Plushenko's surgery will be filmed, not aired | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Plushenko's surgery will be filmed, not aired

yaya124

On the Ice
What is bizarre about whole business is that Plush's surgery was announced days ago and nobody seems to care about it enough to create a post (here at 'edge' at least). When it would cause some mocking, suddenly it is important enough to make a post here.

Last time when he withdrew from EC2013 and had the surgery, here there were also some people thought that was all for PR and believed that eurosport commentator's comments on Plushenko faking the surgery. So I guess it is necessary to have some solid proof at hand just in case some people like that who are also important enough will cause fuss in the media.

bebevia

On the Ice
So I guess it is necessary to have some solid proof at hand just in case some people like that who are also important enough will cause fuss in the media.
- Most people believed he had a real surgery.
- However, he actually established himself knowingly as an eclectic one. (Remember Sex Bomb, the most renowned achievement in his career?) This is also part of why we LOVE him, the legendary drama king.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
He seems to start to have a serious mental condition.
I'm a surgeon myself.
It is a sick action from a patient.

You are such a devoted hater..You never had a nice word about him thus this is completely disbelieving and liar what you wrote .. I think you need to write about your favorite's -Yagudin- repulsive things.. these are really sick ..

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Last time when he withdrew from EC2013 and had the surgery, here there were also some people thought that was all for PR and believed that eurosport commentator's comments on Plushenko faking the surgery. So I guess it is necessary to have some solid proof at hand just in case some people like that who are also important enough will cause fuss in the media.

Oh yes!! Canadianskaterguy..do you remember???

Memelah711

Rinkside
I hope his surgery is successful!

Even though it's being recorded (not shown live), you don't have to watch it! It seems like an interesting thing to watch, I think I'm a bit too squeamish to watch.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Oh yes!! Canadianskaterguy..do you remember???

You don't need to film a surgery to have proof. It seems he's pretty desperate to convince people that he wasn't playing up his injury in the individual SP, probably because of all the backlash (no pun intended) he has received.

Interesting how his surgery will be filmed and open to the public to legitimize his injury, however his test skate and any footage (if any was taken) won't be shown to the public to legitimize Plushenko's naming to the Russian team. THAT would have been the film we all wanted to see, not a skater getting surgery when we already know he has back problems. :rolleye:

aschiutza

On the Ice
Well Mishin and him wanted to be the test skate to be public but they were refused by the federation. So if you want to blame someone, go there for it.

After all, he showed in the team competition that he was ready and well prepared to compete, so why would be the test skate now so important?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well Mishin and him wanted to be the test skate to be public but they were refused by the federation. So if you want to blame someone, go there for it.

After all, he showed in the team competition that he was ready and well prepared to compete, so why would be the test skate now so important?

It's the principle of the Russian federation being transparent, at minimum to Kovtun and his fans so that they can legitimately see what Plushenko did or didn't do. Regardless, Plushenko should have skated in a competitive environment, being Euros.

While Plushenko showed he was ready in the team competition and skated well, there's nothing to say that Kovtun/Voronov couldn't have produced a solid SP, and an LP that would have been enough for a team gold. Yes, Kovtun did poorly at Euros, but Plushenko also did poorly in his FS at Russian Nationals and SP at Volvo Cup. Even in his FS at the Olympics he did only 2 combos and doubled two triples (but was obviously held up over Reynolds/Machida via presentation scores... his FS would have placed 5th in the individual competition, well behind Hanyu/Chan).

aschiutza

On the Ice
Yes, but Kovtun had a 17 place in his history and Plushenko had 3 olympic medals, there world titles and loads of european medals. For him was much more seldom that he implodes when it counts, and he delivered it.

In team competition it happens all the time that the reliable sportler are taken and not the "new" comer, even when they are sometimes more fit. Team competition means a lot of tactics, like the american poor tactic showed. An imploded Kovtun could have been 2 points in short and 7 points in free (i think that the italian guy was so worse that even an imploding skater could take him). This are 9 points, the candaians would have got 2 points more . There would have been gold for Canada. Count on also the pressure the other russian skaters would have got, which some wouldn't took well and may be loss some points as well... In a team you need an old skater, who is reliableand calm the youngster.

Kovtun may be a good skater, but he have to work on consistency, other way he will end on the big list of the promising russian male skaters, like Griazev and Klimkin, who underperformed and remained only in the notes of the FS history. Olympics, especially a team competition is not the time to test if someone is reliable.

And think the backslash he would have got a la Jeremy! It is better for him to grow first and then to go to olympics and show something great.

Plusehnko did a great job in the teams, mission acomplished! I see not need to discuss further why and who. This is for Russain federation to decide. Kovtun knew that he have to delivered at Europs, it was up to him. He got already a present a year before as a 5th in russian championship to go to the worlds, isn't it?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes, but Kovtun had a 17 place in his history and Plushenko had 3 olympic medals, there world titles and loads of european medals. For him was much more seldom that he implodes when it counts, and he delivered it.

Again. Competitive history, while it shows past mental fortitude, does not indicate future success. You're only as good as your last skate. Asada had one of her worst SPs ever, even though many were betting on her World titles, Olympic silver, and GPF win (from this season mind you), to carry her to the podium if not win.

