Ryan Bradley NEEDS a New LP! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ryan Bradley NEEDS a New LP!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
He's not making fun of classical music. He's having fun with classical music. Check out pianist Victor Borge sometime. He's classically trained (brilliant really) and yet he "goofs off" with the classical pieces... and it's still amazing. It's not because he's making fun of the music - which you can tell he enjoys - he's just having fun with it.

Classical music buffs enjoy PDQ Bach too. A brilliant classical musician is able to have fun with classical music and appeal to its aficionados, like sharing an inside joke. A non-connoisseur's attempt of humor with a high brow subject will easily come across as crude mocking. A skating program needs both exquisite choreography and technical excellence to get away with having fun with classical music, considering many judges are classical music lovers.

Doing it in a show without judges is a different matter, depending on the audience.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Tony pelvic thrusts are different also, they are not the norm in CoP programs either ;) :p
Bradley's LP was well received in North America. I don't think he is liked much in Europe. His this program has been given cold responses last year at the Worlds in Turin, Italy. I don't know about Japan. We can only speculate until then.
Hello, Miss Europe here:), we like Ryan!!! I couldnt find the video in youtube but I will have to disagree with Torino. Ryan as far as I remember had a bad sp and skated in the LP in the anticlimactic group, the first one that had a huge time gap from the rest of competition. Arena was half or even more empty when he skated. Italian crowd is rather warm and cheered different programs like Schultheiss´ also, I m sure a full arena would cheer loud for him. Even as it was I dont remember a cold reaction, and he didnt skate the Lp good as well, so I would say it was a normal reaction, I dont believe anyone would hate a good performance of the program.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Classical music buffs enjoy PDQ Bach too. A brilliant classical musician is able to have fun with classical music and appeal to its aficionados, like sharing an inside joke. A non-connoisseur's attempt of humor with a high brow subject will easily come across as crude mocking. A skating program needs both exquisite choreography and technical excellence to get away with having fun with classical music, considering many judges are classical music lovers.

Doing it in a show without judges is a different matter, depending on the audience.

Very true!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Have you people not seen Amadeus? Ryan is clearly playing the very over-the-top and nelly interpretation of Mozart from that film, which is widely considered a masterpiece.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I did see that movie and liked it very much. Agree that was a masterpiece. But Bradley's performance was different. I like him as a person and an intertainer. But this program was just, like you said, over the top.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I could see Kurt Browning executing a brilliant program of this nature, appealing on different levels. Unfortunately, Ryan Bradley ain't no Kurt Browning.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Browning can probably do everything great, we cant compare them.
But since people react to Ryans program what would be the perfect music for Lp for him that all continents would approve? :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
T. Even as it was I dont remember a cold reaction, and he didnt skate the Lp good as well, so I would say it was a normal reaction, I dont believe anyone would hate a good performance of the program.

Yes, Ryan skated both programs in Italy like a guy skating on a broken foot--in fact he was a guy skating on a broken foot. Neither his performance or the audience's reaction can be predicted from that Worlds performance. However, the TEB French audience was very cold, after Ryan landed his quad combination and did some clowning at the beginning of the program, and Ryan fell apart--he said this in an interview after TEB last year, more or less.

Have you people not seen Amadeus? Ryan is clearly playing the very over-the-top and nelly interpretation of Mozart from that film, which is widely considered a masterpiece.

Evidently not. Either that, or there are a lot of children of Salieri here ;)

I'm wondering if Ryan may go with what he originally seems to have planned originally, to use his Willy Wonka exhibition, Oompah Loompah words and all. (I'm guessing that from an early leakage that his LP would be Willy Wonka, and Ryan saying in his interview that until his mother knocked some sense into him, he was going to play his LP for laughs, "skating to words" and doing illegal things (presumably the hat and the backflips as well as the quad toe). There was no time to finish both the Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy SP and a new LP, but perhaps he may want to finish up doing Willy Wonka for an LP (filtering the words out, and without the hat and backflip and getting enough practice miles on it. Really, Ryan is at this point in 2 months-he could just do a 3T when he decided to go to Nats at all. Last year, he couldn't land a 2A that looked relatively OK. This year he landed 3 triple axels, one with a triple toe. His jumps are fine.

He should consult with somebody who knows whether his Amadeus program would go over well in Japan, if skated well, or whether they would not see the humor in it. If that's OK If he lands 4t3t, 4t, 3A, bonus area-->3A3t, 3Lp, 3S2t2T,3F cleanly, his tech marks will hold him in good stead at Worlds. But that depends on the audience liking him, so if Amadeus would not work with Japanese, he should rethink quickly.

Even with the 4T seq, his base score in the LP was 78.64 (more than Joubert's 1st place program at Euros). Replacing that with 4T3T adds 6.18 to that for 84.80. And he was skating that program in practice successfully. By contrast, Dornbush skating his planned program has a base score of 73.71 at best, Miner 73.17, Mahbanoozadeh 70.39.

Rippon? 67.96 Abbott? 61.00

And that's why Rippon and Abbott are not going to Worlds. Even with GOE of what they did pumped up as high as the judges could make it & their PCS suitably rewarded, and even with Ryan's PCS dinged appropriately, they still couldn't overcome the technical superiority of Ryan in the SP and LP, even given a very flawed skate by Ryan in the LP. Why?

Because 3A's and 4T's are rewarded more this year than last year.

And that's true at Worlds as well.

It's why KvdP finished like 4th at Europeans, a fellow with jumps, and only 69.21 in base value in the LP, finished 4th in the LP at Europeans overall

seniorita

Record Breaker
Oh poor Bradley, he said that for TEB? I said it in mens Lp thread I think that in TEB 2009 his program didnt impress, I was there but i dont remember his skate there at all, was it good or bad? I remember the cold reaction but it was weird competition in general with Joubert´s bad skate, I dont remember if anyone stood out , other than Yuna. Nevertheless I dont want to generalize if he is acepted in Europe or Japan, I think it is a matter of day and arena and audience and not the country in so big events. Plus judges will be from everywhere.
I had forgotten about Worlds that he had the injured foot, I uploaded his skate, the skate is not so good indeed but the crowd seems supportive to me.

Willy Wonka would have been a great Lp, wow, I didnt know that. Maybe he will launch it at worlds!

Seriously, if any of you paid to see the competition, would you want to see a parody of Mozart's music without a quad and choppy flow with lots of posing? If so, Ryan's your man. If not, well maybe you take championships more seriously. Would it be ok if Czisny did a comedy routine for her LP?

Ryan will meet his rival for comedy with Amodio. Maybe Joubert or even Dornbush may win over both of them.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Seriously, if any of you paid to see the competition, would you want to see a parody of Mozart's music without a quad and choppy flow with lots of posing? If so, Ryan's your man. If not, well maybe you take championships more seriously. Would it be ok if Czisny did a comedy routine for her LP?

Ryan will meet his rival for comedy with Amodio. Maybe Joubert or even Dornbush may win over both of them.

What's wrong with comedy, Joe? The cool thing about skating is within a group of six skaters, you can see six different styles (thanks to the current system, however, that has gone by the wayside). Ryan is as different as night and day with skaters like Adam Rippon. It's nice for fans of skating, and even judges to be able to watch a comedic program and a dramatic program in the same flight. It doesn't make one a weaker or stronger skater-- that's where the technical elements come in. Also, it's harder, believe it or not for a "dramatic" performer to perform comedy, rather than the other way around--case in point, check out Jim Carey.

In life, all of us, at one time or another, wear the mask of comedy and tragedy. Let Ryan be comedic.

wallylutz

Medalist
Even with GOE of what they did pumped up as high as the judges could make it & their PCS suitably rewarded, and even with Ryan's PCS dinged appropriately, they still couldn't overcome the technical superiority of Ryan in the SP and LP, even given a very flawed skate by Ryan in the LP. Why?

Because 3A's and 4T's are rewarded more this year than last year.

:confused:

You really believe Ryan's PCS in the LP was appropriately dinged?

SS = 7.32 (incl. three 7.75)
TR = 6.50 (as high as 7.5)
PE = 7.71 :unsure: (as high as 8.75)
CH = 7.39
IN = 7.75

Sorry Doris, I had to ask you to clarify on this statement because I am still having trouble seeing how Ryan ended up with these PCS which in my opinion, is the biggest controversy in the men's event, more so than Abbott not being picked for the World team or that Ryan's 1st Quad wasn't given < or <<.

So if you could please help me with these marks, I would appreciate your take given you were there in person.

Thanks

What's wrong with comedy, Joe? The cool thing about skating is within a group of six skaters, you can see six different styles (thanks to the current system, however, that has gone by the wayside). Ryan is as different as night and day with skaters like Adam Rippon. It's nice for fans of skating, and even judges to be able to watch a comedic program and a dramatic program in the same flight. It doesn't make one a weaker or stronger skater-- that's where the technical elements come in. Also, it's harder, believe it or not for a "dramatic" performer to perform comedy, rather than the other way around--case in point, check out Jim Carey.

In life, all of us, at one time or another, wear the mask of comedy and tragedy. Let Ryan be comedic.
Blue Dog - to each his own. I am not going to enjoy comedy at a competition nor would I want to see it in other championship sports. Maybe at a Gala if I got myself to watchin Galas.

I can be amused by Ryan but he is no Jim Carey.

Hopefully Ryan, Florent, Nobunari, Joubert and Chan skate their best and check out how the judges will appreciate the comedy in the PC scores. The Tokyo audience is very gracious to all contestants, and may understand the humor on Ryan's program. I just question the judges.

Ryan's program absolutely needs those two quads at the beginning. Then after he has set the tone by showing that he really can skate seriously if he wants to, the comedy goes down smoothly.

But if he misses, he's like a comedian whose first two jokes bomb. He's just stuck there with egg on his face and nothing to do but wade into the rest of his material wishing he could find a trap door in the stage to fall through.

I thought it was to Ryan's credit that, after a disastrous start, he was able able to right the ship and little by little get the audience -- and the judges -- on his side after all.

blair

Rinkside
I think Ryan's interpretation surpasses what could be seen as a credible competitive depiction of Mozart, no matter how broadly you interpret it.

He made a hand-gun gestures and winked among some new, lets call them, "ornamentations" to his routine. I found Sunday's program more of a gay-spoof of the classical era and slightly insulting as a gay person. Last year's routine was much more restrained and palatable.

He needs a new program.

I didn't take it as a gay spoof at all. I thought he was making fun of stereotypical foppish dandies of the European courts in Morzart's time.

seniorita

Record Breaker
^
And to get into the role and be taken more seriously he should wear Witt´s costume of 1983. Witt was told off by ISU that this is a men ´ s costume. :)