Past Ladies Olympic Gold Medal | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Past Ladies Olympic Gold Medal

chloepoco

Medalist
I'm not projecting any hate on Adelina.
I do get angry about the result but I'm not to hate on anyone and wish them dead. That's nuts.
If some Yuna fans are projecting that kind of hatred on Sotnikova, please exclude me of that. I don't think that's fair either. And I even have stated here that her home cooked gold medal made more harm than good to her, which includes the hate she gets from crazy people.

The reason why Yuna didn't appeal is because she was just happy and relieved that she skated well, that's what was important to her, not any medals. I admire her very much for her attitude towards the whole thing.

The reason why I talk about it though is because I don't like injustices. I'm still a little naive and do believe that there can be justice in this world. A little part of me, deep down inside, still has hope that justice will be done somehow, someday. If you agree with me or not, it's up to you. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and to their perspective of the world.

I've been discussing the subject in a respectful way, so I don't see why some people here are so bothered by this discussion, telling me I shouldn't talk about this, asking me what is the point. If you don't see what is the point, just go find a discussion you think it's relevant and stop trying to shut people up.

When you start saying things like "home cooked gold medal" and talking about injustices, it is quite off-putting and very disrespectful to Adelina. Both Yuna and Adelina are beautiful skaters; you don't agree with the results. Others do. No one is trying to shut anyone up. It just gets old and tiresome.

lanark

On the Ice
When you start saying things like "home cooked gold medal" and talking about injustices, it is quite off-putting and very disrespectful to Adelina. Both Yuna and Adelina are beautiful skaters; you don't agree with the results. Others do. No one is trying to shut anyone up. It just gets old and tiresome.
It gets old and tiresome but you're still here complaining it gets old and tiresome. So I guess you're not that tired?
And when I call it "home cooked gold" I'm expressing my opinion. And I don't see how that's disrespectful to Adelina If she didn't have anything to do with the unfair results, I believe.
Also, just like Yuna, I don't think Adelina cares whether the results were fair or not, she was just happy with her gold medal.

But anyway, I've said enough.

Sent from my Moto G using Golden Skate mobile app

chloepoco

Medalist
It gets old and tiresome but you're still here complaining it gets old and tiresome. So I guess you're not that tired?
And when I call it "home cooked gold" I'm expressing my opinion. And I don't see how that's disrespectful to Adelina If she didn't have anything to do with the unfair results, I believe.
Also, just like Yuna, I don't think Adelina cares whether the results were fair or not, she was just happy with her gold medal.

But anyway, I've said enough.

Yes I'm still here. Not everything in this thread is centered around the Sochi women's gold medal results.

lanark

On the Ice
Yes I'm still here. Not everything in this thread is centered around the Sochi women's gold medal results.
Yes. Of course.
And I've said this before: feel free to talk about whatever other topic you think is relevant to this thread. How one thing excludes the other?
Instead of answering my posts you can make your own post about whatever you want to discuss here.
Very simple and more productive than getting into a discussion that you think is useless.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Lu Chen's music got removed on Youtube for her phenomenal 1998 Olympic Long Program. Corporate evil knows no bounds. Apparently they want to hurt their own sales, since music in skating programs is free marketing for them.

Cherry blossom

Match Penalty
Lu Chen's music got removed on Youtube for her phenomenal 1998 Olympic Long Program. Corporate evil knows no bounds. Apparently they want to hurt their own sales, since music in skating programs is free marketing for them.

I noticed alot of her programs on YT were taken down. Such a shame. She was truly one of the most underrated skaters I have seen. So graceful and artistic.

Alex D

Record Breaker
She is the clear favorite and should be Russia's first DESERVING Olympic Gold Medalist.

To get this straight into your head, hater. Every person who wins an Olympic gold medal is deserving it! We are talking of years of hard work, dedication and sacrifices - they all deserve their gold, no matter what you think about them! Sports is also about opportunities and to deliver when it counts.

In the end, the judges made their decision, so be it. I was happy for Adelina, she did not have it easy at that time and her programs were absolutely gorgeous throughout the years.

I also have to wonder, how you can claim that the victory in 2002 by Sarah was non controversial, while in reality it was the most controversial of all times. While I have my opinion about 2002, I think it´s pointless to keep talking about it and I wish people would finally stop that pointless hating on Russian skaters, especially Adelina. Seriously, I just want to understand why you trolls keep coming out every autumn, like the mushrooms growing in my yard.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
we just got nothing more to do after hacking US elections, sorry about that :biggrin:

Can you maybe hack it again please? Like a redo? :rofl:

Seriously though, I'm almost nostalgic about how fervently skating fans defend their favorites. While I wish we could avoid the insults, I think it points to how passionate we are about the sport. As I said, I'm going to be whining about how Michelle was robbed on my deathbed (and if Anna Pogorilaya doesn't get to go to the Olympics you can be sure I'll be complaining about that too!).

We can have differing opinions- no one will ever agree about Sochi (we're all arguing about it long after the actual athletes have moved on). Adelina is fantastic and I'm sorry injury so drastically affected her career- agreeing or disagreeing with the results doesn't make her any less of a skater. And winning Silver doesn't at all tarnish Yuna- she will be a legend in the sport irregardless. I have my own opinions about Sochi but those opinions don't change the fact that both Yuna and Adelina are wonderful.

lanark

On the Ice
People start criticizing Sochi results and skater's performances and automatically they are "haters", more specifically, "Russian haters" ...
Like, I can criticize my boyfriend, for instance, and that doesn't mean I hate him.
You keep distorting things... You are the ones making a big deal.
I see people talking about Yuna Kim all the time, criticizing her programs, her jumps, saying she wasn't a expressive skater, that she didn't point her toes, she wasn't too flexible, her I spins were awful, etc etc. All sorts of criticism. Do I call those people haters or trolls?? No. They are just people with a different opinion. And I can respect that.
But apparently, a lot of people here cannot stand any kind of criticism towards Russian skaters, specially Adelina and Medvedeva. I admire your passion, but let's not be blind. And let's hear what other people have to say, and if it so happens you don't like it or don't agree with what they're saying, try to use actual arguments instead of calling them haters, trolls or, as I've been called previously, "YouTube guerrilla from a certain country". 😂
Or maybe just ignore them??? That's a great option too. You know, "don't feed the trolls", that sort of thing...

Alex D

Record Breaker
Well, from the videos I've watched...,

And this is the whole problem of people criticizing the Sochi results. You have in fact only watched videos!

There is a huge difference between watching a video and actually being at the venue, as close to the ice as the judges were. I sat very close to the ice and at Oberstdorf I sit even closer, having the same view like the judges and it is a totally different experience than watching from home.

You will never understand speed and power or attitude of a skater, unless you see her or him directly at the ice rink.

I saw Adelina multiple times that season, she had fire and was ready, while with Yuna Kim I often felt she was not 100%. Her jumps did not look as fresh and energetic as in the past, she popped some and hesitated during warm ups. I honestly never saw anything like that from her before, but to me she was not the same skater like in 2010. She was clearly very nervous and took a deep breath after one of her landings. You underestimate what it means to have a shot for a second time on an Olympic Gold medal. Even the best athletes can give in to the pressure, it´s not easy to win back to back titles, especially the Olympics.

There was a reason why Yuna Kim tried to get a few competitions under her belt, even skating at minor events such the NRW Trophy. She knew, she needed more time and a better performance to defend the title and in the end, she thought that a less difficult, but clean program could do the trick, but it couldn´t. Other skaters stepped up their game and she sadly, didn´t had more to offer to counter them. In hindsight, Caro with Silver and Yuna Kim with bronze, would have been a correct result as well.
Isn't it a little strange and extremely rare a FS Olympic Champion not having a WC title??

Sarah Hughes doesn´t have one.

So true. I noticed this announcement of a coming concert by the Southwest Michigan Symphony Orchestra in a program featuring their principal harpist.

Angel's Song. Although his compositional output was large and varied, William Alwyn’s concerto for harp and string orchestra, Lyra angelica, has gained most prominence since American figure skater Michelle Kwan utilized its music in her 1998 Winter Olympics routine. SMSO’s very own principal harpist, Rachel Miller, will be featured on this beautiful composition.

http://www.michigan.org/event/angel-s-song

Without Michelle's performance, no one would ever have heard of William Alwyn, much less his harp concerto.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tabu? No. Discussed over thousand times and usually ended in uncivil manner? Yes (maybe not here as we have moderation but tumblr? YT?)

