Post tryout: Brubaker will sit out season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Post tryout: Brubaker will sit out season

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I think Amanda will not fit Rockne physically. I think he needs a tiny partner because he's so short. I've always thought Amanda looked "heavy" on the ice. And I don't mean heavy fat, just kind of not light on her skates. I don't see this pair at all.

Well, according to Wikipedia, Amanda is 5'0". That's a couple inches taller than Mary Beth at 4'9 1/2", but still short. Rockne is listed as 5'9". I think it's possible it could work, depending on their relative weight and physical strength as partners.

I have to disagree about Amanda looking "heavy" on the ice. That's never been my impression. I agree she's not particularly quick on her feet, but I think of her as a lyrical, flowing, delicate skater. I think she has a nice look on the ice. Although I always felt both she and Mark needed more attack and definition and crispness in their skating.

emma

Record Breaker
bump...just wondering if any news has surfaced in the twitter/facebook universe about the this tryout.

Well, according to Wikipedia, Amanda is 5'0". That's a couple inches taller than Mary Beth at 4'9 1/2", but still short. Rockne is listed as 5'9". I think it's possible it could work, depending on their relative weight and physical strength as partners.

I have to disagree about Amanda looking "heavy" on the ice. That's never been my impression. I agree she's not particularly quick on her feet, but I think of her as a lyrical, flowing, delicate skater. I think she has a nice look on the ice. Although I always felt both she and Mark needed more attack and definition and crispness in their skating.

I just know that the lifts that Evora and Ladwig achieved were like no one else's. Despite jump inconsistency, I just loved watching their fluid movement. I just hope Brubaker can partner Amanda to bring this quality out.

Arianne

On the Ice
Well the tryout was supposed to finish today, so maybe we'll hear something soon. I wonder if BeBe is still being considered? Did she ever get a tryout?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I asked Phil H on twitter, but he's focussed on the Armstrong drama, so I'm not expecting a reply... (though you "insult" his articles on twitter and he's quick to respond. :laugh: )

Arianne

On the Ice
Any news? BeBe tweeted something to the effect of being upset and I'm assuming that means she won't be skating with Rockne.

Any news? BeBe tweeted something to the effect of being upset and I'm assuming that means she won't be skating with Rockne.

I must have slept through this. BeBe Liang? Was she intending to skate pairs? That's interesting. Tell us more.

emma

Record Breaker
^I don't have any links, but they are talking about this on FSU. Basically, Bebe had some tweets that made it seem like she was doing some pairs work with someone local and although they were cryptic, made it seem like maybe a try-out; apparently her latest tweets make it seem like it didn't work out. I don't follow twitter so I don't really know. I am impatiently awaiting some news, though :(

herios

Medalist
I asked Phil H on twitter, but he's focussed on the Armstrong drama, so I'm not expecting a reply... (though you "insult" his articles on twitter and he's quick to respond. :laugh: )

Hersh twitted today"Brubaker said tryout with Evora went well. Possible pairs partnership depends on logistical issues, since they live on opposite coasts "

lcd

Match Penalty
Hope the right decisions are benig made in the right way. I would only wish the best for BOTH Rockne and Amanda. This September 1st deadline is a KILLER. Ridiculous and one for which under the circumstances, I would think USFS should give Rockne an extension waiver. You know, they let former World ranked skaters carry over some of their point clout for Grand Prix spots with new partners? I say former National Champions/medalists should be given some timing flexibility in order to make the best decision for themselves. It can only serve the sport better if "reasonable" flexibility is exercised under situations like this. Get real. Isn't being a pair skater in the US tough enough!?!?!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
wow. interesting. Personally i'm surprised she didn't try pairs sooner. She's very petite, has nice flexibility and is consistent with the easier triples. the flip and the lutz were her nemeses. I thought Bebe was in college full time and teaching now.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Brubaker will sit out season - not pairing with Evora, per Phil Hersh

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil
Rockne Brubaker just told me he and Amanda Evora will not be a pairs team. "Neither of us can move," he said. Brubaker will sit out season
1:10 PM - 1 Sep 12​

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil
Rockne Brubaker just told me he and Amanda Evora will not be a pairs team. "Neither of us can move," he said. Brubaker will sit out season
1:10 PM - 1 Sep 12​

Sorry to hear this--I had hoped it would work out. Too bad for Rockne. :-(

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Following up on his tweet, Phil Hersh has posted a full article:

Pairs skater Brubaker will sit out season
11th-hour attempt to find new partner falls through
Globetrotting by Philip Hersh
3:39 p.m. CDT, September 1, 2012
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...will-sit-out-season-20120901,0,7031884.column

ETA:

As Hersh's tweet indicated, neither Brubaker not Evora is able to relocate. A partnership would have been a logistical impossibility.

Regarding Marley:
"We had made great strides in the two months after worlds, but as we started getting ready for the season, it was apparent Mary Beth was struggling with the pressure and the work load," Brubaker said. "There were times when she wasn't happy.
"Even so, I was still surprised when she decided to stop. We were trying to work through things."​

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks for updating us. I'm sorry it didn't work out. I really hope Mary Beth is doing ok - no, hope she is great and happy with what she is doing now! the 'we were trying to work things through' part left me feeling concerned.

So this might be a really dumb question, but if neither Brubaker nor Evora could move, why would you try out in the first place? Is it one of those: well if we are so incredibly matched we will move, but if we are just ok or just good we can't move and then you say the reason was we couldn't move instead of we weren't spectacular together? It seems like those moving cards would be on the table before a try-out, no?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Following up on his tweet, Phil Hersh has posted a full article:

Pairs skater Brubaker will sit out season
11th-hour attempt to find new partner falls through
Globetrotting by Philip Hersh
3:39 p.m. CDT, September 1, 2012
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...will-sit-out-season-20120901,0,7031884.column

ETA:

As Hersh's tweet indicated, neither Brubaker not Evora is able to relocate. Logistical impossibility, it seems.

Regarding Marley:
"We had made great strides in the two months after worlds, but as we started getting ready for the season, it was apparent Mary Beth was struggling with the pressure and the work load," Brubaker said. "There were times when she wasn't happy.
"Even so, I was still surprised when she decided to stop. We were trying to work through things."​

Oh for gosh sakes.....in most areas of US society a 28 year old man and 14 year old girl are simply unacceptable.
Not to mention unattractive..... yech!

Terms like "serial killer" and "obsessive-compulsive behavior" come to mind.
Never do we think of "sport" in such a strange situation.

My advice to Rockne is find a girl who is age appropriate or get the hell out of skating.

And I don't blame Rockne here - but the horrible requirements of the CoP.....

And yet many of you here seem puzzled by the lack of interest in figure skating. :eek:

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
So this might be a really dumb question, but if neither Brubaker nor Evora could move, why would you try out in the first place? Is it one of those: well if we are so incredibly matched we will move, but if we are just ok or just good we can't move and then you say the reason was we couldn't move instead of we weren't spectacular together? It seems like those moving cards would be on the table before a try-out, no?

Maybe each of them secretly hoped that the other will change their mind and relocate?

Okay, so if Brubaker won't move, is he located anywhere near BeBe? Is that now a possibility? I understand they're sitting out the season, but could they plan for next season?

Oh for gosh sakes.....in most areas of US society a 28 year old man and 14 year old girl are simply unacceptable.

Well, Rockne Brubaker is 26, Amanda Evora is 28, and Mary Beth Marley is 17.

So it looks like Rockne is looking for a partner whose pairs skills are a good match for his, rather than for victims for his alter ego as a serial killer. ;)

Edited to add: Oops -- Amanda is 27.

Last edited: