Philip Hersh I told you so article | Golden Skate

Philip Hersh I told you so article

bekalc

Record Breaker
Zhang wouldn't even be going for the triple lutz if it wasn't required in juniors....

It's one bad competition. But it does symbolize why Rachael Flatt earned her spot. But still if I had to bet on Caroline going clean or Alissa going clean, I'll bet on Caroline.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Zhang wouldn't even be going for the triple lutz if it wasn't required in juniors....

It's one bad competition. But it does symbolize why Rachael Flatt earned her spot. But still if I had to bet on Caroline going clean or Alissa going clean, I'll bet on Caroline.

I know because she has been doing the triple loop all season long when she was competing in seniors.

I don't know why she can do the triple loop in juniors as well?

bekalc

Record Breaker
I know because she has been doing the triple loop all season long when she was competing in seniors.

I don't know why she can do the triple loop in juniors as well?

Because a double or triple lutz out of footwork is required for juniors...

Hirsh should be sad, not gleeful, that Caroline did not skate up to her potential in the short program.

What we care about are the skaters, not how clever the self-congratulatory columnist is.

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know what though, he raises good points. For one, I don't think it really would matter that much WHO went to LA, we'd have little if any shot at 3 spots anyway.

IMHO, I think he should have waited until the END of the competition to write the article, though, because what if she puts down a solid FS? It's not all over yet. Anyone can have a bad comp at any time. One just has to hope it won't be at the Big Event.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Some American skater needs to medal at Worlds. Preferably in singles, in ladies if miracles exist, but if that's too much to ask for either Tanith and Ben or Meryl and Charlie must pull it off, because if someone does not, this man's gloating shall be unbearable.

feraina

Record Breaker
What is wrong with this guy? He's more pleased about proven right than about skating or the skaters. Why is he always out there to show off how right he is -- and he often is not. Oh, and Phil forgot to mention that CoP rules have changed significantly since Caroline's JGP year, when UR's and edges weren't penalized the same way. So that may partly explain why her SP scores from that year, despite the lower PCS, were higher than they are this year.

I hope Caroline comes back with a really strong LP tomorrow, and really make him eat his words. I certainly don't think it's beyond her ability to win a medal. And she might even win the FS. She has a stronger record with her LP than either Elene or Ashley with theirs.

But she did score very poorly in her SP, this really was especially bad for her. I hope she's not suffering from competition/travel fatigue? She was at National's, and then 4CC, and not long after, JW. Plus the two GP's she had this year, it's been a lot of competitions for her. in a relatively short time. And hopefully it's not her growth spurt finally catching up to her. She really seemed to be getting better and better all season, and now this...

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
I do agree with this part though :

"I also came away from nationals with the feeling that a healthy Mirai Nagasu, who staggered into fifth on a bad foot, has the most potential for a high Olympic finish among the current group of U.S. competitors.

Nagasu, the 2008 U.S. champion, has the ```look-at-me’’ quality, the ``it’’ factor, lacking in the others."

That's a stupid rule......I feel so bad for Caroline

I don't think it's a stupid rule for actual juniors. They rotate the required jump in the junior SP each year to make sure that developing youngsters learn all the jumps.

(Of course it may be unfair to expect seniors to do a double or triple Lutz. :) ))

ks777

Record Breaker
I do agree with this part though :

"I also came away from nationals with the feeling that a healthy Mirai Nagasu, who staggered into fifth on a bad foot, has the most potential for a high Olympic finish among the current group of U.S. competitors.

Nagasu, the 2008 U.S. champion, has the ```look-at-me’’ quality, the ``it’’ factor, lacking in the others."

Yep, me too!

I hope Mirai will be healthy next season!!

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
....What we care about are the skaters, not how clever the self-congratulatory columnist is.

Amen, Mathman. I wanted to thank you much earlier on other threads for saying very concisely what I thought, also, on another subject. You definitely have a gift for hitting the nail on the head. Thanks :)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Poor Caroline. I think this ties in with the other thread about how dissipointed she was about nationals. Caroline has really no motivation for Junior Worlds. She has been there, done that, winning once and placing second last year. I am frankly very surprised she did not withdraw.
Caroline seems like an emotional skater, and probably has not gotten over missing out on worlds in her hometown to travel half-way across the world to a event nobody cares about, that she has done twice.

on another note, i don't have anything against the rule that saya you have to do a lutz in the SP as your solo jumps. If you can't do a lutz, you should not be a senior.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Poor Caroline. I think this ties in with the other thread about how dissipointed she was about nationals. Caroline has really no motivation for Junior Worlds. She has been there, done that, winning once and placing second last year. I am frankly very surprised she did not withdraw.
Caroline seems like an emotional skater, and probably has not gotten over missing out on worlds in her hometown to travel half-way across the world to a event nobody cares about, that she has done twice.

on another note, i don't have anything against the rule that saya you have to do a lutz in the SP as your solo jumps. If you can't do a lutz, you should not be a senior.

As I and others have said, she should have declined to go.

Hersh has a sadistic streak. I hope he runs into a Zamboni driver with road rage.