Rudy Galindo lashes out at Johnny | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Rudy Galindo lashes out at Johnny

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
layman said:
Galindo's comments wreak of envy and sour grapes. It's very sad.

What's sadder is how negative and hostile gay officials, judges and former athletes are towards gay athletes in Figure Skating (reference Jon Jackson's book). What gives? It's like a sport run by a thousand J. Edgar Hoovers.

Rudy's always come off as sour grapes in interviews... I feel sorry for him because he never sounds happy lol... I think the only time I enjoyed reading an article on him was after he came back from his surgeries a couple(?) of years ago. I'm not a huge fan of his but I've liked a few programs over the years (Village People, Colors of the Wind even with the weird costume... and a couple of others that the titles fail me now...)

I just don't think it make sense that he complains about Johnny's taking from him. It's not like he didn't have moves that others do... and in all honesty Johnny skates better than Rudy... *shrugs* so he's not copying he's perfecting ;)

over the years Rudy's been quite harsh to Kristi, and for a long time seemed to blame her for his skating woes... so while the skater he's whining about now is a shocking one (I would have thought he'd be like every other US champion and lavish praise, what did I know) it's not surprising that he'd sound this way... *shrugs*

as for Johnny's comments, not all of us think it's refreshing.. both of them come off as annoying to me when they get on their "soap boxes" ;) (just as I'm sure I annoy most anyone when I rant so I'll shut up now)

btw, welcome to the board layman (or rather, thanks for coming out of lurkdom...)!!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The important question is where does this leave Camille? Is she in, out, or just confused? Maybe Rudy is suffering from Camille envy? What would Mango do?

soogar

Record Breaker
It could be that Rudy is just playing around. He did say in an interview that he and Johnny need to get into a catfight to bring more spark to skating.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
soogar said:
It could be that Rudy is just playing around. He did say in an interview that he and Johnny need to get into a catfight to bring more spark to skating.

He could be right. I'll hold their boas.
xoxo
Rave

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Wow! I have got to change my avatar now! Rudy has a bitter edge to him, for sure. I guess I could see how Princess Johnny could work your last gay nerve, I suppose, if you have to put up with it day in and day out! Especially if you want all the attention yourself! I'm quite disappointed in RG.

guinevere

Final Flight
Piel said:
The important question is where does this leave Camille? Is she in, out, or just confused?
Camille, if named for the composer Camille Saint-Saens, is a he ;)

sk8addict

On the Ice
lost respect

I lost all respect for Rudy in 2003 when I aked him for an autograph for my niece. He insisted on using his own pen. Guess what! Disappearing ink.

sk8addict

On the Ice
Queer

Linny said:
Isn't there, like, ummm (looking for the the tactful way to put this)...

Isn't there an unspoken resentment among those who are out of the closet against those who haven't made a statement either way? See, the more gays and lesbians who are out, the greater sway they will have on popular opinion, right? Could that be the impetuous behind Rudy's comments?

Linny
He's Weir. He's here. Get used to it.

S

SkateFan4Life

Mafke said:
I don't get it, Galindo really think that once one skater does something, that means no other skater should ever do it again?

Flattery, Rudy, flattery.

I agree with you. Galindo and Weir are both wonderfully lyrical, artistic skaters. It just stands to reason that they may perform some moves that bear a lot of resemblance; however, that doesn't mean that either of them "stole" the moves from each other. Just my own opinion, of course.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I lost all respect for Rudy in 2003 when I aked him for an autograph for my niece. He insisted on using his own pen. Guess what! Disappearing ink.
That's not a very nice thing to do.:disapp:

76olympics

On the Ice
" Ieagerly await the moment when Toller Cranston chimes in and says, "Well, actually they're both stealing from me" becuase they both owe more than a little of their skating style to him."

Cammie, I agree 1000%. Actually, Toller was a better skater-more original and more consistent (in free skating anyway. He was never the king of figures in any shape or form) than either of them, IMHO. Toller even talked the talk with more wit and verve (although he could whine too. Toller, an Olympic bronze is GOOD! John Curry had an invincible skate--one of the greatest of all time.)

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
sk8addict said:

I have to say that I absolutely adore Rudy for his skating, amazing perseverance and honesty (as in being out of the closet). On the other hand, I never read much about him.

I found his comments foolish because instead of being supportive he is on the attack, and frankly I don't see much resemblance in their skating, especially in the Swan program. As many pointed out, he should feel flattered if somebody (in his eyes) is "immitating" his moves. On the other hand, there are many "signature" moves that are not named after the skater who invented them or made the move popular, yet you don't hear these skaters complaining that others are stealing their moves. And Rudy is no longer in the amature ranks, so it's not like Johnny is his competitor.

Anyways, I as I said, I felt that Rudy's comments were foolish and did not feel like posting under the thread. However, sk8addict story really bothered me. That is really low and mean! Why is he so protective of his authograph??? Does he think that sk8addict would try to sell it on eBay for $5??? Low, Rudy. low...

I hope your neice was not too upset.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Why is Toller Cranston being mentioned among all of this? Toller was just exceptionally artistic and graceful - he was not gay. Some people thought Fred Astaire was gay - he never was.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
soogar said:
Maybe Rudy is just pi$$ed that Johnny dissed his good friend Michelle calling her dowdy in his Salon interview.

Actually, trollgar, It was Salon.com calling her dowdy and Johnny defended Kwan in that interview talking about how she dresses in Vera Wang.

But I guess you had to get your digs in Kwan no matter what thread it's in. Nice try though.

antmanb

Record Breaker
IDLERACER said:
As the house of Windsor has repeatedly demonstrated, there's nothing unusual about a queen disapproving of a princess. :biggrin: Frankly, I think both of them stole their acts from Paul Lynde.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

antmanb

Record Breaker
skatergirlaj said:
Ok this is probably going to come across as mean but oh well...This just comes across as plan ole jealousy because Johnny can be flashy and has gotten further in the sport than Rudy did. Sounds like someone has low self-esteem.

Erm...last time i checked johnny's world championship medal cabinet is distinctly empty...maybe in a couple of months time that won't be the case but right now i'd say Galindo is winning that one.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Piel said:
The important question is where does this leave Camille? Is she in, out, or just confused? Maybe Rudy is suffering from Camille envy? What would Mango do?

I know who Camille is...but who is mango?!

Ant