Rhumba and Cha Cha Likely for SD Next Season | Golden Skate

Rhumba and Cha Cha Likely for SD Next Season

KKonas

Medalist
There is an article on icenetwork regarding the potential rhythms for next season. Rhumba for Seniors and Cha Cha for Juniors. I spoke with Bob Horen at Nationals about it but he said it was not official until the IDTC meets this summer, and it could be changed. Apparently, the committee is looking for emphasis on the step sequences of some of the compulsories but also looking to allow more interpretive aspects to be a part of the SD.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Rumba would be a big advantage for Voir if they keep competing.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
I think a jive or a swing set would be a lot of fun to have, but a Rhumba really works in Yana and Fedor's advantage, then again I LOVE for them to do a swing set.

KKonas

Medalist
Rumba is one of the more sensual dances so that will make it a bit harder on brother/sister teams.

The steps of the rhumba CD from which they will be using for judging purposes is not at all sensual. The CD emphasizes deep edges. Skaters will be able to use other Latin rhythms as well, (except tango and paso doble). I don't think brother/sister teams will be greatly disadvantaged here.

The Carribbean dances are NOT shake your A$$. That's a hollywood version picked up by Maxim on DWTS.

The Rhumba is in reply to the American Fox Trot, but it is done to a much slower beat and rhythm. It's a very sensuous slow dance for the dancing couple. By no means should it turn into a European waltz or a glitzy DWTS type.

The Cha Cha is like a time step in tap dancing.

yunafan1860

Rinkside
Any dance is better than Waltz for me :biggrin: meh really gettin' tired of pretty pastel costumes and super-glaring smiles

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'd rather they picked a lot more difficult compulsory than rhumba for the seniors.

Plus I can't say I'm thrilled by Cha Cha Congeleda for the juniors. IMO Cha cha is the dance that has been least successfully translated to ice by anybody. Anyone who thinks cha cha works well should check out the FD of Gorshkova & Butikov this season, or the 1981 OSP's at Worlds (Cha cha), all of which were quite awful as cha chas.

I'm thinking they're picking an easier pattern dance because the GW has really separated the pack as to who can do it and who really can't.

If they're going to do the rhumba, I'd like to see them pick one circuit of Rhumba D'Amore that they never implemented as a CD that was a take off on T&D's 1994 OSP. That would give everyone an even start, since the only teams who ever learned it for demonstration purposes have pretty much retired.

Doris - It's not the difficulty in the Rhumba, it's all about the sensuousness of the Rhumba. It's one of those closing close numbers to dance to just before the cabaret, bar, banquet, or party closes. It's not a flashy dance for all to see. It's just between a man and a woman. Unlike Single FS, I believe the age group in Ice Dance can handle it. I would not like to see the Juniors que se que sex? with a puzzled :confused: look on their faces. At least in the Tango they can fake it.

I do agree with you on cha cha. It just doesn't work with Ice Dance.

KKonas

Medalist
Doris - It's not the difficulty in the Rhumba, it's all about the sensuousness of the Rhumba. It's one of those closing close numbers to dance to just before the cabaret, bar, banquet, or party closes. It's not a flashy dance for all to see. It's just between a man and a woman. Unlike Single FS, I believe the age group in Ice Dance can handle it. I would not like to see the Juniors que se que sex? with a puzzled :confused: look on their faces. At least in the Tango they can fake it.

I do agree with you on cha cha. It just doesn't work with Ice Dance.

The Rhumba CD is the fastest of the senior CD's - it's over in a flash. Skaters might be better off adding a samba, mambo or meringue.

The Rhumba CD is the fastest of the senior CD's - it's over in a flash. Skaters might be better off adding a samba, mambo or meringue.
I assume that the Dance Committe of the ISU decided to change the tempo of the Rhumba. They will have to use music that is not real Rhumba music. Why call it a Rhumba?

Groan. I hate Latin dances on ice. It's rarely done well.
Yes, including N.Americans. The best Latin dancers are indeed from the Carribbean Islands, and those that know Latin dances.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

KKonas

Medalist
For those trying to remember what the Rhumba cd looked and sounded like: (T&D 1984)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3-3AahwHTo&playnext=1&list=PL2952E4E05EAFEFE0

As great as T&D were, they weren't the speediest of skaters and these days top skaters can do this CD faster. Horen was also talking about only 2 instead of the 4 seqences of this pattern dance, which will take only 30 seconds. Will have to wait and see what the IDTC finally comes up with for the SD. I also prefer T&D's newer 1994 Rhumba as it is indeed more difficult, but that doesn't seem to be where the IDTC is heading.

Last edited by a moderator:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The skaters' speed has nothing to do with how long it takes to replicate a pattern dance. The rhythm sets it. What the skaters' speed changes is the size of the pattern they skate and the depth of the edges they are on-a faster team covers a longer distance in the same time than slower skaters, where the time is set by the length of the musical piece on the ISU official CD. In the case of today's pattern dance in the SD, supposedly the length of the pattern segment should be exactly equal to the length of the segment on the ISU official CD for the given pattern dance. (I do wonder whether this is checked. It certainly could be checked at the same time that the length of the skaters' musical programs is checked, during the practices.

Yes, only 2 full sequences of the rhumba could be done, just as only one full sequence of the GW was done, and only two sequences of the Viennese Waltz was done in the SD this year for juniors. In fact, that seems to be what the SD model is aiming for, and I would expect it.

I too think they are aiming for easy (i.e. the old rhumba that was thought so easy that the ISU was seeking a Senior level dance to replace it). I would not be surprised that feds with skaters who can't really handle the GW were annoyed with this year's choice.

kate

On the Ice

This CD (unlike the rhumba d'amour) is not really a ballroom rhumba. It is too fast and it doesn't have a rhumba beat or traditional rhumba expression. It really is one of the easiest of the senior CDs, expression included.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
That first Rhumba is pretty ..um...un-Rhumba-like is the kindest way of putting it.:scowl:
doris, am I remembering correctly that the ISU talked about adopting T/D 's Rhumba ( or part of it ) as a CD ,but it was never used ?

If they're going Rhumba , please Rhumba D'amour..