Philip Hersh: A painful sight: Hughes, Meissner after the fall(s) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Philip Hersh: A painful sight: Hughes, Meissner after the fall(s)

Kimmie Fan

On the Ice
Besides Mr. Hersh, is there another sports columnist that regularly covers figure skating?

Does ESPN, CNN/SI, or USAToday have a dedicated figure skating reporter?

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Phil Hersh

Well the truth hurts and old Phil does dish it out. Maybe we Americans should just face the fact that the U.S. ladies are not the best in the world any longer.

I don't think we should give up hope because as we all know surprises happen all the time in figure skating. Meissner, who in my opinion was never the best figure skater to start with, has really unraveled recently. Maybe she can get it back but she is running out of time. The U.S. has some real talent but the trouble is so does Japan, Korea, Canada and the list goes on.

Personally, I'm just going to enjoy Asada, Kim, Rochette, etc. They are fun and lovely to watch.

Dizzy

AdamFan

Rinkside
Christine Brennan used to cover skating all of the time. She has stopped attending many skating events. She wasn't present at Skate America last year and I don't believe she was there this year. Brennan used to cover Kwan, Cohen,etc extensively. Perhaps she will do so next year before the Olympics, but she seemed to give up on the sport after the 2006 Olympics. Brennan is disgusted by the new scoring system and doesn't believe the public cares about the sport anymore.

In her defense, it is her job to write a column about topics that people are interested in. It is curious to see her vacate the sport completely, but she may feel that she has exhausted the topic.

When I say her at the gymnastics event in Beijing, she did say to another reporter "Now it is time to turn to the real sport: figure skating."

She has yet to write an article on figure skating since she said that. It is very likely that she'll attend Worlds in LA. Perhaps her coverage will start around Nationals.

It was surprising that she didn't write about the retirements of Lambiel and Buttle--as well as the injury to Daisuke Takahashi.

Many of the sports columnists have turned their back on figure skating. They were disgusted with how the ISU handled the investigation into the 2002 scandal(s) and how they dealt with the World Skating Federation. After the retirements of Kwan, Slutskata and Cohen, they seemed to lose their personalities to write about.

If a major US star emerges, I'm sure she'll write about it.

It would've been actually interesting to hear Brennan's thoughts about Skate America and the direction of the sport. While I can guarantee that she wouldn't have anything nice to say, her columns would've been more insightful and less "I told Meissner's agent that she should switch to Callaghan."

Brennan likely would've had that gusto to state the truth: Meissner lucked into her World Title and has never been the top skater to begin with.

Brennan's list of columns is available here:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/index.htm

The last columns she wrote were about Nationals. She took the USFSA to task for not pushing for a change in the age limit.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/2008-01-24-young-skaters_N.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/2008-01-27-youngstars_N.htm

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why on earth shouldn't they skate to Schindler's List? Their generation bears no responsibility for what happened in Nazi Germany.

Isn't that the truth! I was about to post the exact same thing, but you beat me to the punch. :bow::agree:

Kat Witt also skated to Schindler's List as a professional in the mid 90's.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I have read Brennan on occasion, and came away less than impressed. She is clearly passionate about figure skating and cares about the sport and its success. But I don't like the way she writes about it.

Obviously, a journalist for a newspaper called USA Today will focus on American skaters. It's to be expected and that's fine. But there should be some acknowledgement of top skaters who are not Americans, which to me seems lacking in her columns. Focusing so much on the Americans creates an impression that US skaters should be dominant, and then casual fans are surprised when they're not, even if the results are perfectly legit. Also, Brennan certainly had a part in the hysterical coverage of the SLC pairs mess in the US media - and from an experienced journalist, I would have expected better. I don't think she stopped writing about figure skating because of CoP; it looks to me like the figure skating columns tapered off when Michelle Kwan retired.

Hersh can be overly negative, but he does make some good points. It's just a matter of finding them in his columns.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Gotta agree with those who say Hersh has a bit too much of a negative slant. I mean, what was the point of the column? If it were a recap of the Grand Prix series, the US has had some successes in the other skating disciplines that could have been mentioned. If it were a review of TEBC, or even just the US ladies at TEBC, then Zhang should have been mentioned. If he just wanted to say "US Ladies Figure Skating has lost its dominance" then he should have said so, but still, even with the ladies there are positives.