The thing is, GS gets new members all the time, and those people may want to discuss for the first time something that you may think has been discussed too much. I've only been active here a couple of years, and I've been scolded for wanting to know about things that others say have been "done to death." But all the interesting parts of the discussion are new to me.

Why not just skip over such discussions if you're sick of them and weary of the repetition? It's usually easy to tell what a post is about, you don't have to read the whole thing. Just go on to read and post what you're interested in.

I do wish we could agree not to call each other "haters" because we disagree about skaters.

mrrice

Record Breaker
^^^ Excellent Comment, Skylark. It is so easy just to skip to the next thread as there are hundreds on GS. If you search the archives, there are thousands. If people get bored with we're talking about, they can start a thread of their own. This site is a gold mine for skating fans young and old. Ejnsofi.....Give it time and continue to explore the entire site. Find your favorite skater's fan page in "Fan Fest" and if someone you like doesn't have a page....Start one for them. Post links to stories and videos of your favorites and help us learn about them....

Tulipstar

Medalist
And this is the whole problem of people criticizing the Sochi results. You have in fact only watched videos!

There is a huge difference between watching a video and actually being at the venue, as close to the ice as the judges were. I sat very close to the ice and at Oberstdorf I sit even closer, having the same view like the judges and it is a totally different experience than watching from home.

You will never understand speed and power or attitude of a skater, unless you see her or him directly at the ice rink.

I saw Adelina multiple times that season, she had fire and was ready, while with Yuna Kim I often felt she was not 100%. Her jumps did not look as fresh and energetic as in the past, she popped some and hesitated during warm ups. I honestly never saw anything like that from her before, but to me she was not the same skater like in 2010. She was clearly very nervous and took a deep breath after one of her landings. You underestimate what it means to have a shot for a second time on an Olympic Gold medal. Even the best athletes can give in to the pressure, it´s not easy to win back to back titles, especially the Olympics.

There was a reason why Yuna Kim tried to get a few competitions under her belt, even skating at minor events such the NRW Trophy. She knew, she needed more time and a better performance to defend the title and in the end, she thought that a less difficult, but clean program could do the trick, but it couldn´t. Other skaters stepped up their game and she sadly, didn´t had more to offer to counter them. In hindsight, Caro with Silver and Yuna Kim with bronze, would have been a correct result as well.

Sarah Hughes doesn´t have one.

Thank you!

I've find it hard to determine who was the better skater at Sochi, but I've leaned more towards it being Yuna Kim. Your perspective (having seen them for real) is great food for thought.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I also have to wonder, how you can claim that the victory in 2002 by Sarah was non controversial, while in reality it was the most controversial of all times.

In what reality was Sarah's win the most controversial victory of all time? She skated by far the best of the night, a magical performance that is up there among the best ever.

I saw Adelina multiple times that season, she had fire and was ready, while with Yuna Kim I often felt she was not 100%. Her jumps did not look as fresh and energetic as in the past, she popped some and hesitated during warm ups. I honestly never saw anything like that from her before. Other skaters stepped up their game and she sadly, didn't had more to offer to counter them.

Anything that happened earlier in the season or in warmups has nothing whatsoever to do with the competition itself and who deserved to win. Yuna delivered in the actual performance and had plenty to offer over Sotnikova:

*Better edges and finesse of movement
*Better footwork sequence
*Better 3Lutz+3Toe
*No mistake on the 3-jump combo

Sotnikova had a better layback and I-spin, and a 3Loop. Is that really enough to overtake everything else? If the technical panel had called everything accurately (Level 3 footwork sequences for Sotnikova in SP + LP, Level 4 for Yuna in the LP, and 3Lz! + 3Toe< combo for Sotnikova), then Sotnikova likely would have lost the competition even with the inflated PCS + GOE they were giving her.

It does remain a tragedy that Yuna's program was not choreographed nearly as well as it could have been, but it's not as if a masterpiece was necessary to be better than Sotnikova's program.