Patrick Chan | Page 215 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I just watched Patrick's Nationals LP for the first time. TWO QUADS FINALLY!!! :yay: In his post-LP interview he said "wasn't used to the cardio" of doing the second 4T. He's used to doing two quads, though, so why would he not be used to it? The 3T wasn't ever planned, but since it takes less out of a skater than a quad, maybe that's what he was referring to? The first Axel was not perfect and the second one was doubled. Patrick did look very tired after the second Axel, but he got through it. The doubled flip was unexpected, but hey, it's nationals.

But, in his interviews he's taking a positive approach. I couldn't hear much of what Kathy said to him in the kiss and cry (be quiet, Tracy! :laugh:) but I did hear, "I'm so proud of you." We are too, Patrick, we are too. :yes: :) NUMBER EIGHT!!!!!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I just watched Patrick's Nationals LP for the first time. TWO QUADS FINALLY!!! :yay: In his post-LP interview he said "wasn't used to the cardio" of doing the second 4T. He's used to doing two quads, though, so why would he not be used to it? The 3T wasn't ever planned, but since it takes less out of a skater than a quad, maybe that's what he was referring to? The first Axel was not perfect and the second one was doubled. Patrick did look very tired after the second Axel, but he got through it. The doubled flip was unexpected, but hey, it's nationals.

I already posted about this issue and believe he just needs a little more time of smart training to get back to peak competitive physical condition.

It looks to me he's now on track, finally, and just needs to stay on track with a positive mindset. Smooth sailing from now on. Sailing on track? Why not?! :laugh: You know the saying "that train has sailed"? Well, on track, why not ;)

But, in his interviews he's taking a positive approach. I couldn't hear much of what Kathy said to him in the kiss and cry (be quiet, Tracy! :laugh:) but I did hear, "I'm so proud of you." We are too, Patrick, we are too. :yes: :) NUMBER EIGHT!!!!!

I think it was Rod who started yakking and I was mad at him. How dare he interrupt my eavesdropping? :mad:

calica

Final Flight
I try to find the FS in HD but it´s impossible and I'm sad not to have had the opportunity to see the exhibition.
(and youtube is not)

From twitter:

"Here's a chance to meet me this summer at a private wine tasting at FlatRock Cellars. I'm going to five LCBO locations across the GTA to sign a bottle of my Icewine at each location. If you find and purchase one of the 5 specially signed bottles, it's your ticket into the private wine tasting. Better hurry, one ticket is already gone! Tag me in your photo using ‪#‎PCIcewine‬ with my specially signed bottle and we'll be in touch with all the details. This special event includes many of Flat Rock Cellars award winning wines and my Icewine! Don't forget to keep the bottle! Must be 19 years or older."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZk8s-3UkAEJxr4.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZlDvdtVIAAgz8O.jpg

"Fourth specially signed bottle is on the shelf! Can you guess where?"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZlUT2TUsAA_Vvn.jpg:large

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Amen. I just decided that it wasn't worth it to try and win the battle but then to lose the war. I'd rather have inner peace than want to be right.

Amen. People spend over 90% of their energy on being right, aka defending their beliefs, often carrying on arguments in their own heads. Imagine how productive we could be if we devote the energy to our goals. I would rather spend all that energy on what feels good.

You know what I noticed about Patrick at Canadians. Before both the start of his sp and lp I saw him touch his solar plexus. He may have done it before and I hadn't noticed or he just started doing this to calm and centre himself. Well it worked! :yes:

I checked it out. He touched his heart rather than the solar plexus. I don't know if it's a conscious technique or an unconscious act. In either case, it's more about love and compassion than power and will. It could also be about peace and acceptance. It worked for him. :)

Will check this out with videos of earlier performances. Thanks for sharing this observation.

eta. I can't find him doing this in any previous performances, yet he did it for both programs at this Nationals. I hope Patrick has found a reliable way to settle himself for a competitive performance. Keep the ritual as long as it works :agree:

You are an astute observer, blueberryhill. Was it also you who saw the difference in his SP quad entry?

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist

Thank you for sharing, Calica! I especially love the last one, where he is pointing up at the street sign. His smile looks so natural and genuine there!

-------------------

Just read this article that has Patrick's expanded comments on figure skating developments. I'm sure some of of his competitors' fans will be up in arms about what he said. But I wanted to briefly comment on the following:

Chan is quietly going to work on his programs in the hopes that the quality of his overall skating will be acknowledged by the international judges in future events, including the Olympics.

This is good, but I'm not sure that "quietly working on his programs" will be enough. I think he needs to do some marketing. Just like he's marketing his ice wine and posting great photos of himself, etc. to promote it, he (or someone on his team) needs to stay on top of international judging developments and know exactly what international judges are looking for, and what he needs to do to remain highly visible in front of them all the way to the Olympics. Knowing what audiences are expecting and marketing himself to them will also help a bit.

On an up note, I laughed when I read that Patrick said "just people moseying down the ice". Gosh, I haven't heard the phrase "moseying down" used in a long time! Is this a common Canadian parlance? Otherwise, Patrick is starting to sound like a Midwesterner!

Last edited:

blueberryhill

On the Ice
I checked it out. He touched his heart rather than the solar plexus. I don't know if it's a conscious technique or an unconscious act. In either case, it's more about love and compassion than power and will. Maybe it's about peace and acceptance. It worked. :)

Will check this out with videos of earlier performances. Thanks for sharing this observation.

eta. I can't find him doing this in any previous performances, yet he did it for both programs at this Nationals. I hope Patrick has found a reliable way to settle himself for a competitive performance. Keep the ritual as long as it works :agree:

You are an astute observer, blueberryhill. Was it also you who saw the difference in his SP quad entry?
No I didn't make the observation about the SP quad entry - I believe that was either m0001 or MIM. (I actually tried to look that one up and I couldn't catch it myself.)

What I did notice about the Nat's MTK was the level of engagement that Patrick had with the judges. That was very noticeable to me he made eye contact with the judges numerous times and on one occasion he flicked his head at them. I loved that one! Patrick is such an introspective skater that I am pleased that he is making this effort. Imo it's not 100% authentic YET but it still adds a lot to the performance. :agree:

Another thing I noticed was the cut in the music during the spin near the end of the program (again mtk). Obviously they added more time to allow Patrick to not feel so rushed.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Where is MIM? I m waiting for the new interpretation of Patrick's interpretation of his Nationals LP music with the slightly different content. It may rival Patrick's smooth easy yet intricate glide on ice. :)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I'm purposely steering clear of the toxic fumes...

More cute pictures of Patrick with the fans. So sweet! How could anyone bash him?

Hugging volunteers: https://twitter.com/SkaterzMama/status/691635483110182913

With a fan Downtown: https://twitter.com/gobinrya/status/691684232972861441

With three kids - how happy he looks! https://twitter.com/3wildplums/status/691367256358572032

With fans who brought a bottle of icewine for him to sign: https://twitter.com/Brooklet425/status/691306376350547968

Simply adorable!

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Thanks for the videos! I can not help wondering how incredibly Patrick slips on the ice. Even without second quad his short program is something special. Very special.

MIM

Medalist
Where is MIM? I m waiting for the new interpretation of Patrick's interpretation of his Nationals LP music with the slightly different content. It may rival Patrick's smooth easy yet intricate glide on ice. :)

LOL, thank you guys for waiting for me.
I needed a HD video of his LP just to make sure what I see :) https://youtu.be/Dow7zDR2uhw?t=2593 (Thank you Dasani T for posting it!)

It was a strong come back with an added 4T and an attempted 3A(2A)-2T.
He has huge artistic achievements in his LP at the GPs; the supreme quality of every element at the SC and the deep, sorrowful, and resonating artistry at the GPF. They were indeed significant achievements, although shadowed by the "lack of contents/quad" arguments sadly.

I think Patrick had to slightly(like, 5%) set back artistically in the LP at the Nationals for his new technical goals. Having to focus on the upgraded jumps and adjust the program accordingly, he had to give up a little bit of freedom of body movements and emotional projection. His Stsq and the entrance to the flying camel was not as smooth and musical as they were. The emphasis of certain postures to deepen the nuance was not as glowing and sharp. He seems to loosen his awareness he had on every detail for now and went with the flow which he has been building throughout competitions and training. It is only a preparation to be better and still, his program looks beautiful and effortless.

I think he took this event as a practice event in the journey to the Worlds. Maybe David was there to watch him closely to adjust the choreography if needed. He will move forward methodically and find the fine line of balance between art and sports.

Oh, love-letter-wise, I think the letter hasn't been sent yet. It is still in his hand and I am expecting it soon. ;)

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thank you MIM for your review. I think there is a fatigue factor affecting both his technical and artistic outputs at the Nationals, particularly in the second half of the program. I schedule him to complete his new technical content at 4CC and get it all together at Worlds. :) Smooth sailing, baby, smooth sailing. :biggrin:

I think you will be moved by Patrick's love letter at Worlds. Wonder if calica, undolaure and 4verchan are aware that Patrick has been writing love letters to you. :think:

MIM

Medalist
No I didn't make the observation about the SP quad entry - I believe that was either m0001 or MIM. (I actually tried to look that one up and I couldn't catch it myself.)

What I did notice about the Nat's MTK was the level of engagement that Patrick had with the judges. That was very noticeable to me he made eye contact with the judges numerous times and on one occasion he flicked his head at them. I loved that one! Patrick is such an introspective skater that I am pleased that he is making this effort. Imo it's not 100% authentic YET but it still adds a lot to the performance. :agree:

Another thing I noticed was the cut in the music during the spin near the end of the program (again mtk). Obviously they added more time to allow Patrick to not feel so rushed.

if you mean this one,:)
One thing I found; he left out one hop before the 4T-3T combo, compared to his SP at the SC. Maybe that one hop bothered his timing/count to the quad combo at the past competitions. ;)
Watch right after the drum beat for the change from
https://youtu.be/8VaZd4sE3nE?t=57 at the SC
https://youtu.be/0pL7OFo9jNw?t=37 at the TEB
https://youtu.be/QQsknRvR6rA?t=42 at the GPF
to
https://youtu.be/Wdx7EnSaHjI?t=32 at the Nationals

I like eye contact, too! Isn't he charming!? I think they were talking about it at the K&C, too. Kathy mentioned the part where he glided to the judges after 4T-3T and David also mentioned the finger snapping part. LOL!

MIM

Medalist
Thank you MIM for your review. I think there is a fatigue factor affecting both his technical and artistic outputs at the Nationals, particularly in the second half of the program. I schedule him to complete his new technical content at 4CC and get it all together at Worlds. :) Smooth sailing, baby, smooth sailing. :biggrin:
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Love your schedule for him!

I think you will be moved by Patrick's love letter at Worlds.
LOL! Of Course! I will, no matter what he delivers!

Oh, did you notice Patrick's LP costume has a little bit of glitter added? it is subtle, but I could see them in the HD video! :biggrin:

Last edited:

MIM

Medalist
:thank:

Also, thanks for the great GWTW review of Alaine and Polina. :bow: A post like that is worth the trek outside of Patrick's fan thread!

:party2:
YAY! thank you! I love Alaine and Polina's break-through last weekend. It was fun and worth reviewing in details. David Wilson is genius. With his works, he reassures time and time again why top skaters keep him close and work with him.