worst part is: the judges will probably give her a Olympic record in both SP and FS, otherwise spoiled Medvedeva won't be satisfied.

But, if she fixes all of her jumps, stops with the pantomiming and actually do something nice to watch, and stop with the excessive unnecessary ugly tanos, then I'll say "yay!!! Congrats to Medvedeva!!! 😄"

Sent from my Moto G using Golden Skate mobile app