Perhaps retiring for MK? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Perhaps retiring for MK?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I wasn't going to comment again on this thread, but I had to respond to the "same old, same old" comment. It was Michelle that brought back many lovely moves, such as the Charlotte stop, that Sasha, BB Liang, and several others use. Her inside to outside spiral is now the standard that nearly all skaters try to duplicate, as is her layback spin with hands stretched down her back.......many have tried to duplicate her incredible split falling leaf jump, such as Sarah, but none have the extension or height of Michelle's.....and they all try to emote and connect with the audience the way Michelle first did when she won her first World championship skating as Salome.......sure, she has certain moves and skating patterns that work for her and she uses them to her advantage......ALL the elite skaters do........the only problem is, she's been at this over a decade........Michael Jordan coming back is sad?....Nope, he's timeless, just like Michelle...........42

preztobe

Rinkside
Yep

RealtorGal said:
Never really needed it until now??? She lost TWO Olympic gold medals because she didn't have it. She's needed it since 1998! Yes, she's won World titles, but we all know that she covets the OGM or she would not still be hanging in there.

:laugh: Yeppers....I'd say that arrogance might be the reason why it hasn't happened consistently yet.

mzheng

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
I forgot to add that while I don't see why she should retire, Mr. RG feels that she should, and he expresses this opinion each and every time he watches her on TV. I have no doubt that I will hear this statement at least twice during this evening's broadcast, not to mention the one from this afternoon that I taped for him while he was working. He will say "same old, same old" about her trademark movements and her programs and "What does she have to prove already? Another title, another medal. Big deal." He feels she is as predictable as I feel his comments about Michelle are!:laugh: :D

Lol. This was what my hubby said before 2002 as well. He used to Wowed extremly by Sasha, when NNN, SH, SC first hit the scene back in 1999? He was saying that and MK should retired after 2002. But recently during one of my repeated watching the tapes of FS, (btw, he never sit with me except the Nats. just have a glimps whenever he passed the rooms) he acknowledged that Sasha dose have a wow affect at beginning, after a few times you don't feel that much about it. But it was MK you can kept watching over and over it was like a vintage win.

jesslily

Final Flight
Retiring or not is these "older" lady skaters own business. They should make their own decision, other people just shut up. But if you do choose to stay in eligible, you have to work really hard, do not keep thinking what you have accomplished, think you just come on board, making first impression. Never say "defend tital", only say fight hard to get the tital. Every year the gold medal is set on a higher level. If you don't increase your difficulty, just keep at where you were last year, that tital sure belong to someone who works harder and is more talented than you.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Re: Yep

preztobe said:
:laugh: Yeppers....I'd say that arrogance might be the reason why it hasn't happened consistently yet.

I think it is very arrogante for you to make this statement. You don't konw a thing behind it.

preztobe

Rinkside
Re: Re: Yep

mzheng said:
I think it is very arrogante for you to make this statement. You don't konw a thing behind it.

It's not arrogant, but, she HAS consistently left her triple-triples out for a while...hasn't even attempted them...she doesn't feel the "need" to add them, because she's always won without them...that to me spells arrogance.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think that Michelle tried to have a life and stay competetive which until this week has worked. I don't think the lack of a 3/3 is what cost her the last two OGMs (although they certainly would have been a wonderful addition to her programs). I have never heard anyone accuse her of having a poor work ethic or of being arrogant before. I think that she realizes the need for the 3/3. Needing/wanting it and being able to train and perform it without injury is another thing though. She seems to be making the effort to improve her skating ( or maybe working with Scott and Raphael were just an excuse to be aroud good looking men, LOL) If there was not obvious growth from last year, couldn't it be attributed to the coaching change? Rgirl's past posts regarding Yags and Sasha's changes to Tarosova and the time needed for the adjustments to a coaching change would apply here also.

I think what she decides to do now will be very telling as to how competetive she chooses to be.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Re: Re: Re: Yep

preztobe said:
It's not arrogant, but, she HAS consistently left her triple-triples out for a while...hasn't even attempted them...she doesn't feel the "need" to add them, because she's always won without them...that to me spells arrogance.

How do you know she didn't worked hard to put them in her program? Must she work to have her body destroied then it is not arrogance in your dictionary?

Whatever, she should make decition on her own term. ITA with PatC:
Not unless she wants to. Her life, her body, her choice.

I'm just going to enjoy watching her skate for as long as she chooses to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

equestrianguy

On the Ice
RETIRE?????!!!! WHAT!!!????? I dont think sooo!!!! I just saw MK's LP and besides doubling the one last jump it was CLASSIC Kwan!!! Ok, so no 3/3!! BE DEAL!!!!! I don't watch skating for all of the BIG jumps.. I watch it for the artistry and enjoyment!!! MK is enjoying what she is doing!!!! Go for 2006, Michelle!!!!..Peace

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Time to move on into pros or something else.

''Pro'' skating is barely gasping it's way along. For someone who enjoys competition, it might not hold much appeal. The term ''pro'' is obsolete anyway. Michelle has a great many opportunities in eligible skating. She isn't missing out financially. Thanks in part to the ISU, ineligible skating doesn't really have much to offer her at this point.

Last edited:

Pati

On the Ice
Re: Re: Re: Yep

preztobe said:
...she doesn't feel the "need" to add them, because she's always won without them...that to me spells arrogance.

Sheesh, it spells intelligence to me, but what do I know...:rolleye:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I hope MK keeps skating as long as she wants and can keep ahead. I would guess that she is going to try and up the ante for the Olympics. As far as giving others a chance, all they have to do is beat her. She's not holding anyone back. If they can't do better it's their problem.

cianni

On the Ice
cianni

While were at it isnt this thread SAME OLD SAME OLD. Please give it a rest. All the skaters in the upper level are 23 or 24 Irina is 25 and some are older. Has the retirement age dropped from 65 to early 20s. now. Lets give it a long rest and focus on something else cause Im tired of posters doing the same old same old while they accuse Michelle of doing the same old same old.

R

RoselynBach

I think figure skating is probably the only sport I know of that when someone wins the Olympic gold medal they should retire or when they're not longer teenagers. Many football players still play football well into their 30s. Although I sometimes think Michelle should have retired, I still enjoy watching her skate. She has a lot of joy when she skates which I don't see in other skaters. But if she wants to remain competitive, she's got to improve her technical skills a lot and compete more. And she cannot rely on her past accomplishments to carry her forward anymore.

gezando

Final Flight
Somewhat off topic and on topic. I thought S&Z contemplated retirng and the Chinese federation did not allow them to because they want world berths, and if S&Z retire the young teams may not be good enough to guarantee 3 slots again for next year.

So if Michelle retires, assuming Cohen, Kirk and Corwin medal at national next year. How confident are you about lhese 2 to place well enough with a combine total that is worthy to generate 3 slots for worlds 2006?

If Kwan was not at worlds 2004 Cohen and Kirk together has a combine total of 2 + 18 = 20. Is that good enough to send 3 skaters to worlds in 2005?

Will someone please look up the rules and let us know?

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
Well I don't think much about Kirk and I don't think that she's going to worlds next year. Don't forget that there are lots of girls coming up in the US. If MK retires, I'm sure that one of these hot junior skaters or perhaps another skater like Ann Patrice or (I hope) NNN can return and do that spot justice. I think that any other American skater would have pulled a higher finish than Jenny Kirk. She was horrible.

heyang

Record Breaker
I just knew there would be a thread on if MK should retire.

She's the 2004 bronze medalist. She hasn't been off the podium since 1995. She's still got the skills, talent and desire to compete - let her do so in peace.

She came in 2nd during the free skate. If not for the technicality in the SP, she may have had Silver instead of Bronze. She had 1 bad skate out of 3 during this competition. Compare that to all the competitions where she's had excellent performances during qualifying, SP and LP - not many have that consistency at the level over such a long period of time. None of the other competitors have such a proven track record.

I have a feeling (like Rgirl's) that MK has more to show us. She's just biding her time and trying to save her body for the next 2 years.

I do agree that she's gotta do Grand Prix next year. COP will definitely change things and she's gotta experience that type of judging before Oly's.

BTW, I think if MK puts all the in-between stuff back in that she will do well in COP. After all, COP seems to reward good basic skills - not just the jumps.

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
soogar said:
Well I don't think much about Kirk and I don't think that she's going to worlds next year. Don't forget that there are lots of girls coming up in the US. If MK retires, I'm sure that one of these hot junior skaters or perhaps another skater like Ann Patrice or (I hope) NNN can return and do that spot justice. I think that any other American skater would have pulled a higher finish than Jenny Kirk. She was horrible.

Kirk was not horrible, it was her first world and she had a bad skate. Kirk beat Ann Patrice by a mile at nationals 2004, NNN did not even make it out of regionals to qualify for nationals 2004. BTW, I love NNN, and Ann patrice.

If you compare their records, Kirk competed against Ann Patrice at natioinals three times, and beat Ann Patrice 2 out of three. They were both junior worlds champions, it took Kirk one try and McDonough twice. Kirk was 4CC champion and Ann Patrice did not even medal at 4CC?

Last edited: