Patrick Chan | Page 281 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I think this is a great idea for Patrick. We've been wondering about his frequent visits to BC and now it's been cleared up. It's great that he planned this out and decided what's best for him. At Worlds people were making fun of him for complaining about ruts, but he was really not used to skating on ice shared by other single competitors in Detroit. Ice dancers don't do as much to the ice as those jumping beans. So it's good he'll be with other single skaters and has the future mapped out to look forward to once the competitive days are over. He also seems to be further ahead in his future planning than many other top skaters. It's amazing that he's got the support to make his own centre. Well done Patrick!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Mango, he has no control over the condition of the competition ice though he took action to address the inconsistency in Taipei, which resulted in he giving us the wonderful LP. Yes, these days, skating last after a bunch of quadsters is perilous, so I hope hosting federations pay attention to address the likely scenario of unacceptable ice.

However, Patrick was referring to practice ice where he needs a balance of having compatible peers around and a uncrowded rink. It is clear that he is not used to practicing with too many skaters and coaches on the ice at the same time, one of the reasons Orser is out of the question for him despite all the uninformed (and uninspired) advice.

He also seeks the right social atmosphere, which I think he will find in BC. He was ostracized at Colorado Springs after his split with Krall and eventually he left though I think he really liked the outdoors there and the high altitude training. He had friends in Detroit but they have all left.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Mais oui indeed. I want to be on that tour! Or a similar one if I can't keep up with this buff and fit group.

i did a wine tour in the okanagan.. 11 wineries in two days... we used a shuttle so we could drink as much as we wanted LOL biking in there requires sobriety and extreme fitness ;) but the wines of the small local vineyards... delicious...

ultraworld

Rinkside
I think one of the reasons Patrick has not been taking University courses is his indecision about his future pursuit. At one time, he even thought about athletics related business in China, and considering finance as he followed a trader around in Dubai. As his self knowledge becomes clearer and his path is revealed more to him, he is likely to follow through with his studies when he's done with competing.

What has been his "university story"(what has he done? what would he like to do in the future if He will attend university?)
I'm sorry if you have already talked about it and if i will sound a bit repetitive.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I think one of the reasons Patrick has not been taking University courses is his indecision about his future pursuit. At one time, he even thought about athletics related business in China, and considering finance as he followed a trader around in Dubai. As his self knowledge becomes clearer and his path is revealed more to him, he is likely to follow through with his studies when he's done with competing.

What has been his "university story"(what has he done? what would he like to do in the future if He will attend university?)
I'm sorry if you have already talked about it and if i will sound a bit repetitive.

Patrick was accepted into the University of Toronto, but had deferred his acceptance to focus on skating. He planned to pursue a "B.A. in Economics, Business and International Language" according to Skate Canada. I guess he's changed his mind and his future plans now.

Violet Bliss I think you're right about having a good environment with other skaters. I don't think he could ever return to The Cricket. It was his place in his neighbourhood but after Mr. Colson passed away things changed. If Mr. Colson was around, I don't think Javier or Yuzuru would be there, but Patrick certainly would be. Things happen. It's a new chapter for Chiddy, and it's time to get it together for 2018. I hope he can accomplish everything he wants before he retires.

Edit: I'm not sure what's going on with the quote system but I mean to quote ultraworld.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
you guys just need to edit your posts as there was a glitch in one quote and then it just keeps transfering... but it's okay.. we understand what you are saying ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thank you! But I edited in consideration that our fruity Patrick fan may just prefer quality over quantity.

Yes yes, and snow for skiing. Will you consider building him an even better school in Montreal?

Mango is a cool fruit ;) i am sure she/he wasn't offended ;) but consideration and respect are qualities i always appreciate

not building him a school... but i could play live piano for him, when he trains and teaches ;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Patrick has been postponing his university education for a few years now. The cost was a major consideration while he was in the US, along with time while he was training for the Olympics. He registered to study at U of Toronto to begin fall of 2014 but instead he toured and did skating shows, taking a real break.

I was a staunch believer in higher education but not necessarily for job consideration. But these days, I don't believe so much in formal education which of course offers diplomas and credentials. There are education and learning opportunities from all kinds of resources as well as great and varied career and business opportunities nowadays. Knowledge acquired outside of traditional institutions and from life experiences can be much more unique, pragmatic and applicable to today's world for someone with motivation, inspiration, and a keen and open mind. I just thought about Patrick's education recently and felt in some ways he would benefit from a formal education and in some other ways he has already learned and acquired much knowledge and wisdom from his experiences and penchant for learning and improvements. Of course, it would be very good for him to take courses in BC to better equip himself in his future endeavors now that he is clear about what he wants to do. And, I believe in learning for learning's sake, for interests, and for fun.

ultraworld

Rinkside
Patrick has been postponing his university education for a few years now. The cost was a major consideration while he was in the US, along with time while he was training for the Olympics. He registered to study at U of Toronto to begin fall of 2014 but instead he toured and did skating shows, taking a real break.

I was a staunch believer in higher education but not necessarily for job consideration. But these days, I don't believe so much in formal education which of course offers diplomas and credentials. There are education and learning opportunities from all kinds of resources as well as great and varied career and business opportunities nowadays. Knowledge acquired outside of traditional institutions and from life experiences can be much more unique, pragmatic and applicable to today's world for someone with motivation, inspiration, and a keen and open mind. I just thought about Patrick's education recently and felt in some ways he would benefit from a formal education and in some other ways he has already learned and acquired much knowledge and wisdom from his experiences and penchant for learning and improvements. Of course, it would be very good for him to take courses in BC to better equip himself in his future endeavors now that he is clear about what he wants to do. And, I believe in learning for learning's sake, for interests, and for fun.

So, if i have understood well (don't trust me ahaha) he will take business courses in BC University to improve his knowledge in this Sector that will help him to better run his FS school in the future?
So, could we say that this(running this elite school) will be his future job?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So, if i have understood well (don't trust me ahaha) he will take business courses in BC University to improve his knowledge in this Sector that will help him to better run his FS school in the future?
So, could we say that this(running this elite school) will be his future job?

No. We'll only know when it happens. But I can see such possibility

Also, I hope he doesn't have the job mentality but is open to life's lessons and opportunities, which can be better than one can plan for.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
not building him a school... but i could play live piano for him, when he trains and teaches ;)

How about a twofer? I'm sure the parents of the skaters that would attend Patrick's school would want them to learn skating and piano, just like he did. You could could arrange a deal to teach his skating students piano... ;)

No. We'll only know when it happens. But I can see such possibility

Also, I hope he doesn't have the job mentality but is open to life's lessons and opportunities, which can be better than one can plan for.

It will be a big change of mindset for Patrick, going from singles skater to business owner. He will need a good team to help him run things on both the business and athletic sides. And building something new and from scratch won't be easy. I hope he gets very good advisors like you, VB. ;)

------
Video from last year where Patrick talks about his school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4kTOnLRv_I&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
How about a twofer? I'm sure the parents of the skaters that would attend Patrick's school would want them to learn skating and piano, just like he did. You could could arrange a deal to teach his skating students piano... ;)

It will be a big change of mindset for Patrick, going from singles skater to business owner. He will need a good team to help him run things on both the business and athletic sides. And building something new and from scratch won't be easy. I hope he gets very good advisors like you, VB. ;)

------
Video from last year where Patrick talks about his school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4kTOnLRv_I&feature=youtu.be

we are kidding of course here but yeah... i am very particular about my students. they have to be good.... not too young... very dedicated etc... if they don't practice, they get the boot... that's why i am not planning to teach patrick's students (aka children).... even patrick himself, he'd have to practice a lot more than he did as a kid to get to a level where he'd be safe in my class ;) or he could bring me ice wine at every lesson... i have a student who's pretty advanced but busy with school... every week she hasn't practiced enough, her mom makes me a dry gin martini before the lesson so i am not too mean to her lol

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

This is not an overnight change for Patrick. McLeod will be the main coach there while Patrick will be training and competing till the 2018 Olympics. Then he will likely be doing shows for a while, giving clinics and special coaching events at his school and being the draw for the Club. He will be the Advisory Director of Skating Operations of the Drummond Club which will build and manage the skating school as part of the project. Patrick will be able to implement his ideas for the school in consultation with other experts and the management but he is not the owner. There may be some agreement on some kind of profit sharing or company shares besides contract compensation. It is very smart of them to get him in on the deal so many potential clients, from the Chinese population especially, will be drawn there for more than skating. Many would love to play tennis with him or just to run into him and rub some shoulders, wouldn't they?

Patrick may not be majoring in business as he sounds like he wants to study what he wants to teach and incorporate into skating training, courses about human body dynamics and movement theories, etc. We shall wait and see.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
we are kidding of course here but yeah... i am very particular about my students. they have to be good.... not too young... very dedicated etc... if they don't practice, they get the boot... that's why i am not planning to teach patrick's students (aka children).... even patrick himself, he'd have to practice a lot more than he did as a kid to get to a level where he'd be safe in my class ;) or he could bring me ice wine at every lesson... i have a student who's pretty advanced but busy with school... every week she hasn't practiced enough, her mom makes me a dry gin martini before the lesson so i am not too mean to her lol

Lol, but you could teach the high schoolers, or the siblings/friends/classmates of Patrick's students. Besides, those "children" would most likely have "tiger parents" who would crack the whip and make them practice all the time. No worries. :laugh:

This is not an overnight change for Patrick.

Definitely it's a gradual process. But since he's already thinking about where he wants to buy his first house, I'm assuming he's given his future career(s) a great deal of thought. Regardless of whether he is the actual owner or not, he will be in charge of the school. Of course, he won't know until he's in the thick of it how he really feels about building and running it. I hope it's a richly rewarding experience for him.

It is very smart of them to get him in on the deal so many potential clients, from the Chinese population especially, will be drawn there for more than skating. Many would love to play tennis with him or just to run into him and rub some shoulders, wouldn't they?

Lol, I had joked before on Twitter that somewhere in this world, an Asian parent is saying to their child, "why are you not more like Patrick Chan?" Once his school is built, I expect more Chinese parents than ever to say that to their kids, especially when they run into him.

But one thing he is missing is good Chinese PR and media attention, and I hope this changes when he moves to Vancouver. For example, another Twitter user noticed when searching Baidu that there were three times as many articles in Chinese on Hanyu than on Patrick! And so far when I've searched for Chinese news articles on him today, there were none about his latest announcement.

Patrick may not be majoring in business as he sounds like he wants to study what he wants to teach and incorporate into skating training, courses about human body dynamics and movement theories, etc. We shall wait and see.

I say they ought to just award him an honorary degree! He deserves it! Also, should he win 10 Canadian championships, he should be awarded the Order of Canada or something similar. After all, Javier already got his royal order.

GRACEZ

Spectator
Lol, but you could teach the high schoolers, or the siblings/friends/classmates of Patrick's students. Besides, those "children" would most likely have "tiger parents" who would crack the whip and make them practice all the time. No worries. :laugh:

Definitely it's a gradual process. But since he's already thinking about where he wants to buy his first house, I'm assuming he's given his future career(s) a great deal of thought. Regardless of whether he is the actual owner or not, he will be in charge of the school. Of course, he won't know until he's in the thick of it how he really feels about building and running it. I hope it's a richly rewarding experience for him.

Lol, I had joked before on Twitter that somewhere in this world, an Asian parent is saying to their child, "why are you not more like Patrick Chan?" Once his school is built, I expect more Chinese parents than ever to say that to their kids, especially when they run into him.

But one thing he is missing is good Chinese PR and media attention, and I hope this changes when he moves to Vancouver. For example, another Twitter user noticed when searching Baidu that there were three times as many articles in Chinese on Hanyu than on Patrick! And so far when I've searched for Chinese news articles on him today, there were none about his latest announcement.

I say they ought to just award him an honorary degree! He deserves it! Also, should he win 10 Canadian championships, he should be awarded the Order of Canada or something similar. After all, Javier already got his royal order.

Oh Hi! Here is the "another Twitter user"! It's sweet to log into my account for the first time and found someone has mentioned me already! As Chinese I always wonder why Hanyu receives WAY MORE attention than Patrick at least in mainland China. But I don't think popularity in China is a main problem for him for figure skating is not that popular in China at all. I kinda selfishly wish he can be more popular here because it just really hurts when you can't find anyone who have heard his name around. I only know one girl online that is a fan of Patrick who lives in the same city as I do.And I live in Beijing, the population of my city is equal to (or even more than) the population of Canada.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
happylife shared with us many pictures of Patrick and her at the Chinese community gala in Toronto (sorry I don't remember the exact name of the event, just the photos :love:)

Patrick is quite involved within the Toronto Chinese community... and well, his centre will be in Richmond... he won't need much of an effort to be involved in the Chinese community there.... Richmond is probably the most Chinese city in Canada.... with a very high proportion of Asian people. I think his plan is perhaps also to include his parents in a town where they may be happy to retire ?

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Oh Hi! Here is the "another Twitter user"! It's sweet to log into my account for the first time and found someone has mentioned me already! As Chinese I always wonder why Hanyu receives WAY MORE attention than Patrick at least in mainland China. But I don't think popularity in China is a main problem for him for figure skating is not that popular in China at all. I kinda selfishly wish he can be more popular here because it just really hurts when you can't find anyone who have heard his name around. I only know one girl online that is a fan of Patrick who lives in the same city as I do.And I live in Beijing, the population of my city is equal to (or even more than) the population of Canada.

Welcome, Grace! I'm happy that Patrick has supporters like you in China. We need to spread the word about his skating there!

Finally, a Chinese article in the Vancouver Singtao newspaper:

http://vancouver.singtao.ca/574055/2016-05-18/post-陳偉群辦花滑學校-擬列治文建場館/?variant=zh-hk

Simplified version:

http://info.vanpeople.com/m/article.php?itemid=557057

According to Patrick's uncle, Patrick must have made plans to move to Vavncouver and build the school earlier this year.

Last edited: