Rudy Galindo lashes out at Johnny | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Rudy Galindo lashes out at Johnny

cammie

Spectator
[q]Why is Toller Cranston being mentioned among all of this? Toller was just exceptionally artistic and graceful - he was not gay. Some people thought Fred Astaire was gay - he never was.[/q]

Uh...look back at our posts re Cranston. We're talking of how Weir and Galindo both owe their skating style (not their sexual preference) to Toller Cranston. Their skating styles are very imitative of Cranston both in arm/leg extension, in chosen position, and in artistry. .

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
jsteam4501s said:
Why is Toller Cranston being mentioned among all of this? Toller was just exceptionally artistic and graceful - he was not gay.

um... since when? LOL there are dozens of sources, including Toller that would disagree with you...

but no one was talking about toller's sexuality so much as they were skating style... which is very similar to what Rudy and Johnny are known for (except he was way better, and way more original)

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I have Cranston's books and he definitely was gay.
Actually, he went either way.

mike79

On the Ice
I'm sorry but Rudy Galindo was a flash in the pan. Yes he was around at the amateur level for awhile in both pairs and singles but he only had one season of note. He had the worst 3Axel this side of Michael Weiss. Johnny Weir does things on the ice Galindo could only dream of.

Deal with it Rudy.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I'm reminded of the story that when Tara Lipinski saw Michelle Kwan practice a 3Lo/3Lo, Lipinski had a fit, because it was "her" combination, and her mother had to tell her, no dear, it's not.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
mike79 said:
I'm sorry but Rudy Galindo was a flash in the pan.

Yes, but what a bright, pretty flash! And as my Nana says, "If it don't flash, I don't see it." [We're from Texas, can you tell?]

Rudy's skate to win nationals was very exciting (remember how he waved to a friend in the crowd in the middle of it!). I always want to see a skater pull out their very best- for most, it happens very infrequently- and get rewarded for it with good scores.

Also, I very much appreciated seeing an 'out' gay skater! Finally! (cough, cough, Brian, cough, cough.) Even if he did wear out that sequined rainbow flag (figuratively). Work it, girl! Rudy represents more than just his skating, for me.

I'm willing to give Johnny time to come out on his own terms, and Rudy's comments just come off tacky. It's very Joan Crawford-Bette Davis. Maybe they could do a tour: Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? - On Ice

Hey, Skatefanconvert, I see you went through with your threat to change your avatar! :laugh:

Rudy was not a flash in the pan because he has had such a fine pro career on top of his achievements as an amateur. He is still the show-stopper of COI, to me, after Michelle.

MM :)

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I would not call someone who was a US National Champion in Pairs and Men's skating a flash in the pan. I also wouldn't call someone who was a Jr world champion in Mens and Pairs a flash in the pan, but that's me.

mike79

On the Ice
The reason I call him a flash in the pan is because he really only had the one season of great skating that people remember. I think the same could be said for Ilia Kulik (who is one of my favorite skaters) and Tara Lipinski. It's not that these people don't have talent, it's that they have their shining moment and then pretty much disappear from the amateur scene.

I stick by my saying that Johnny can do things Rudy could only dream of. While Rudy was and is an artistic skater no one can touch the fluidity that Johnny skates with. It's very reminiscent of John Curry.

There's only so many times I can take 'Send in the Clowns'.

mike79 said:
There's only so many times I can take 'Send in the Clowns'.
But there is no limit to how many times I can see YMCA!!!!! :rock: Rudy begged Tom Collins to let him do a different program on tour a couple of years ago, but Collins wouldn't let him. :laugh:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
sk8fanconvert said:
... It's very Joan Crawford-Bette Davis. Maybe they could do a tour: Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? - On Ice

What about putting together teams of skating fans, grouped by skater, for a similar tour

RubyNV

Rinkside
Toller

Toller wasn't gay?????
Why on earth do you think that????
There are many gay skaters, and the majority are not "out".