Most of us were all practically hurling ourselves on the Wagner, Flatt, Nagasu, and Zhang bandwagons last season. That was doubtless premature, but I also think it's premature to just as suddenly decide they're not what they were cracked up to be and bemoan our current state. Flatt I think still shows a great deal of promise. Zhang has technique problems but at least stood up on her programs last outing.

So, what, then WAS the point of his commentary? Frankly, he seemed to just want to pick on Emily and Kimmie -- especially Kimmie, since she hasn't competed in several weeks and he was really dredging up old news to even mention her.

Yes, we should be able to take criticism. And to some extent, any news is "good" news -- at least there's coverage. But Hersh has a negative slant to what he writes on figure skating.

AdamFan

Rinkside
I have read Brennan on occasion, and came away less than impressed. She is clearly passionate about figure skating and cares about the sport and its success. But I don't like the way she writes about it.

Obviously, a journalist for a newspaper called USA Today will focus on American skaters. It's to be expected and that's fine. But there should be some acknowledgement of top skaters who are not Americans, which to me seems lacking in her columns. Focusing so much on the Americans creates an impression that US skaters should be dominant, and then casual fans are surprised when they're not, even if the results are perfectly legit. Also, Brennan certainly had a part in the hysterical coverage of the SLC pairs mess in the US media - and from an experienced journalist, I would have expected better. I don't think she stopped writing about figure skating because of CoP; it looks to me like the figure skating columns tapered off when Michelle Kwan retired.

Hersh can be overly negative, but he does make some good points. It's just a matter of finding them in his columns.

Why would her coverage of the SLC pairs controversy be problematic? It was the first time that there was concrete evidence of a judging deal that took place. She did her research, spoke to judges and officials, and reported what went on. While some will argue that the Russians were better, the truth is that there was a deal in place to give them the gold medal and fix the outcome.

Yes, this had happened before. It doesn't make it right. She fulfilled her duty as a journalist.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I found the whole Christine yelling about the US not getting the age rule changed annoying. I mean it's not like the USFSA was all that helpful around 2006, when I'm sure Korea and Japan wanted the age rules changed.

Last edited:

Penny

On the Ice
I meant why would anyone, not just Germans, want to skate to Schindler's list. At least, cut the sequins if you're going to use it.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I meant why would anyone, not just Germans, want to skate to Schindler's list. At least, cut the sequins if you're going to use it.

I did not like the movie, either. I did not like the Hollywoodization of the Holocaust.

Sorry for being off topic.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I found the whole Christine yelling about the US not getting the age rule changed annoying. I mean it's not like the USFSA was all that helpful around 2006, when I'm sure Korea and Japan wanted the age rules changed.

IMO, the rule is fine the way it is.

AdamFan

Rinkside
The USFSA seems to not want to piss off Grandi. If enough of the power countries banded together, they could change the age limit.

I don't believe the USFSA would've voted against changing the age limit in 2006 had Japan and Korea proposed it.

heyang

Record Breaker
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kimmie usually does not skate that well before Nationals. She made the GP Finals once and was not close to the podium in the finals. Kimmie seems to get better as the season progresses.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
^^ I don't think so. Last season, her best performance was probably at Skate America. Things just kept going terribly downhill after that.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kimmie usually does not skate that well before Nationals. She made the GP Finals once and was not close to the podium in the finals. Kimmie seems to get better as the season progresses.

That's a good point. Last year, I believe, was the exception. I remember her not being very spectacular in the 2005 GP series. Same in 06. Who would have guessed she'd be the world champ that year?

I never thought about that. I think most of us have been too caught up in her abnormal season last year when talking about her future.

That said, her scores really don't seem to be very spectacular even when she is relatively clean. (see worlds 08 sp)

AdamFan

Rinkside
What surprises me about reporters and fans re: Kimmie is that she is someone who never really won many competitions as a senior. She didn't even medal that many times at GPs. Meissner is a consistent, decent skater who despite an awkwardness and lack of maturity on the ice, hit the program of her life at the right time and lucked into a world title. The cards all fell in place. She went back to performing like usual the next year, although she had a bit more maturity on the ice. Kimmie was doing okay until she hit puberty and a growth spurt after Skate America.

In some ways, the way that everyone has handled it may have rattled Kimmie's confidence. Her fall from greatness was noticeable, but not as dramatic as Sarah Hughes' at the 2003 Worlds.

It was obvious that Meissner was growing and developing. She started getting curves and a ghetto booty. She was no longer able to muscle any of her jumps and she needed to rework her timing. Had they just stated the obvious, it may have prevented the thousands of interviews and articles about her dark dark season and all that went wrong. Puberty is much less dramatic.

Skate America was the first time I really worried that Kimmie was in serious trouble. She had gotten her jumps back and was practicing extremely well. The SP seemed like a fluke mistake and she likely was going to shake it off. The mistakes in the LP seemed to be related to whatever mind game she has developed about not being able to skate under pressure anymore.

Luckily, it doesn't look like Kimmie will grow much more. If she can get comfortable with her body and get her confidence back, she'll be back in the game (somewhat).

Lissy

Medalist
My opinion as a HUGE Kimmie fan. To be totally honest, I knew that Kimmie was going to BOMB Skate America. In fact, I thought she would do worse. This is not because I do not have the faith in her at all though. My reason is, she is started a season totally different than one she has ever had. For the first time, she is being looked at to fail rather than to succeed. She has a new coach and has totally changed her life. I knew that her confidence would be terrible at the first competition. She hasn't been working with her coaches for long and as much as she does like having them as coaches, she was used to Pam. I am glad that she did leave Pam because her coaches have worked WONDERS for her. I know that she viewed/views Pam as a very good friend. For Kimmie to start the season without that friend for the first time in almost 6 years, that's a huge deal. It's almost like skating is starting over for Kimmie and she just needs to get used to that. Her skating overall at Skate America was amazing. She is so beautiful to watch and it's so weird watching videos of her from even last year because there is such a transformation. She needed this competiton to prove that she hasn't given up. She wasn't going to make a big comback right away. She needs to ease into things because that is Kimmie's nature. I think she really needed to compete to prove to herself that she shouldn't give up and even if she does terrible, people really love her and want her to succeed. I think Kimmie will be fine. I hope that she can pull it together to win some more competitions. Her overall skating is SOOO much better and once she gets those jumps back, I cannot wait to see her score shoot up. Just give it time. She has confidence issues and family issues.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Why would her coverage of the SLC pairs controversy be problematic? It was the first time that there was concrete evidence of a judging deal that took place. She did her research, spoke to judges and officials, and reported what went on. While some will argue that the Russians were better, the truth is that there was a deal in place to give them the gold medal and fix the outcome.

Yes, this had happened before. It doesn't make it right. She fulfilled her duty as a journalist.
I've no problem with anyone reporting about M. La Gougne's (sp.?) conduct. But Brennan was going on about being ashamed of the result, being unable to defend figure skating "any longer" and demanding to nullify the result before there was any evidence of wrongdoing. In reacting like that, she was not doing her job as a journalist; she was being hysterical and, IMO, unprofessional. Would the reaction have been the same if the Russians were perceived to have skated better? Probably not.

It's pretty funny to me that those in the US media who by their hysterical reaction to SLC did more to bring about CoP than anyone else (save Speedy) are now the ones doing the most complaining.

bekalc said:
Oh, I agree. You'd think it was the first time a young skater had been unable to compete. And it's not like this rule was directed at the American ladies; as others have noted, Asada and Kim suffered from it during an Olympic season. Personally, I don't want really young skaters at international competitions.

Last edited:

frozenhell

Rinkside
It's pretty funny to me that those in the US media who by their hysterical reaction to SLC did more to bring about CoP than anyone else (save Speedy) are now the ones doing the most complaining.

Same thing happened to Boxing when Roy Jones lost to a korean boxer in 88 olympics. At least there was no question that Jones was robbed, so amateur boxing brought new scoring systme. Ironically after adopting new scoring system, US is having hard time to earn a boxing medal and US media is complaining how much new scoring system sucks.
As for Brennan, She probably doesn't have more knowledge than any casual fans. Mao made many glaring mistakes in LP meanwhile Caroline Zhang didn't make any visual mistake in LP last week but Mao still got more score than Zhang.
Brennan would have called the result bloody injustice if she was there because she doesn't know much better than casual fans who don't know difference between lutz and axel.

Last edited: