Rudy Galindo lashes out at Johnny | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rudy Galindo lashes out at Johnny

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Nothing about Johnny or his routines ever reminded me of Rudy Galindo. Rudy.... a little jealous maybe?

There is a gentleman's agreement in skating circles that a new move belongs to the originator for the entire season. Next season it is open for grabs and if it brings in lots of points like Bielman spirals then that's what the CoP has given us. Imitators and repetitive tricks is what CoP produces.

Back to topic: You don't think this will start a 'cat fight?' :p

Joe

Hornblower

Rinkside
"I worked so hard at creating a program, and then I'll see he's copied something later, whether it's a costume or a move,"

Are Ulrich Salchow, Aloys Lutz, Axel Paulsen, or Ina Bauer turning over in their graves because successive generations of skaters copy and expand on their moves? I doubt it.

Rudy, I felt so honored to get your autograph at COI in Washington last year, because I admire your courage so much. Now I have a bad taste in my mouth. Get over it, please.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Maybe Rudy is afraid that, after Olympics, Johnny will take over Rudy's title of "#1Homo on Ice"! Maybe Rudy is afraid that Johnny will be skating to 'YMCA' in the Tom Collins COI tour?

Sheesh...this is bizarre. Rudy - Rudy - Rudy....

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Back to topic: You don't think this will start a 'cat fight?' :p

Joe

If so, Camille is in trouble.

On a more serious note, one would hope Rudy would be proud that his "icebreaking" paved the way for Johnny's success, instead of letting the lavender-eyed monster of jealousy overwhelm his being and sinking the situation into a screaming queen match. Although the eville part of me would love to see that.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Why is Johnny "refreshing" and "honest" when he says less-than-flattering things about other skaters, but Rudy is "jealous"? Whatever happened to equal rights?

cammie

Spectator
I eagerly await the moment when Toller Cranston chimes in and says, "Well, actually they're both stealing from me" becuase they both owe more than a little of their skating style to him.

And Rudy Galindo should just shut it. Remember when he complained about the marks the pro judges gave him for that god-awful clown costume number and implied that he gets bad marks because he doesn't just go out there and act like the other men? WHATEVER, RUDY, YOU WERE DRESSED LIKE A CLOWN. (Harlequin, to put a fine point on it). GET OVER YOURSELF.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
cammie said:
I eagerly await the moment when Toller Cranston chimes in and says, "Well, actually they're both stealing from me" becuase they both owe more than a little of their skating style to him.

Good point!
And if Johnny is "stealing" from Rudy, I sure hope that the swan is as far as Johnny will go. The last time I saw Rudy skate, he was dressed as a disco ball.
This is just silly. But it does bring up an interesting mental picture of Brian Boitano out to take down any skater who performs a lutz with his/her arm raised.
Look out, Irina! :laugh:
xoxo
Rave

Linny

Final Flight
In or Out

Isn't there, like, ummm (looking for the the tactful way to put this)...

Isn't there an unspoken resentment among those who are out of the closet against those who haven't made a statement either way? See, the more gays and lesbians who are out, the greater sway they will have on popular opinion, right? Could that be the impetuous behind Rudy's comments?

Linny

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
so Rudy's jealous because he's not the only effeminate skater out there these days and so that means he isn't "unique" and more people are interested in Johnny than him

basically that's the point of the article?...

Also interesting to read that they don't get along... i

rob43

On the Ice
Stealing form him- geez imagine how Kwan must have felt from 99-02 when her own competitors were cribbing multiple moves from her (most of which she revived from previous skaters.)

Although if Beillman came out & told the current ladies to knock it off, I reallt wouldn't mind. That spin and Kwan's spiral (specifically the deep edging) are 2 moves that don't look as good on others.

BTW- Jahnke was doing the 'Tano lutz a few years back. Aand I'm glad Savoie made the 06 team because I felt like a few noted men also started doing some of his moves around 02-3.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
attyfan said:
Why is Johnny "refreshing" and "honest" when he says less-than-flattering things about other skaters, but Rudy is "jealous"? Whatever happened to equal rights?

Cuz Johnny's young hip and happenin - he has no reason to be jealous of anyone yet... Rudy's another story - I love Rudy, big fan, but he always had a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Linny said:
Isn't there, like, ummm (looking for the the tactful way to put this)...

Isn't there an unspoken resentment among those who are out of the closet against those who haven't made a statement either way? See, the more gays and lesbians who are out, the greater sway they will have on popular opinion, right? Could that be the impetuous behind Rudy's comments?

Linny

Does anyone here think Johnny is in the closet??? :laugh:

soogar

Record Breaker
Maybe Rudy is just pi$$ed that Johnny dissed his good friend Michelle calling her dowdy in his Salon interview.

guinevere

Final Flight
Linny said:

Linny
This is what I thought when I read Rudy's remarks. And, FreeKatie, as long as Johnny makes no public statement about his sexuality, he is publicly closeted, no matter how flamboyant he is. I could totally understand why a skater who was willing to come out publicly during his career and risk the wrath of judges would be irked by another skater who is twice as flaming but refuses to speak on the subject.

Of course, Rudy did not say that that's really what's bugging him.

Whoever made the crack about Rudy being a 'dirty old man' toward Johnny - Rudy's in his mid-thirties, Johnny's in his early 20s. I know many couples with the same age range, straight and gay. I know it was meant as a joke but some of the jokes in this thread are teetering on the brink of homophobic themselves.

I don't think Johnny's skating particularly looks like Rudy's, although he does do the 'shotgun' that was something of a trademark for Rudy. Johnny's definitely not the only one, however. I wouldn't compare the 'stealing moves' idea to skaters such as Ulrich Salchow, Denise Bieillman, Ina Bauer, etc, because those moves carry their names. Anytime someone does the move, it is associated with the skater who invented or popularized it. That's true for the 'Tano Lutz as well. There is no "Galindo" move

layman

On the Ice
Disappointed in Galindo

I am so disappointed in Galindo's remarks. If anyone should be supportive and empathetic towards Johnny, it should be Galindo. I don't understand why Galindo would not act as Johnny's big brother and cheerleader.

Galindo's comments wreak of envy and sour grapes. It's very sad.

What's sadder is how negative and hostile gay officials, judges and former athletes are towards gay athletes in Figure Skating (reference Jon Jackson's book). What gives? It's like a sport run by a thousand J. Edgar Hoovers.