Predictions! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Predictions!

tilak

On the Ice
Men
1. Joubert
2. Chan
3. Kozuka
Although Kozuka performed great in competition at Skate America, he was a disaster in practices & fell at least twice in his exhibition. So I'm not convinced how well he will perform at TEB.

Ladies
1. Asada
2. Rochette
3. Zhang

Pairs
1. Savchenko/Szolkowy
2. Mukhortova/Trankov
3. Vise/Trent

Dance
1. Delobel/Schoenfelder
2. Kerr/Kerr
3. Faiella/Scali

I like the approach Carron and Jost took for the Original Dance. The couple were obviously going to a classy party or perhaps to their school's senior prom, and they dressed for it, and what better dance than the Fox Trot for such a romantic occasion? The Fox Trot in ice dance gets a no no because it isn't fiery, but I like it anyway. So maybe in spite of being an old curmudgeon, there is a romantic side to me. Loved Torval and Dean's in that come back Olys and then to lose to an exaggerated jitterbug.

It's tough field at TEB, but I am sure we will not be surprised at the results.

For the Ladies, Joannie has a good shot for silver here . Hope she holds up. I think the judges are waiting for Bebe not to fall and if she doesn't she'll podium. ms Zhang I think has a reputation now that will not give her good scores. Asada should walk a way with this.

For the Pairs - I can see Duhamel/Buntin on the podium along side of S/S and Mukhortova/Trankova if they have not WD. If not, some judges may understand mirror image skating and consider giving Vise/Trent an edge

Last edited:

SXTN

Final Flight
As for the ladies I would put Rochette into 1. place. Thx to SC she is probably as confident as she has never been before and she knows that she is capable of receiving high marks even with slight glitches here and there.
I am a bit concerned about Asada. Just because she trains with Tarasova now doesn't mean she will automatically win every competition because this year there's even more weight on her shoulders: she is the reigning world champion, plans two triple axels in the free ( which she probably won't do in her first competition of the season), she fixed her lutz and plans to include the Salchow in her program. I'd say enough things she could worry about entering a competition...
So, for me she remains a big question mark because she has proved a couple of times that anything can happen in her programs- in a postive or negative way...

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Men
1. Joubert
2. Kozuka
3. Preaubert (my early Christmas wish)

Ladies
1. Asada
2. Rochette
3. Zhang (because I’ve already used my Christmas wish)

Pairs
1. Savchenko / Szolkowy
2. Mukhortova / Trankov
3. One of those pairs left

Dance
1. Delobel / Schoenfelder
2. Kerr / Kerr
3. Faiella / Scali

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Men:
Gold - Brain ( i think one quad will be more than enough to beat Chan and Kazuko)
Silver/Bronze - toss up b/w Chan and Kazuko (who ever make least mistake will take the silver)

Ladies:
Gold - Mao (I am really excited to see both her new programs)
Silver - J.Rox no doubt - (i'm eagar to see how the judges will mark her super inflated programs)
Bronze - Zhang (although i'm hoping Bebe to get a medel)

shopgirl543

Rinkside
Ladies:

1. Mao Asada
2. Joannie Rochette
3. Caroline Zhang
4. Elene Gedevanishvili

Men:

1. Brian Joubert
2. Patrick Chan
3. Takahiko Kozuka
4. Alban Preaubert

Pairs:

1. Savchenko/Szolkowy
2. Mukhortova/Trankov
3. Duhamel/Buntin
4. Vise/Trent

Dance:

1. Delobel/Schoenfelder
2. Faiella/Scaill
3. Kerrs
4. Carron/Jost

Sdongxie

On the Ice
Men
Brian JOUBERT
Takahiko KOZUKA
Patrick CHAN
Alban PREAUBERT
Ryan BRADLEY
Jialiang WU
Brandon MROZ

Ladies
Mao ASADA
Joannie ROCHETTE
Caroline ZHANG

Pairs
Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY
Maria MUKHORTOVA / Maxim TRANKOV
Meagan DUHAMEL / Craig BUNTIN

Ice Dance
Isabelle DELOBEL / Olivier SCHOENFELDER
Sinead KERR / John KERR
Federica FAIELLA / Massimo SCALI
Pernelle CARRON / Mathieu JOST

Last edited:

tilak

On the Ice
Ok I know this question isn't directed at me, but I think Joannie skates like a guy in drag. No elegance, so stiff, so mechanical. Just my opinion. Everyone seems to hate my favorite lady (Kostner) so maybe I am just crazy (or all of you are). But I think Joannie is overmarked in her interpretation and choreography PCS.

:no: :eek: :no:
Joannie is not my favorite but I have to disagree. That's my opinion. You don't think Carolina is overmarked?

harmy18

Rinkside
Ok I know this question isn't directed at me, but I think Joannie skates like a guy in drag. No elegance, so stiff, so mechanical. Just my opinion. Everyone seems to hate my favorite lady (Kostner) so maybe I am just crazy (or all of you are). But I think Joannie is overmarked in her interpretation and choreography PCS.

:unsure::think:
wow...........you seem to be so mean towards her.........well........I pretty like her performance this year, maybe she's not that elegant, but not *stuff*, and I think she improves a lot JIMO

shine

Record Breaker
Ok I know this question isn't directed at me, but I think Joannie skates like a guy in drag. No elegance, so stiff, so mechanical. Just my opinion.
Wow, you obviously don't know elegance when you see it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joannie is a fine skater and she skated extremely well at Skate Canada, but I do think her marks were somewhat inflated (Patrick Chan's were as well). If she skates as well at TEB, I don't think her marks will be as high as they were at SC. Home ice advantage is a reality.

Generally, Carolina Kostner gets inflated PCS scores no matter where she skates, even when she skates poorly. I don't mind the high PCS scores when Carolina skates her best, but when she gets high PCS marks for bad skates, I think it's outrageous and an injustice to the skaters who deliver good performances yet place below her.

shine

Record Breaker
Joannie is a fine skater and she skated extremely well at Skate Canada, but I do think her marks were somewhat inflated (Patrick Chan's were as well). If she skates as well at TEB, I don't think her marks will be as high as they were at SC. Home ice advantage is a reality.
Well, it's not like skaters such as Kim and Asada haven't received extremely generous PCS on a even more consistent basis.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, it's not like skaters such as Kim and Asada haven't received extremely generous PCS on a even more consistent basis.

Asada and Kim receive high PCS scores no matter where they skate, and it's because they skate consistently well. At the Senior level, Asada is the 2005-2006 GPF Champion, won GPF medals in 2006-2007 and 2007-2008, was a World 2007 medalist and is the reigning World Champion; Kim has medaled at Worlds 2007 and 2008, and is the 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 GPF Champion. Both are former Junior World and JGPF Champions. If they receive high PCS scores, it is because they skate at a high level every time out.

You cannot compare Joannie Rochette to Kim and Asada in terms of consistency and international achievement. Kostner cannot compare either, as she is very inconsistent: she won World medals in 2005 and 2008, has European championships and medals, and one GPF medal (which was not without controversy). But Kostner is known just as much for not skating well as she is for skating well.

Last edited:

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Ladies:

1) Mao Asada
2) Caroline Zhang
3) Joannie Rochette

Men:

1) Brian Joubert
2) Patrick Chan
3) Takahiko Kozuka

Pairs: