Sarah Hughes Today | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sarah Hughes Today

euterpe

Medalist
The pink thing is horrible because it is dowdy and yes, it does not FIT her! Not only does the material strain around her stomach, but the flounces on the skirt make her hips look about 4 inches bigger than they already are. She would have looked very elegant if she had worn a simple black dress with maybe a small scarf to add a little color and bring out the blue in her eyes.

There have been times in my life when I was quite heavy, but I knew how to dress so that my weight wasn't the first thing that people noticed. You'd never find a bright-colored sleeveless dress with flounces around the hips in my closet, not even now that I'm back to a size 8!

Last edited:

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I think she looks just like any other average American college student. And if I went from working out for 4 hours 6 days a week to little or no exercise I'm sure I'd gain weight too. I don't think she's overweight at all, she's just not in the competitive shape that we're used to seeing her in. And I think the pink outfit is cute on her.

BTW that pic with the elephant is cute.

guinevere

Final Flight
euterpe said:
Come on, now Linny. Look at the picture in the original post. No self-respecting college student would mop the floor with that pink thing, let alone wear it! It looks like something my mother would have worn to clean house in.
I see plenty of high school and college students (I live on the same block as a high school, and work on a college campus, both in a "hip" part of town with lots of 20-somethings abound) wearing outfits that are at least that hideous. Also, I see many young women wearing outfits that don't fit well. Even skinny little girls insist these days on cramming their non-existent booties into tight outfits that make them look like they are overweight.

I think Sarah looks like any college student, and she looks great!

guinevere

ouridol

On the Ice
I'd say she's gained her freshman 15, but she still looks happy and healthy, and that's all that matters.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Unfortunately, that ghastly pink outfit sarah was wearing is actually VERY FASHIONABLE. The 80's style of ruffled skirts and technicolor fabrics is back in a huge way. People are even wearing those wretched jelly sandals again.

Here is a page from urban outfitters, so you can see how widespread this 80's/cosby fashion revolution is.... ICK I cant wait for it to end. That and low rise jeans... but dont get me started on that

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/jump.jsp?itemID=22&itemType=CATEGORY&iMainCat=10&iSubCat=22

heyang

Record Breaker
I agree with GardenKitty about the weight gain after reducing excercise so drastically. When I stopped commuting to NYC and walking at least 45 minutes a day, I ended up just walking from the car to my desk, which means about 10 minutes of walking a day. I gained 15 pounds in a one year period and haven't been able to get rid of it all. Also, gaining weight during freshman year is pretty common - thanks to the late night study-foodfests, etc.

I think the Fashion Police do need to be called in or the folks from What Not To Wear. Just because something's in fashion doesn't mean that everyone should wear it. I really don't think it's attractive for someone heavy to wear a shirt that doesn't cover their belly (mine included and with reference to no one in particular). Lots of fashion trends are started by people who are underweight, excercise to stay toned and/or are genetically fortunate - their body types are the exception rather than the rule. People should really dress in clothing that compliments them even if they aren't the most trendy.

She does look happy and that 's a good thing.

Last edited:

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Longhornliz said:
The 80's style of ruffled skirts and technicolor fabrics is back in a huge way. People are even wearing those wretched jelly sandals again.

My motto is that if I wore it the first time around, I'm not wearing it again!

The problem with those skirts is that they only look good (okay, aren't unflattering - I think they all look bad.) on people with narrow hips. Even when Sarah was skating, she didn't have narrow hips - it's just not her build.

It does look like she gained the Freshman 15. I can empathize. The girl not only had first year college to content with, she went from working out like an elite athlete to a significantly less active lifestyle (I'm assuming.). Also, I wonder if maintaining her skating weight affected her metabolism. Her Oly body didn't look like one that was easy for her to maintain. It is possible that trying to keep at her competitive weight affected her metabolism which is now trying to get back to normal. Pure speculation on my part.

Anyway, it is a little surprising to me to see the weight gain. After being so body-conscious, it surprises me that she doesn't appear to be anymore. I remember reading or hearing Peggy talking about still working hard to stay thin. Not that Sarah isn't thin. Anyway, more power to her. She looks comfortable in her own skin, and that is wonderful.

lavender

Record Breaker
It must be weird to see Sarah about 20+ lbs bigger. I think that we just need some time to get over the fact that Sarah looks different. It still throws me. She's been changing since the Olympics but it still throws me. I think we're use to seeing skaters like Kristi or even Peggy stay near their skating weight.

soogar

Record Breaker
tharrtel:
I was thinking along the same lines when I saw her weight gain. At the Olympics, she was actually severely underweight and it looked like she was fighting to keep her weight low. You could see the weight gain in Nationals 2003. However she needs to watch it because speaking from experience, the pounds just pile on. I don't think Sarah is fat, she's certainly normal and perhaps the photo is adding too much weight. However she looked normal last year at nationals and she weighed less. If the weight gain continues, she might be 200 pounds before too long. Don't laugh b/c I've been close to that weight and it just creeps on you and you don't even think about it until it's too late and then it's a bitc& to come off.

ITA with the fact that it must be really hard to go from getting all of your exercise from something that is fun to do and then having to go to the gym. However Sarah should stay within a normal healthy weight just to perhaps keep her options open. She might want to take a year off before going to med school and make some money from touring like Debi Thomas.

ATW27

On the Ice
Just wanted to add my two cents...
From the photos, yes, I'd say it looks like Sarah has filled out a little (noticably in the hips and stomach), and yes, at first it may be hard to recognize her. But two things: 1) I think she still looks great; then again, I feel she allways does. I like the longer hair, although I'm not 100% crazy about the blonde color. And the taste in clothes seem fine to me. But more importantly is my second point, and that is I think Sarah is happy with who see is. At the end of the day, isn't that want matters most? She's no doubt enjoying life. I continue to admire her. More power to her!

Andy W.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Why is it ok to discuss her weight?

I am offended by these slams. Are we all here that thin? Georgeous? Have great hair, Good taste? And BTW, how many of us have Oly Gold FS medals at 16 and attend Harvard or Yale?

Is no one else tired of this obsession? Or are we all 15 here in this thread. Give her a break, please.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Re: Why is it ok to discuss her weight?

Bijoux said:
I am offended by these slams. Are we all here that thin? Georgeous? Have great hair, Good taste? And BTW, how many of us have Oly Gold FS medals at 16 and attend Harvard or Yale?

Is no one else tired of this obsession? Or are we all 15 here in this thread. Give her a break, please.

Why not you give Kwan a break in another thread? Which specifically addressed to Kwan fans. Or because she has been winning so much against your favoraters? Or simply anyone but Kwan (a la kwan hate) attitude?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bijoux

Match Penalty
M ZHENG

First, I realize you are not a native English speaker. I have no "favorators" (its "favorites" btw) and I am seriously commenting on Michelle's skating abilities and her long time lack of preparedness and her wins, making her think and some fans she is competitive with the likes of the present Shizuka, when she was NOT COMPETITIVE technically with Sarah or Irina in 2002 nor Tara in 1998! This is 2004 and Turino is 2006! As for "breaks," Michelle has had more good breaks, besides her talents, than any skater I can name. In my book most medals does not = finest skaters. The older you get and more you see, you see greatness in many skaters, and you see ones undermarked constantly as well as overmarked. So I tend to put higher marks towards the artistic abilities.

For example,

I agree with Button that Sasha despite her mistakes is awesome in so many skill areas, and she has overall the best presentation. If presentation were the only aspect, she'd be number 1 in my book. I am no kid, don't have a favorite female skater. Paul is among my favorite male skaters in my lifetime.

That said, Did I rip Michelle's outfits, hair, weight, etc? Esp. an off ice picture! I am stating how I see her and her position in the ISU/ USFSA. I have loved many 'Michelle' moments.

Your assumption I hate Michelle is absurd and immature. Maybe you are 13, in which case I'll give you a break. Sarah has to sit a lot now to get through the college courses. She has chosen a very difficult education which I could not master, though I have an idea from my own experience. Sarah has been a great role model, and it is very bad we have a lot of girls and elders apparently who are obsessed with other people's weight. This is not helping young girls and women go forward together.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Re: M ZHENG

Bijoux said:

Your assumption I hate Michelle is absurd and immature. Maybe you are 13, in which case I'll give you a break. Sarah has to sit a lot now to get through the college courses. She has chosen a very difficult education which I could not master, though I have an idea from my own experience. Sarah has been a great role model, and it is very bad we have a lot of girls and elders apparently who are obsessed with other people's weight. This is not helping young girls and women go forward together.

Yeah, you are mature enough to intrude the thread specifically address to MK fans to make a dig in Michelle. :rolleye:

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
lavender said:
It must be weird to see Sarah about 20+ lbs bigger. I think that we just need some time to get over the fact that Sarah looks different. It still throws me. She's been changing since the Olympics but it still throws me. I think we're use to seeing skaters like Kristi or even Peggy stay near their skating weight.
Kristi had a baby and just zipped right back to her pre-maternal shape, which is basically the same as when she won the OGM! For those of us who can eat a cookie and then gain a pound walking home from the store, I am filled with a psychotic urge to plan her death. :laugh: I sympathize with Sarah because I know just how easy it is to get that way.

Sarah's pink dress, however, HAS TO GO! Someone burn it quick, before Shizuka borrows it for her costume next season! :laugh:

Last edited:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
soogar said:
Kateri:
It's almost like when that Miss Universe gained all that weight (one of those pageants) and the Donald made her go to a fat farm (I don't remember the whole story, I think they were talking about taking away her crown) b/c people expected to see a model thin woman.

She didn't look bad in this shot from January '04.
http://www.dianesrink.com/sarah/gallery/sarahspics/04stpaul2.html

That was back in 1996- Miss Puerto Rico (her first name was Denisse...I know that much)

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
chuckm said:
Here's Sarah at the AAU banquet for the Amateur Athlete of the Year.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/040414/483/nyjj10104140114

If the caption didn't say it was her, I would never have recognized her!

OMG! That looks like one of those bad dresses ice dance is famous for! Someone get rid of it before Barbara Fusar-Poli, or Elena Gruschina get a hold of it!

The guy (Michael Phelps) reminds me a lot of Matt Savoie.