Kovtun knew he had to deliver at Euros, but I can guarantee you it would not have made a difference, even if he managed to beat Javier (which would have been insanely difficult, even for Plushenko). Of course, Kovtun made the decision easier, but let's not pretend that the primary factor deciding the Russian man was ever fairness, and Kovtun's worthiness/consistency/performances could even hold a candle to Plushenko's popularity/talkability. We saw the crowds - Plushenko drew them in as fast as they filed out when he quit. Kovtun would not have been nearly as popular or newsworthy, so the obvious call (regardless of how well or poorly Kovtun performed at Euros) was to send Plushenko. Plushenko was allowed to SKIP Euros... that in itself should be sufficient evidence that the Russian fed wasn't ever going to give Kovtun a fair assessment (or Voronov for that matter).

anyanka

Record Breaker
He didn't skate in the men's event and all people could talk about was him. Heck, we are *still* talking about him! Wanna bet in 2018 he will still be a major topic of discussion?

Love him or hate him, Plushy is a bona fide one-of-a-kind superstar. They just don't make stars the way they used to. All those reality show "stars" take a back seat and learn from the master, Zhenya!

moviechick

On the Ice
Yeah, NBC literally could not stop name-dropping him even after he was done. He came up during the ladies competition too (lol and apparently Johnny gave Terry a death glare when he brought up his withdraw). Michelle Kwan even said his Team Event performance was her highlight of the Olympics and random sports analysis dudes who probably have no idea what figure skating is mentioned him on Bob Costas.

ragsy

Rinkside
I suggest reading the whole thread.

EDIT:

Thank you to the mod to corrected the malicious false thread title.

As the originator of the thread, yes, thank you to the mod for changing the title. However, the original title was never intended to be malicious. I relied on the information contained in an article published by CBS News, ordinarily a thoroughly reputable news organization. Perhaps I should have done a little more research before posting the article at all, but I did state that there was a history of some questioning Plushenko's previous surgeries and that he was probably just trying to ensure that that didn't happen again.

aschiutza

On the Ice
, but I can guarantee you

Really? Can you?
This is only a supposition made out of tin air.

If they were not so ready to send Kovtun, why they took the trouble to send him past year to worlds? They hoped big time that here comes a quick next star. Sadly, he needs more time to grow up.

For the rest, blame the russian Federation if you want to blame for it and not Plushenko.Kovtun had as well his chances given by Federation and not only by his results when he was sent to the worlds, sometimes it works for you, sometimes against you.

He worked hard, he won fair his gold medal and supported the team as he should.

Could Kovtun made better? Nope.

And i don't understand the logic "Competitive history, while it shows past mental fortitude, does not indicate future success". By this logic a 1 place at the russian championship doesn't indicate either a future success....

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
You don't need to film a surgery to have proof. It seems he's pretty desperate to convince people that he wasn't playing up his injury in the individual SP, probably because of all the backlash (no pun intended) he has received.

Interesting how his surgery will be filmed and open to the public to legitimize his injury, however his test skate and any footage (if any was taken) won't be shown to the public to legitimize Plushenko's naming to the Russian team. THAT would have been the film we all wanted to see, not a skater getting surgery when we already know he has back problems. :rolleye:

I believe these opinions are important for you: Kur tBrowning's intervew for the russian TV on Plushenko from 3:55" https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=728940563794019&set=vb.658290520859024&type=2&theater

google translating

Sacha Cohen : Plushenko - this gift to the world of figure skating
American figure skater Sasha Cohen , who won silver at the Olympics in Turin , regretted the injury Russians Evgeni Plushenko . Two-time Olympic champion because of a back injury starred with personal tournament at the Games in Sochi.
"We developed a terrific Plushenko career, he is a true gift skating . He has won four Olympic medals and inspired many athletes and people . Always hard to watch , as a colleague struggling with injuries ," - wrote Cohen in " tweet ."

Chan:
- Plushenko earned the right to this unique holiday. He did his job well in the command start. Plushenko without Russia would be difficult to create such a significant lead over the competition. He played a major role in your victory.
For me it was a great honor to speak with Plushenko on the same ice. Now I want to wish him good health ..
Plushenko changed figure skating, raised it to a new level. I will say more : he is a legend of figure skating ..
Plushenko is to be commended . Remember how great the audience supported him during his speech . How love him ..

Jeremy Abbott
American figure skater Jeremy Abbott expressed respect Evgeni Plushenko, who withdrew from the tournament singles at the Olympics in Sochi because of a back injury.

28-year-old Plushenko Abbott thanked for his contribution to the sport.

- Behind him four Olympic Games and four Olympic medals - leads Olympic news service words Abbott. - It says a lot about his career. Thank Evgeni Plushenko for his contribution to the sport. It is a pity that he did not perform in competitions. Nevertheless, it remains the best in the business.

and look at this!!! Hanyu :biggrin::laugh:;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7W9PDluwZ8

If I know well Kwan also had closed test skating..but that isn't problem here.. Plushy asked the Russian Federation shows the test skate's video..I don't know what will be the decision, but I'm also waiting it..

that is interesting Yagudin was the first among those who said Plushy's withrawal was fake and he said it to the public in news, in Tv show...:mad:

and

seniorita

Record Breaker
his FS would have placed 5th in the individual competition, well behind Hanyu/Chan).
Oh ok, going by "would haves" his total score would have won him bronze in the individual competition:biggrin:, that was also the talk in arena after FS.

Lipnitskaya, I/K. S/K and V/T have publicly stated and thanked him that he was the one who glued them all and pushed them to gold. When his team give him the props for their medal I dont think anything else can be said.

moviechick

On the Ice
After that hot mess of a men's event, I think a lot of people just appreciated that someone actually could hold it together instead of displaying performance anxiety like all those young guys.