PPLive / CCTV-5 Internet Coverage Tips | Golden Skate

PPLive / CCTV-5 Internet Coverage Tips

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
It was an interesting experience to figure out how to stay "with" PPLive for continuing awesome coverage of Skate Canada. I am hi-jacking this summary from FSU, but since I'm the one who posted it, I assume I can hi-jack my own stuff. :)

It was challenging to figure all this out. This is my summary of what worked best for me to continue getting the coverage. I hope this helps in preparation for Cup of China. Most of this is NOT original thinking - I ain't the techie type. It's what ended up working best primarily based on a zillion tips from different threads here, and also tips from other FS discussion sites on the net.

This is the link to the specific page at PPLive that I found most useful for installing and launching the program:

http://www.pplive.com/index.shtml

It seemed important to have THE most current version of the PPLive software installed. As of today, that's version 1.0.9.5 in Chinese. From the link above, look to the right and you can see those numbers.

If a more current version is available, I found it best to use the Windows Add/Remove programs feature to remove the previous version. Then click on the current version (the Chinese lettering just above the 1.0.9.X on the page referenced above. Select "Run." When the box pops up asking for "Elglish or Chinese" I had the best luck staying with Chinese. Of course I couldn't understand what I was reading, but I stayed with the default selections (choices were obvious with the highlighting) through the install wizard.

Once the updated software was installed, I had best results by re-booting before trying to launch the application.

Once re-booted, I had best success going back to the link above to the PPLive / index page. In the center of that screen is the listing selections, and I always selected CCTV-5 by clicking on "Play" just to the right of that. There is also a selection for CCTV5 (no dash) which sounds like has the same programming that others used (I did not, so can't say much about that)

At that point the system will launch the PPLive software automatically, and also launch Windows Media Player automatically. It takes varying amount of time for the "launch" to complete, and then for the buffering to complete. Patience required. (this was tough as patience sure ain't MY virtue!)

The quality of the image and sound seemed to improve the longer the thing played. So my strategy is now to launch early - well before the event.

TECH TIP: Since this is operating around firewalls, hubby (the techie one in the family) insists that when I'm done watching, I completely close the PPlive application to minimize hijacking risk. (for those non-techie like me, this takes more than just shutting down the Media Player)

A challenge I have NOT figured out how to solve is finding the program schedule. A HUGE thanks to Braulio and others who have found info and posted it. If there is a way to figure this out through a link in English, I would sure be interested! Or if it's only available in Chinese, I hope we will be able to have the schedule figured out as early as possible for COC. (Thanks in advance!!)

Hope this summary-of-experience-so-far-in-one-post is helpful to others.

Added comment - I found it WOW to be able to see live coverage, unedited, with no commentary in English. I feel like I learned a lot watching coverage without commentator bias getting in my way. I also enjoyed watching a whole bunch of performances that we will never see on US TV coverage.

So for those interested - I wanted to share my experience and hopefully save some time and aggravation for others. And of course my fingers and toes are crossed that the same things that *worked* this weekend will continue to *work* next weekend!! Enjoy..

DG

Kateri

On the Ice
Something it took me ages to figure out, so I thought I'd post it in case anyone else was having this problem....

Q: Is all you can see on cctv5 a still of a man playing golf?

A: If yes, you need to go to the program list page on the pplive site and click the PLAY link immediately underneath the PLAY link for the uppermost cctv5 listing. Not where it says cctv5 for a second time underneath, but the empty slot just under the first cctv5.

Did that make sense? Hope so...

Kat.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Heads Up...

There is a new version 1.0.9.6 of the PPLive software. I used the instructions given in my original post to uninstall 1.0.9.5, then reinstall the new version. Same things applied - be patient while it launches, and then once it comes up in WMP give it several minutes to "settle down" (the audio and video were choppy at first).

I didn't test the older version to see if it still worked for me - maybe I should have done that. But the new one works fine, at least for me.

DG