Plushenko and Europeans | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Plushenko and Europeans

seniorita

Record Breaker
Buttercup I didnt claim sales will go up since Plushenko appears anywhere, the answer to this is I dont know what he could do to Euros tickets and there is no way I could possibly guess or know.

I dont read russian either but with google translate article translates clear. So far articles reproduce what has been reported in media, the last day of competition when RF applied for Plushenko or whatever.

the main paragraph says
..."Yesterday, as soon as we returned from Saransk, with the championship of Russia , was prepared by treatment of ISU to allow Plushenko to take part in the European Championships - told Gorshkov told "F-Sport" on the phone. - President ISU Ottavio Chinkvanta reported that the Board of ISU responded positively to our request. "...

Since i ve seen a tone of articles the last couple of days, i think until ISU posts sth in its page nothing has been decided.
Concidering the injury, I had lost track the automn about Plush surgery/injury but I know he was reinjured after summer because he went on the ice earlier and he cancelled Japan open and Carnival on ice because of it.

I m guessing that if ISU does this, it would do it for any top skater who didnt have B event to compete. I believe RF would apply the same request for V/T if there was no Mont Blanc possibility last March, and personally it would be shame not to see them last year at worlds.

Last edited:
I'm guessing they go by some rule we are not aware of,...

No doubt. ;) They probably also have a rule that says, "The ISU Council retains the right to rescind and/or grant exceptions to any rule in cases where said rule, in the judgement of the ISU President and Council, works to the disadvantage, financial or otherwise, of the International Skating Union and its Members."

At least, if I were writing the constitution and by-laws, I would stick that in. :yes:

seniorita

Record Breaker
The ISU Council retains the right to rescind and/or grant exceptions to any rule...
:laugh:Doesnt this rule exists already?:biggrin:
Deep inside I have the impression that ISU and PLu have a secret contract to make a soap opera in the future. Imagine, the poor background boy that fought to the top that became ISU favorite in 2006,but then became a bad kid with big mouth that Ciquanta was not so flattering about in 2010 Olys, the disqualification and then reistatement and now forgiving ISU make him favors, really I think it would be more catchy than The Young and the Restless.:cool:

DianaSelene

Medalist
Can Vasho1 or someone who is Russian translate this article? Thanks.

This is not exact but I'll give it a try.

"9-time Russian champion Evgeny Plushenko can take part in the 2012 European championships says Alexander Gorshkov, president of the Russian figure skating federation. The 2006 olympic champion has only skated in Russian nationals this year and does not have enough points from international competitions to go to European championships. The federation sent a letter to ISU asking it to let him go to the championship. Gorshkov says, 'Today, I got a message from Cinquanta who said that ISU is allowing him to compete at Euros. Plushenko is an exception. The reason there is a new rule this year about minimum points is to filter out weak skaters so that they don't go to euros and worlds. They do that so that there is a higher level of skating at these events. However, Plushenko is obviously not a weak skater.' "

I left out some unimportant parts.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I think it is a pity that there is such a rule, but since there is, it should apply to every skater. Otherwise it has no sense to have rules, if exceptions are being allowed.

I have no problem with making exceptions to the legendary skater like Plushenko. Applying to every skater is no brainer and doctrinism.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Make sense. Rules, like taxes, are for the little people. :)
LOL.! Riches pay way more taxes than "little people" who you are talking here about. Plush already contributed in FS more than any "little skater" for whom the said rule was originally created. That would be really embarrasing, if not to say stupid, if ISU came up with the resolution "that guy doesn't go". That would be fun indeed. Now- things are normal.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
As far as I can see, the only source confirming that the ISU has granted an exemption is not the actual ISU (I bet they're all on vacation ;)). There may not be any official decision yet. I'm not sure what's the right thing to do here. I think there needs to be an exemption for some cases (for instance, if Laura Lepisto were to return, I don't think she should have to go through this qualifying score stuff, either). But since there is no exemption in the rules as written, I'm kind of uncomfortable with applying the requirements selectively. Maybe the best solution is for Plushy to take a break, get the medical treatment he needs, do a senior B in February and skate at Worlds - or even wait until next season, if he needs a longer rehab period.

Buttercup I didnt claim sales will go up since Plushenko appears anywhere, the answer to this is I dont know what he could do to Euros tickets and there is no way I could possibly guess or know.
I know that :) I was just explaining my Skate America comparison...

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Maybe he wants to have an international score and get something among SB so as to have grand prix assignement next season, cause I thought the comeback Olympic medalist right etc can be used only once.

But as I said if V/T didnt have a B event to go either, I would want them to compete at Worlds with exception, and I believe people who mostly were thrilled to see them together at last wouldnt mind the rules.
But I m not a rules are rules person anyway, I have asked for exception at University when I couldnt do anything else and there was no written exception. I believe people should evaluate circumstances and be flexible.
I dont know what should be done either, I find the rule stupid anyway but if he goes to Euros he ruins my initial intention to root for Fernandez to win:laugh:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Maybe he wants to have an international score and get something among SB so as to have grand prix assignement next season, cause I thought the comeback Olympic medalist right etc can be used only once.

But as I said if V/T didnt have a B event to go either, I would want them to compete at Worlds with exception, and I believe people who mostly were thrilled to see them together at last wouldnt mind the rules.
But I m not a rules are rules person anyway, I have asked for exception at University when I couldnt do anything else and there was no written exception. I believe people should evaluate circumstances and be flexible.
I don't know what should be done either, I find the rule stupid anyway but if he goes to Euros he ruins my initial intention to root for Fernandez to win:laugh:
There were two events in the two weeks before Russian Nats - Golden Spin and the Istanbul Cup - that probably could have been used as qualifiers. So maybe Plushenko's team really was unaware of the requirement; after all, it's not something that comes up often. OTOH, if they were aware and chose to ignore the rules - well, even if they're stupid rules, skaters don't get to pick and choose which rules they follow and which ones they don't (though if Plushy wants to do a Surya-like backflip at some point, I for one will be very amused and will applaud the effort!). As I said, I don't find the rule in itself stupid, but I think it needs some fine-tuning with exceptions written into it for skaters who have proven in the (recent) past to be at a high level - say, medalists from ISU Championships in the past 4 years (such a theoretical clause this season would allow skaters like Evan Lysacek, Laura Lepisto, Joannie Rochette and Johnny Weir to bypass the minimum score rule).

Would being on the season's best list really be something Plushenko would care about? If he wants to do Rostel, he can get a host pick anyway, and he didn't show much interest in doing other GPs in the recent past.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think he cant get a grand prix again as past Oly champion without Sb or any ranking, as he and sasha did in 2010 , even for a host pick because you can use the olympic status comeback once. I m not 100% sure about it but I think he wouldnt be able to.

Eislausfan talked to team Mishin about it before RN and she said that Mishin seemed not to have thought about it or not knowing it sth, which seems weird to me since he has other athletes as well.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Plushenko does have a World Ranking (#47) but no SB score. However, he does not need either one for a host pick. Elladj Balde did not meet the minimum score requirement at his one pre-GP competition but he still was able to skate at SC.

Plushenko has never wanted more than one GP event so just doing CoR is fine with him. That will give him a SB score for Euros and Worlds 2013.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Fernandez is the most scary opponent to Plushenko if it is 100% confirmed beyond a doubt that Plushenko is going.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Fernandez does two quads: a 4T and a 4S, as well as two 3As, a 3z, and two 3Fs. His TES at the GPF beats Plushenko's TES at Russian Nationals: 84.89 to 77.77. And I doubt Plushy is going to get all 9s in PCS as he did at home.

IMO Javier let expectations get to him a bit at the GPF and his skating was a little sloppy. Euros (where he is the overwhelming favorite) may be even more of a pressure cooker for him.

ciocio

On the Ice
I´m happy Plush will have fierce opponents at Euros (Javi, Artur), I think he´s really excited about it, as I am!!!:love: Plush, stay healthy, please!!!!!!:thumbsup:

glam

On the Ice
IMO Javier let expectations get to him a bit at the GPF and his skating was a little sloppy. Euros (where he is the overwhelming favorite) may be even more of a pressure cooker for him.

Yeah, Euros will be the first international competition where Javier skates as a favorite. So we'll see how he handles the pressure!