Profile of Adam Rippon in the Guardian | Golden Skate

Profile of Adam Rippon in the Guardian

ribbit

On the Ice
The Guardian, a major British newspaper, has a long profile of Adam Rippon on its online front page today:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ce-skater-adam-rippon-on-taking-on-mike-pence

Although the content of the article will be familiar to most GSers, it's a rare example of the mainstream media giving a platform to a figure skater, and a sign of just how impressively high his profile has risen in recent months. And it's a pleasure to read such thoughtful quotations from Adam on the decision to advocate for LGBTQ rights (together with a few of his best lighter comments and tweets):

His most important work, he says, has been with the Trevor Project, which provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to young LGBTQ people. “I asked myself: what did I want to do? How can I help other people?” he says. “And it makes me think about the people who have come before me, what they’ve gone through. I got to have this amazing conversation with Billie Jean King and she told me about when she was outed, how her career suffered and spiralled out of control. And so I thought, if I’m given this platform and I can get to engage with so many people, what can I do to help other people so that they don’t need to go through what I went through as a kid?"

As much as I'll miss his skating, it looks as if his decision to leverage his Olympic moment into a platform for serious advocacy work is turning out well. Go Adam!

Mods: I posted a link to this article and the same pull quote in Adam's fan fest but thought a significant profile of a figure skater's accomplishments on and off the ice deserved attention in The Edge too. Please delete this thread if the duplication isn't appropriate!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
It's a great interview. Yes, most of the content is known, but it's still great that such a paper gives him a podium. Long live Adam!