2024-25 Rhythm Dance theme | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2024-25 Rhythm Dance theme

Rebecca Moose

proud Tonia K fan since '95
On the Ice
Country
United-States
wtf is a "social dance"?🤯

bring back proper dance themes. I get the ISU wants to encourage dances that can go viral and be meme-worthy, but I'd prefer for them to stick to traditional ballroom rhythms for the RD and encourage upbeat programs for the FD. With everyone doing upbeat 80s dances this season, I found all the slow introspective FDs rather tedious to sit through at Worlds.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
it's rock and roll for the 50s (Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis...if we're lucky), twist for the 60s and disco for the 70s
Update: The couple decided, since they're not planning to compete with their rhythm dance, to cheat a bit and use a 1979 song with a rock and roll rhythm, Queen's Crazy Little Thing Called Love. Close enough for just choreographing for fun, they figure :wink:.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Update: The couple decided, since they're not planning to compete with their rhythm dance, to cheat a bit and use a 1979 song with a rock and roll rhythm, Queen's Crazy Little Thing Called Love. Close enough for just choreographing for fun, they figure :wink:.
nice choice

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

You would not believe how many years it was that I was convinced that this was one of the very rare occasions when Queen were covering an pre-existing song. It just shows how talented a songwriter Freddie Mercury was, that he got it so spot on that he had me totally fooled.

Actually, I can imagine one of the other of the songs that Queen covered, "The Great Pretender" by The Platters, as an Ice Dance programme. Albeit with a much slower tempo than "Crazy Little Thing Called Love".

CaroLiza_fan

Weathergal

Medalist
When you mentioned that, I was surprised because "The Game," the album that song is on was released in 1980. Perhaps the single was released first?
You would not believe how many years it was that I was convinced that this was one of the very rare occasions when Queen were covering an pre-existing song. It just shows how talented a songwriter Freddie Mercury was, that he got it so spot on that he had me totally fooled.

Actually, I can imagine one of the other of the songs that Queen covered, "The Great Pretender" by The Platters, as an Ice Dance programme. Albeit with a much slower tempo than "Crazy Little Thing Called Love".

CaroLiza_fan
It's funny you mention that because I always thought it was a cover as well. LOL I often thought it would be great for a Pairs SP - and a Dance RD (depending on the requirements, of course) works, too! As a side note, The Game album that song is on is a really good one!

icewhite

Record Breaker

CaroLiza_fan

I think the Pretender song was a solo work of Mercury... I have always preferred those to almost all Queen songs. :oops:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
When you mentioned that, I was surprised because "The Game," the album that song is on was released in 1980. Perhaps the single was released first?

It's funny you mention that because I always thought it was a cover as well. LOL I often thought it would be great for a Pairs SP - and a Dance RD (depending on the requirements, of course) works, too! As a side note, The Game album that song is on is a really good one!
By chance, I have my 3-disk set of Queen: Greatest Hits beside me, having got it out to listen to after my granddaughter mentioning in our phone call that they'd chosen that song. In the liner booklet, it says for that track: Written by Freddie Mercury, produced by Queen and Mack. Released in the UK in October 1979 from "The Game". Beth did laugh that they were cutting it fine about the date. Perhaps it was released in the next year in other countries, but she lives in Scotland, so that made it under the deadline ;). (The liner note ends: "Written by Freddie while languishing in a bubble bath at the Munich Bayerischerhof Hotel." I would think that would make for a rapid bath. If it were me, I wouldn't be able to help keeping time with the music as I splashed vigorously :party2:.)

The only Queen song I ever skated to was You're My Best Friend. My partner and I used it for a little show number. At his wedding reception, he had the orchestra play it and, with the approval of his new wife, we danced to it in a version adapted to my long dress as a bridesmatron. :love:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I think the Pretender song was a solo work of Mercury... I have always preferred those to almost all Queen songs. :oops:

Of course, you are correct.

That is a mistake I frequently make - forgetting which songs were Freedie's solo work. The only songs that I ever remember were him on his own rather than Queen are "Under Pressure" and "Barcelona", and that is purely due to them being duets (with David Bowie and Montserrat Caballé respectively).

I'll use the excuse that I was very young at the time. :p

(In case you are wondering, I was born between "Living On My Own" and "Love Me Like There's No Tomorrow").

CaroLiza_fan

Weathergal

Medalist
By chance, I have my 3-disk set of Queen: Greatest Hits beside me, having got it out to listen to after my granddaughter mentioning in our phone call that they'd chosen that song. In the liner booklet, it says for that track: Written by Freddie Mercury, produced by Queen and Mack. Released in the UK in October 1979 from "The Game". Beth did laugh that they were cutting it fine about the date. Perhaps it was released in the next year in other countries, but she lives in Scotland, so that made it under the deadline ;). (The liner note ends: "Written by Freddie while languishing in a bubble bath at the Munich Bayerischerhof Hotel." I would think that would make for a rapid bath. If it were me, I wouldn't be able to help keeping time with the music as I splashed vigorously :party2:.)

The only Queen song I ever skated to was You're My Best Friend. My partner and I used it for a little show number. At his wedding reception, he had the orchestra play it and, with the approval of his new wife, we danced to it in a version adapted to my long dress as a bridesmatron. :love:
A-ha! That explains it - I'm in the US. Makes sense they'd release it in UK first.

icewhite

Record Breaker

That is a mistake I frequently make - forgetting which songs were Freedie's solo work. The only songs that I ever remember were him on his own rather than Queen are "Under Pressure" and "Barcelona", and that is purely due to them being duets (with David Bowie and Montserrat Caballé respectively).

(In case you are wondering, I was born between "Living On My Own" and "Love Me Like There's No Tomorrow").

CaroLiza_fan

I only got to know the Mr Bad Guy album through my boyfriend when I was like 18, but I loved it. Barcelona was a huge "hit" in my family when the Barcelona Olympics happened. I was also pretty young then, but it seems I'm very slightly older than you. :biggrin: My mother had a cassette of the Barcelona album. :party2: Cassettes... :rofl: My music suggestions for skaters thread (the one I did not save properly and that was erased as a draft...) included some of his solo songs. I would love to see more skaters skate to his music. I really liked Queen when I was a teenager, but since then I've not been such a big fan, his voice comes to full bloom when he's alone imo.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

CaroLiza_fan
Serves me right for looking up the release dates of those. You're the same age as one of my kids, and not the oldest one either! No wonder I enjoy flying through the air in the rink, dressed in a black catsuit. It's because I'm an old bat, obviously :palmf::drama::slink:

yyzskater

On the Ice
Something I have thought about but never found the answer, so maybe people here will know.

What happens if a team doesn't use the right music to match the theme? For example, if the theme is 80's, and the music they chose is from 1991, what is the penalty, if any? And who makes that call?

Just curious. Especially for this year as "Social Dances" seems very open for interpretation

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Something I have thought about but never found the answer, so maybe people here will know.

What happens if a team doesn't use the right music to match the theme? For example, if the theme is 80's, and the music they chose is from 1991, what is the penalty, if any? And who makes that call?

Just curious. Especially for this year as "Social Dances" seems very open for interpretation
I doubt if they would get as far as competing with the wrong music, usually. The only dance coach I know told me someone came around from Skate Canada (this was about ten years ago) to cast an eye over the progress of skaters before the competitive season began, and told her and one of her dance couples that their music choice wouldn't do. She got other opinions that all agreed, and they just picked new music and started again.

It's possible to put up a defence, though. Wilson and McCall were told one of their programs -- I'm pretty sure it was their Stray Cat Strut -- didn't meet whatever the rules were that year and successfully argued in favour of their choice. I don't recall the details -- I'm sure other ice dance fans know the whole story. I think it was mentioned here a year or two ago.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker

It’s been years since I’ve seen it happen, but there is a “music violation”call judges can make in competition, similar to a costume violation, and if a certain number of judges (3?) all agree then the team will receive a penalty and deduction from their final score. Obviously they’ll also be told the exact problem by the judges afterward.
Iirc Chock and Bates were told that their initial SD for the 2015-16 season had inappropriate music for the Ravensberger Waltz at their first competition of the season and changed it.

Feel free to correct me if I’m misremembering any of this though! Definitely seems that in most cases a high level team would be told their music choice was unacceptable before ever competing.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It happens more often in Juniors, when they are using rather new choreographers.

Oona & Gage Brown got a music requirements penalty for their FD their first year on the JGP for an not having a sufficient change of rhythm. So It does happen from time to time.

It was a whopping -2.00 hit.

They had to make a change in the music before their second event

From their Fan Fest OP:

"FD3: "Still Got the Blues" by Gary Moore; "Parisian Walkways"'by Gary Moore, "Lullaby of the Leaves performed by Beth Hart and Joe Bonamasssa
FD2: "Still Got the Blues" by Gary Moore; "Parisian Walkways"'by Gary Moore; "La Grange" by ZZ Top; "Still Got the Blues"'by Gary Moore; choreo by Andrew Lavrik
FD1: " Still Got the Blues" by Gary Moore; "Parisian Walkways" by Gary Moore;"Still Got the Blues" by Gary Moore; choreo by Andrew Lavrik
* Their FD music changed by US Nationals, since they got a music deduction for it at their first international outing, JGP Kaunas 2018 ."

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Many times it will be dealt with at things like Champs Camp in the US, National camp in Canada (the actual name is escaping me this early in the am), and federation camps for Euro teams etc.

If it doesn't get caught and corrected or caught at all by the first ISU comp, then what @Lamente Ariane and @dorispulaski said, will and should happen.

Also, it's not always due to "new" choreographers. I've seen many a seasoned choreographer make the same errors.

Andrea82

Medalist
It’s been years since I’ve seen it happen, but there is a “music violation”call judges can make in competition, similar to a costume violation, and if a certain number of judges (3?) all agree then the team will receive a penalty and deduction from their final score. Obviously they’ll also be told the exact problem by the judges afterward.
It is when the majority of "judges+referee" call for a music requirements violation.

theblade

On the Ice
There will probably be a lot of discussions refining this year's theme at the ISU dance camps in Oberstdorf. After May 7, things will be done and there will probably be some scuttlebutt about what has been hashed out.

yyzskater

On the Ice
It happens more often in Juniors, when they are using rather new choreographers.

Oona & Gage Brown got a music requirements penalty for their FD their first year on the JGP for an not having a sufficient change of rhythm. So It does happen from time to time.

It was a whopping -2.00 hit.

They had to make a change in the music before their second event

From their Fan Fest OP:

"FD3: "Still Got the Blues" by Gary Moore; "Parisian Walkways"'by Gary Moore, "Lullaby of the Leaves performed by Beth Hart and Joe Bonamasssa
FD2: "Still Got the Blues" by Gary Moore; "Parisian Walkways"'by Gary Moore; "La Grange" by ZZ Top; "Still Got the Blues"'by Gary Moore; choreo by Andrew Lavrik
FD1: " Still Got the Blues" by Gary Moore; "Parisian Walkways" by Gary Moore;"Still Got the Blues" by Gary Moore; choreo by Andrew Lavrik
* Their FD music changed by US Nationals, since they got a music deduction for it at their first international outing, JGP Kaunas 2018 ."
Thanks!

2 points is a big penalty!
There will probably be a lot of discussions refining this year's theme at the ISU dance camps in Oberstdorf. After May 7, things will be done and there will probably be some scuttlebutt about what has been hashed out.
So are teams holding off on choosing RD music until then? Because I can see alot of confusion as to what different choreographers will categorize as a "Social dance" without ISU clarification