Penny Coomes & Nicholas Buckland | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Penny Coomes & Nicholas Buckland

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just thought it should be mentioned in this thread that it looks like Nick's younger brother, Joe, has decided to retire from skating. ...

Joe Buckland is NOT retiring, according to NISA's announcement yesterday. He is looking for a new partner:

Joe Buckland & Olivia Smart

Joe & Olivia have, after much thought, decided to end their partnership. They are both wishing to continue competitive skating and are looking for new partners.

http://www.iceskating.org.uk/index.cfm/news/joe-buckland-olivia-smart/

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Joe Buckland is NOT retiring, according to NISA's announcement yesterday. He is looking for a new partner:

Joe Buckland & Olivia Smart

Joe & Olivia have, after much thought, decided to end their partnership. They are both wishing to continue competitive skating and are looking for new partners.

http://www.iceskating.org.uk/index.cfm/news/joe-buckland-olivia-smart/

I've just replied to your comment in the dedicated thread.

Thank you again for the correction.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Just curious what your source is for that. I'm not saying it's a bad switch, but it is a curious one.

Sorry for the delay. I just saw your reply. :hopelessness:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...l-be-coached-by-shpilband.95601/#post-4520217
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...oached-by-shpilband.95601/page-2#post-4520287

I think that person is well informed, most probably an insider. Just to clarify though that Robin Cousins was appointed the high performance programme manager at NISA.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Sorry for the delay. I just saw your reply. :hopelessness:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...l-be-coached-by-shpilband.95601/#post-4520217
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...oached-by-shpilband.95601/page-2#post-4520287

I think that person is well informed, most probably an insider. Just to clarify though that Robin Cousins was appointed the high performance programme manager at NISA.

You mean you're not following my every utterance on here with bated breath??? Hmpf! ;)

Ah, well that makes sense. I'm not quite as enthusiastic about last year's choreography as The Other Board seems to be--they really strayed over the line into Pairs moves too often for my taste (and heaven knows I'm no purist!). Well it is a curious move but I hope it works out for them. Igor does do wonders with the technical aspect, and training with a top tier team can provide some real incentive.

Hope all is well with ye. :)

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I'm not quite as enthusiastic about last year's choreography as The Other Board seems to be--they really strayed over the line into Pairs moves too often for my taste (and heaven knows I'm no purist!). Well it is a curious move but I hope it works out for them. Igor does do wonders with the technical aspect, and training with a top tier team can provide some real incentive.
They have always been doing those pairs moves - that's just their style. And I don't think that we can blame Platov or Phillip Askew (who is their choreographer) - obviously they have simply found a style which works with C/B's height difference and not so outstanding skating skills. Chock/Bates also do some things that resemble pairs, but compared to Penny Coomes, even Madison Chock seems graceful despite her not ideal posture and toe-point. Penny's athletic look adds to her resembling a pairs skater.

Also, as their choreographer was Phillip Askew, not Platov himself, it is very likely that they will continue getting choreography from Askew.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
You mean you're not following my every utterance on here with bated breath??? Hmpf! ;)

Always!!!:love:

Ah, well that makes sense. I'm not quite as enthusiastic about last year's choreography as The Other Board seems to be--they really strayed over the line into Pairs moves too often for my taste (and heaven knows I'm no purist!).

I'm not that enthusiastic about their program in general because they do look like pairs indeed. Their last program would've been a great program for Pairs but I guess that's their limit and they try to make it up with nice program although it isn't dance. It looks like it worked for them though.

Well it is a curious move but I hope it works out for them. Igor does do wonders with the technical aspect, and training with a top tier team can provide some real incentive.

TBH I think Platov did a great job with them and they were his main couple, something which they do need. I doub't Igor will do much more for them in that aspect but he maybe able to prepare them better in terms of how to compete and also his reputation and politics might help. I'm certainly curious to see the results of this move.

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
Zlobina and Sotnikov from AZB come to mind :shrug: Just why take them away from Platov if they were on the verge of making a breakthrough with him? Sounds like the rus fed could be courting him to develop new talent. Could be wrong, but how do you do that to a coach like Platov !!!

tulosai

Record Breaker
Despite their relatively low score I really love their SP this year! I hope they will be able to pull up and medal in the free :cheer:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Despite their relatively low score I really love their SP this year! I hope they will be able to pull up and medal in the free :cheer:

Well, I wish them the same now at NHK :) Fight for it Penny & Nick :cheer:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Good luck to Penny and Nick at British Nationals!

NISA scheduling was slightly better this year, so Penny and Nick are actually able to compete this time - and hopefully they will regain their national title!

In the meantime, here are some photos I took of their short dance at TEB 2015 a few weeks ago...

Ekm

On the Ice
While they had some small issues I think this was the best they've performed so far this season. And Penny's new dress is lovely!

GF2445

Record Breaker
That was quite a nice short dance. Pity that they had to be the skaters to skate after the French because anyone who skates after these two (with the exception of a few teams) looks rough.

What I really appreciated about this New SD was how they skated together in dance holds for most of the SD. There were not long periods of open or hand in hand skating.
Some might say that because of that they are making themselves look weak in front of the judges, but I see improvement.

Also, they always win best dressed.