Rudy G. was sooooo rude! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rudy G. was sooooo rude!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
lindasaffell said:
I don't understand the thrill of these kind of programs *except* for people who can't get up from the couch. And I am sure nobody posting in this thread is in that group.

:sheesh: Believe it or not people who can't walk still have fully functioning brains and have the same standards as to what is or is not entertaining as everyone else.. Some even post on this thread...imagine that!

Ileana

Rinkside
I was mad at Rudy too. You DO NOT tell a teenage girl to loose weight in tv! That's just wrong so degrading! I've lost any respect I had for Rudy. He's probably just hoping to be as popular as Simon from American Idol by being a jerk. I turned the show off after that. Pointless.

Jasper

Final Flight
I watched about 5 minutes. BORING. And all the skaters were so full of themselves but none entertaining.

lindasaffell

Rinkside
Piel said:
:sheesh: Believe it or not people who can't walk still have fully functioning brains and have the same standards as to what is or is not entertaining as everyone else.. Some even post on this thread...imagine that!

:cry: I am sorry that my remark sounded as though I was criticizing the disabled. What I MEANT was the shows like this are for people who ... WILL not get up off of the couch (meaning, the couch potatoes). I think it is very sad that those people will perceive skating and skaters as pretty horrible, based on a TV SHOW. I hope the show is short-lived and doesn't gather many viewers. Heck, there are skating competitions around for people to watch -- and from what I read many of them have very small audiences. Wouldn't it be nice if somehow television could encourage people to support their local rinks and the skaters who compete there.

Again, Piel, I'm sorry I offended you!! I wrote awkwardly to convey what I meant.

lindasaffell said:
... there are skating competitions around for people to watch -- and from what I read many of them have very small audiences. Wouldn't it be nice if somehow television could encourage people to support their local rinks and the skaters who compete there.
For people (like me) who are lucky enough to live in an area that has several active rinks, it is SO MUCH FUN to check out the local competitions and recitals.

I like the all-levels events the best, from toddlers who have to be pushed around the ice by their coaches, up to some really stellar performances at the novice and junior levels. There are always a lot of innovative group numbers, too. Plus participation by local pros and current senior competitors. :rock:

MM :)

flying camel

Medalist
I thought everyone was skating to the same music. Now I find out the sound quality sucked. Why is Krisite involved with this mess? All those judges have skated in Ice shows, they know how important sound is. Didn't any of them notice.

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
Just like Johnny (perhaps even more extreme considering Rudy's blatantly open sexuality), Rudy as a skater is an acquired taste, and perhaps now as a personality. Before I liked him b/c his background story is inspirational, and his crusades against AIDS, racial/otherwise discrimination, etc. were admirable. But I guess since he made those "Johnny should might as well come out of the closet" comments in a Chicago Tribune interview before the Olympics, his head has exploded. I watched tidbits of the first Skating's Next Star episode from MKF, and was immediately put off by Rudy. OMFG, what made him so bitter. I understand he's trying to imitate Simon Cowell (who wasn't) but those comments were neither tactful nor constructive, they're just insensitive.
Don't even get me started about Slutty Grishuk, cheap-a$$ Oksana Baiul knock-off.

Jane2

Rinkside
flying camel said:
I thought everyone was skating to the same music. Now I find out the sound quality sucked. Why is Krisite involved with this mess? All those judges have skated in Ice shows, they know how important sound is. Didn't any of them notice.

I was under the impression that there was *no* music. I thought it was just a thing of 'go out there & skate for 1 minute & show us what you've got' kind of thing.....with no music. Was there really music?:scratch:

Jane2 said:
Was there really music?:scratch:
If you turn the sound way up on the first couple of performances you can make out some drums playing. It got somewhat better after that (although the music selection was dreadful).

One more question. Was that tiny surface really ice? It looked like one of those plastic fake-ice sheets.

Maybe this was their attempt at mimicking the American Idol pre-auditions, where they go around to different cities on a shoestring budget and then show the worst performances of the lot, with Simon telling us how dreadful it all is, and the judges cracking up with the sheer idiocy of it all.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
as a "fat" person I am very disturbed by certain comments by members here that basically we should be so ashamed of ourselves that we should never allow ourselves to face the public...

yes, I could purge every ounce of fat from my body by either starving, barfing, or surgery, but I don't. I try my best to eat balanced meals, and I do a lot of walking. Some people can't help being a little "heavy"

it amazes me... everyone says Sasha/half a dozen other top skaters are too thin... but then someone of average body weight is shown as a skater and they might as well call her a cow... it's a double standard, and a dangerous one at that. :no:

Numbers Cruncher

Rinkside
Body size

Put the whole thing in perspective. We're talking about competitive figure skaters, not the average person.

If you want to be a good to great figure skater you have to be body conscious. I agree that this production is awful and I don't plan to watch it again. However, I do agree that Ms. Mecher is not in fighting form. Here is how I remember her:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=18605

She was lean, she was mean, she was gorgeous and fun to watch. She's got to know that she's not in good form to be competitive at anything.

NC

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
perhaps so, but discouraging her by saying she's fat and awful as a figure skater because of it will not encourage her to continue training.

isk82

On the Ice
Wow!

I can't believe Rgranny (sorry if I got the name wrong) actually thinks that cute little high school girl was fat. That's just sad. She was a NORMAL-sized person, muscular build. I would certainly like to be that FAT!

And of course you have to be able to accept criticism to be on a show like this, but to sit there and laugh like a couple of 10 year olds while this person is waiting for an honest critique is beyond rude. When did it become ok for people to humiliate other people and we call it entertainment? So the guy had a bad skate? He deserved to have them openly laughing at him? I was really disappointed in that.

Rudy needs a new phrase besides - "Your skating was really weak" You know, these people are no where near elite level skating, so to expect them to come out and skate like pros is ridiculous. You have to judge based on comparison to the competition, not to themselves. (themselves being Rudy, Pasha, Elvis)

I agree with what Mathman said - I'm surprised Kristi would be part of this. The idea is great and it could be a lot of fun, but if it continues like this, it's just sad.

Last edited:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I'm wondering if my tv might not be out of kilter. On my tv, she had huge legs, etc. Actually I'd rather see someone a little overweight than those that are too skinny. I think I taped it, so will have to look at it again and change the things on the tv to see if I had it on the wrong whatamajig. When I got that new tv last year, I had a hard time getting used to all those fancy things on it.

It is a shortened version of great granny.

Jane2

Rinkside
Numbers Cruncher said:
Put the whole thing in perspective. We're talking about competitive figure skaters, not the average person.

If you want to be a good to great figure skater you have to be body conscious. I agree that this production is awful and I don't plan to watch it again. However, I do agree that Ms. Mecher is not in fighting form. Here is how I remember her:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=18605

She was lean, she was mean, she was gorgeous and fun to watch. She's got to know that she's not in good form to be competitive at anything.

NC

When was this picture taken? 2002? Was she 13 or 14 years old?
There's quite a difference in a 13 year old's body & an 18 year old's body.
I thought she was darling. Very cute & not fat. At all. I can remember seeing skaters that I thought were a little 'stout', & this girl was nowhere near that.
But.....having said the above statement (seeing stout skaters) it made me feel bad to just type that. Because even if I did feel a skater was a bit on the heavy side, I would not say it. It's just RUDE. Especially an 18 year old girl.
My goodness......:no:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Jane2 said:
When was this picture taken? 2002? Was she 13 or 14 years old?
There's quite a difference in a 13 year old's body & an 18 year old's body.
That photo was taken at 2003 Nationals when Mecher was 15 years old (she won the junior ladies' silver medal) and hadn't really "matured" yet.

Mecher was the only female skater to try a triple (she fell hard on a 3toe) in her routine in the first episode. She certainly isn't overweight by a normal person's standards, and she had even indicated (gestured, really) in her off-ice interview that she had gotten "bigger" after she had stopped training/competing. In her heyday (around 2003), she was able to land all her triples through lutz, but it seemed to me from watching her skate on Monday night that she wasn't in "elite skater competition" shape for this show. In her interview, I believe she also mentioned she had only just started "training" not too long before the show's taping. Her main strength used to be more about landing the triples rather than performance ability/charisma, and so I thought she looked a little out of place in that category compared to the other veteran show skaters. I didn't enjoy seeing her upset reaction off-ice afterwards to Galindo's comment about her needing to lose weight, but I guess that's one of the perils of signing up to be on a "reality" show.

Last edited:

Numbers Cruncher

Rinkside
Fat or fit?

If we took a poll between active competition skaters and us competitive typists I'm sure it would be quite a split.

NC

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Numbers Cruncher said:
If we took a poll between active competition skaters and us competitive typists I'm sure it would be quite a split.

NC

Don't tell me that you are buying into the stereotyped perceptions about competitive typists! :sheesh: And you just HAD to throw in the US for some reason? ;)

:laugh: When it comes arguing about weight issues, the winners are the people who remain silent! :yes:

antmanb

Record Breaker
SusanBeth said:
Don't tell me that you are buying into the stereotyped perceptions about competitive typists! :sheesh: And you just HAD to throw in the US for some reason? ;)

:laugh: When it comes arguing about weight issues, the winners are the people who remain silent! :yes:

Jesus woman - you're obsessed ...where in that post was the US mentioned???

Ant