Patrick Chan | Page 211 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
OMG OMG OMG what a night! I doubt I will have a voice when I wake up tomorrow. I screamed so much tonight. So so happy for Patrick to lay it down like he did after what I can only describe as a very frustrating practice session this afternoon. You would never know the way he skated tonight. I sincerely hope this helps his confidence and convinces him that he can and should stay in until Olympics. I am so glad that I was here to see it in person. Looking forward to tomorrow!

So happy for him and for you! What a great time to be in Halifax!

MIM

Medalist
I've watch this multiple times to make up for the last 3 competitions.

So do I.
I keep watching his sp with joy and awe repeatedly.

One thing I found; he left out one hop before the 4T-3T combo, compared to his SP at the SC (https://youtu.be/8VaZd4sE3nE?t=58). Maybe that one hop bothered his timing/count to the quad combo at the past competitions. ;)
Love to see Kathy and David support and cheer for him at the link side and the K&C.

His skating speaks volume of how much work he put into. I am so happy he found the last missing piece at the Nationals as he said in the interview. I could really see his gaining the confidence gradually back and connecting with the audience during the program.

While he was amazing and brilliant here, (I do not want to sound too bratty and spoiled, but) honestly, I think he is capable of being better at the 4CCs and the Worlds performance-wise. This is only his first clean sp of the season. We have not seen his best yet!

Also, this season we have not seen his LP either, when he does not have any pressure/frustration from a bad sp. SO EXCITED FOR TOMORROW!!!:love:

Last edited:

calica

Final Flight
Well....I need to tell it. Now that his advantage is so great that he can not lose (except catastrophe), he should try in his FS the 4S.
he would show that he is still in the game and if he does well, he would have more confidence to face the 4CC.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Is he planning to compete at 4CC? If he does, that would be great for the audience and him to try the new planed layout, but as 4CC doesn't have the same weight as Euros and he has already multiple titles from the championships, I'm not sure about his participation.

Last edited:

m0001

On the Ice
Is he planning to compete at 4CC? If he does, that would be great for the audience and him to try the new planed layout, but as 4CC doesn't have the same weight as Euros and he has already multiple titles from the championships, I'm not sure about his participation.

Yes. He is going to 4CC!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Why? What do you see as negative possibilities from his participation?

IMO, it's not as much about the title as another much needed competition experience before Worlds. He has not had a "normal" competition since comeback, what with the emotional roller coaster, poor SP results until yesterday, the aborted TEB, the off podium GPF, etc. He finally performed his SP up to his standard just now and once, and hopefully will do the same today for his LP with raised difficulty, with the additional 3A that he has not included in his program for a few years now. However he will do today, it will do him good to have another experience of performing both programs really well in a competition. It will go a long way to normalize his competition mindset and emotions, boost his confidence, have further adjustments on these programs if necessary, then he will really be firmly on his comeback path, having put the extra and obstructing distractions behind him. Going to the 4CC this year demonstrates and deepens his commitment to compete.

I believe everything happens in life to help one grow. Until one does, the same issues will surface again and again. So I hope Patrick makes another giant step forward on his life's path having dealt with the recent turmoils and challenges. That itself is a huge success.

There is a little over a month before Worlds after his trip to Taipei and back so there should be enough time to recover from the travels and to train further before Worlds. The prize money will help too since he missed out on TEB and GPF.

calica

Final Flight
Exactly, he needs to take confidence and for that they need to compete.
And that's why I said what attempting 4S today....but he would not lose anything and if he made a clean 4S, would serve to be more confident.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Exactly, he needs to take confidence and for that they need to compete.
And that's why I said what attempting 4S today....but he would not lose anything and if he made a clean 4S, would serve to be more confident.

You can't just throw in an element impromptu, especially a new and extremely difficult one. It has to be worked into an adjusted choreography and the the new program practiced to satisfaction. Just look at all the failed quads and failed programs because of the quads despite the well practiced choreography.

Patrick and his coach have a plan they don't wish to rush into, sacrificing the sublime quality of his skating and performance.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
FUN POLL for tonight's LP!

1) What will Patrick wear tonight for his LP (which will bring the house down and end the men's competition on a great note)? :thumbsup:

A) His "White Noise" costume from Skate Canada
B) His dark costume from the Grand Prix Final
C) A costume he's worn in past seasons
D) A completely new costume

2) If you chose D above, do you think his new costume will be:

A) Similar to his other LP costumes this season (e.g., last night's SP costume was similar, just better fit and color)
B) Totally different from his other LP costumes this season

3) What do you think the best costume for his Chopin LP should be?

Please voice your opinion. Designers welcome! :biggrin:

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I think Patrick should wear the costumes he wins in.
He won in the "white noise" costume, so maybe he should go back to that. Then again, I wouldn't mind seeing a new costume. The GPF one was way too somber for my taste.

ETA: Well, if vivley's assumption below is correct, he'll be wearing the GPF one. Darn it! :laugh:

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
And according to this article from GS, Kathy decided on his SP costume change.

Chan was also sporting a costume change: a bright purple sweater vest in place of the mauve V-neck sweater he used earlier in the season. The costume switch was his coach’s decision.

“The other sweater was too bulky,” explained Johnson. “It didn’t show Patrick’s body and it made him look like a block and we weren’t able to see the line of a lot of the movements. I thought it was thick and heavy and I wanted more of a sexy, understated swag feel, so we decided on the vest. I think it works better.”

As for tonight's LP, it looks like he'll wear the one he wore at the GPF.

He did his 3A2T clean in practice.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Why? What do you see as negative possibilities from his participation?

IMO, it's not as much about the title as another much needed competition experience before Worlds. He has not had a "normal" competition since comeback, what with the emotional roller coaster, poor SP results until yesterday, the aborted TEB, the off podium GPF, etc. He finally performed his SP up to his standard just now and once, and hopefully will do the same today for his LP with raised difficulty, with the additional 3A that he has not included in his program for a few years now. However he will do today, it will do him good to have another experience of performing both programs really well in a competition. It will go a long way to normalize his competition mindset and emotions, boost his confidence, have further adjustments on these programs if necessary, then he will really be firmly on his comeback path, having put the extra and obstructing distractions behind him. Going to the 4CC this year demonstrates and deepens his commitment to compete.

I believe everything happens in life to help one grow. Until one does, the same issues will surface again and again. So I hope Patrick makes another giant step forward on his life's path having dealt with the recent turmoils and challenges. That itself is a huge success.

There is a little over a month before Worlds after his trip to Taipei and back so there should be enough time to recover from the travels and to train further before Worlds. The prize money will help too since he missed out on TEB and GPF.

Thanks for the detailed answer and enlightenment. However, I simply asked about the possibility of his participation without any ill intention because I haven't closely followed his interviews or announcements as a casual fan of him. I'm puzzled by your reaction honestly. Due to the mentioned factors you listed, many prominent skaters skipped the event (eg. Mao Asada this season), so 4CC is treated as a neglected competition. If he said his plan for 4CC in an interview, that is fine with me.

Last edited: