Practice report 3/23 | Golden Skate

Practice report 3/23

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice
Sat through the entire Ladies AM practice in the Convention center. It is FREEZING in there, and I thought my toes were going to fall off by the time I left. It's a very cozy place to watch the skaters practice as long as you're dressed warm and have something to sit on.

Ladies AM practice
No shows - Asada, Rochette, Phaneuf and Czisny.
Suguri looked good. She landed several 3L's(e) right in front of me with a few turn outs. Slow spins.
Ando really does look stunning in person and is skating really wel. Landed most of her jumps with good flow with a few pops but looks good overall. Her posture didn't seem that bad until I saw Ando and Lepisto skate almost side by side.
Meier didn't attempt too many jumps but her SP is fun to watch. I think she doubled a lot of jumps, and someone thought she was limping off the ice. Saw her later walking fine.
YuNa almost looks nonchalant during her practice but still has presence on the ice. Very fast and smooth. Her jumps look solid with nice landings. Again, landed a few 3L-3T and 3R. Her 3F-3T & 2A-3T look solid and easy.
Flatt was her usual steady self. Consistent jumps but seemed slow and spins definitely need improvement. She looks so much better in prime colors and her burgundy practice dress looked better than both her SP & LP dresses.
Kostner was a pleasant surprise. Didn't try any triples & very few doubles during her SP run through. She really does fly across the ice, and I think she is someone you have to watch live to appreciate. Her movement has more flow and elegance, which I don't feel watching her on TV. I really liked and appreciated her SLSS live.

Hope someone can report the afternoon session.

Pairs AM practice
No shows - Kavaguti & Smirnov and all 3 Chinese teams

Didn't pay too much attention since I needed to leave several times. I don't know much about the Pairs so the report is brief.

All Canadian teams looked good. Sorry no details.
Volosozhar glides across the ice. A person sitting next to me said she was so quiet. Didn't attempt too many jumps but landed a few nice throws but also pops a few jumps as well.
M&T were the only RUS team to show up. They skated around for the most part and didn't do too many throws or jumps. Did several nice lifts
Missed the German and US teams.

Ice Dance CD practice

Again, don't know much about ice dancing so will be brief again.

I showed up just in time to watch the FRA & RUS team go on the ice, and boy did I enjoy watching them jockeying for position. Is ice dancing practice always like this? There were several times when two couples were dancing SO close for a while, and it felt like neither pair wanted to back down.

B&A looked stronger than yesterday. It's hard not to pay attention to Agosto when he skates. He really does command the ice.

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
Ms. Anthrope, thank you very much again for the wonderful report!! I heard before that Miki has strong presence on the ice and looks much better in person. I am glad that you are confirming that information. It is nice to hear that Rachael is relaxed and doing her own thing. It is too late to fix her spins and spirals now, so I just wish she will do well what she can do. She is a consistent jumper and hopefully that will help her. Yes. I know it is really thrilling to see Kostner skates. Her speed and fluidity is INCREDIBLE. How was her spins and step sequences?Does she make a good use of edges and upper body ?
Please stay warm. Thank you very much again!!:)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
thank you so much for sharing!
maybe mao is training in lake arrowhead, which is not that far from LA and she is fimiliar with the rink there and can be alone...away from the cameras and the yu-na drama.

skatingbc

Final Flight
I showed up just in time to watch the FRA & RUS team go on the ice, and boy did I enjoy watching them jockeying for position. Is ice dancing practice always like this? There were several times when two couples were dancing SO close for a while, and it felt like neither pair wanted to back down.

I think that might just be the way ice dance is? Check out this clip from Cdn Nationals 2008...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxF81VSkF4c

Thanks for the info!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Any sightings of Joannie or Alissa.

Thanks for the report.

lcd

Match Penalty
There's nothing like ice dance practices to reveal the whole Darwinian underbelly :laugh:

Especially as dance seems the discipline where skaters actually show up for practices fully outfitted, it makes it like a true peacock fight. These practices have been known to draw blood. Obviously not intentionally, but it's not like they back down from each other either. Tchernishev actually sliced a leg of Denkova when they passed too closely one year, and the Bulgarians had to withdraw.

Full impact body blows while fully costumed... watch the feathers fly! :eek:

^ In ballroom dancing there seems to be an accepted protocol when two couple get too close together. The men whisk their partners out of harms way, then glare at each other as if to say, "Gentleman that I am, I will accept your abject apology this once!"

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice
Men's PM practice

Pfeifer landed some nice triples but he wasn't without troubles. The jumps he landed were quite beautiful.

Joubert had an excellent practice.:yes: Landed all triples and several quads---I think. His jumps look so light and clean. I mentioned this before, but he really has amazing presence on the ice even when he's just stroking around. It's hard to watch other skaters because he really does grab your attention, especially since he was landing jumps left & right.

Ponsero popped a few jumps here & there, but he had a pretty good practice overall. He spins so fast in the air and lands like a cat.

Oda was a no show.

Kozuka also had a pretty good practice and landed a few 3A's. He fell on his SP 3A after he landed it. I think he caught an edge & down he went. His basic skating skill is wonderful,

Patrick Chan is a dream to watch. He just floats across the ice with such ease & speed, and his footwork looks so effortless even at high speed. He was having a lot of trouble with his 3A's & landed only 1 or 2. Fell quite hard on one of them but kept trying.

Couldn't stay for other guys. Sorry.

Last edited:

goldenpleasures

On the Ice
Men's PM practice
Patrick Chan is a dream to watch. He just floats across the ice with such ease & speed, and his footwork looks so effortless even at high speed. He was having a lot of trouble with his 3A's & landed only 1 or 2. Fell quite hard on one of them but kept trying.

Not such good news when the 3A is so very important.

I hope Ponsero does well - his jumps are huge and he's got great skating skills.

Thanks very much for the reports. :rock:

antmanb

Record Breaker
^ In ballroom dancing there seems to be an accepted protocol when two couple get too close together. The men whisk their partners out of harms way, then glare at each other as if to say, "Gentleman that I am, I will accept your abject apology this once!"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I can think of nothing else except the film "Strictly Ballroom" at the mention of that!!

Ant

Wrlmy

Medalist

ks777

Record Breaker
Nothing surprising. Nobu is a great jumper:love: I really hope he lands a clean one and finally win his overdue medal.

Oda said in an interview that he gets really nervous in the competitions. I hope he brings it this time. He was excited to meet Ichiro at a restaurant this week. Actually Ichiro came to the restaurant when Miki and Oda were eating and Ichiro noticed Miki and came over and said something, I guess. I was a bit surprised Ichiro even knew who Miki was!

Anyways, here is the article.
http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/090325/spm0903251049004-n1.htm

Wrlmy

Medalist
Oda said in an interview that he gets really nervous in the competitions. I hope he brings it this time. He was excited to meet Ichiro at a restaurant this week. Actually Ichiro came to the restaurant when Miki and Oda were eating and Ichiro noticed Miki and came over and said something, I guess. I was a bit surprised Ichiro even knew who Miki was!

Anyways, here is the article.
http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/090325/spm0903251049004-n1.htm

Thank you so much. I usually don't go looking for a Japanese article because kanjis give me a headache, but that was a fun read. Miki became immensely popular a few years ago, so I'm not surprised Ichiro knows Miki:)
So Nobu is not attempting a quad in the short? Probably a good strategy, but I really hope he tries one in the long.