Sasha ... a question mark for Worlds? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Sasha ... a question mark for Worlds?

R.D.

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
I think the one thing that hurts Tara (but won't affect Sasha any where near as much) is that Tara got built up during her skating days as "the youngest ever .___ [OGM, World Champ, etc.]" Tara has to "turn people around" to make them see her as an adult (which is extra hard for her, since she isn't seen publicly as much as she was when she was skating), whereas Sasha doesn't have this problem to the same extent.

Good point. I never thought of that. Plus, you see her on shows like 7th Heaven...hardly anything to crow about. :laugh:

Lanie

On the Ice
A friend of mine saw Sasha at her rink today and talked with her. She looks very focused and is working hard. So she's definitely heading out to Calgary ASAP! :)

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Lanie said:
A friend of mine saw Sasha at her rink today and talked with her. She looks very focused and is working hard. So she's definitely heading out to Calgary ASAP! :)

That's awesome news! Thanks for the update! :)

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
Ladies who are 5'2" or under are the best height to do freestyle. As actresses, it's better at least 5'4".
As other people said this world is the best chance for Sasha to get the world gold title. Nest year, Yu-Na Kim, Mao, Kimmie and that Georgian girl all have very goood chance to get the gold.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Lanie said:

Don't know how much stock to put into this statement, but I guess I can take your word for it. Then again, maybe she doesn't want anyone to know what's really going on- wouldn't be shocked.

I'm hoping Lainie is correct. I think Sasha's eligibility is coming to its end with so much opening up for her. It would be nice if Sasha goes out with a Worlds Gold Medal. She is capable of it and her top rivals will not be there.

GO SASHA!!

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joesitz said:
I'm hoping Lainie is correct. I think Sasha's eligibility is coming to its end with so much opening up for her. It would be nice if Sasha goes out with a Worlds Gold Medal. She is capable of it and her top rivals will not be there.
GO SASHA!!Joe
I agree Joe unless Sasha wants the Olympic gold more!!

Dee

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Since I'm not convinced that Sasha will stick around until 2010, I hope she has not only a great showing at Worlds but wins. Her main competition will be Fumie, who is definately clutch, but if this is her time ~ then this is the best opportunity to prove it.

For me, however, the biggest question is: what will she do if she doesn't win Worlds this year? Retire? Compete? Skate over to Speedy & kick him in the shins? These are the answers I'm looking for .... We should have better insight within the next week...

R.D.

Record Breaker
If she doesn't win or has to pull out: I think she might stay another year. I really do think she wants that World Championship.

If she wins: might decide that four years for a marginal shot at gold isn't worth it and move on to bigger and better things

ikfan

Rinkside
gold medal value

Is there less value for winning Worlds in an Olympic year? It's known not many of the gold medalists show up. I know gold is gold but there seems to be a less than "the best" when you win in Olympic years. It is the best of the ones who show up kind of thing.

R.D.

Record Breaker
No one seemed to hold it on Irina when she won in 2002 (but then again, MK, another olympic medalist, was there).

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Sasha's status as a silver medalist at least establishes that she is pretty good as against the rest of the world. She has a stronger competitive history than Yuka Sato -- and I don't know of too many people who denigrate her title because none of the Oly ladies medalists competed in '94.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, basically a World championship is a World championship. If the top competitors don't want to show up, they may as well just not exist.

I don't even hear of too many people devaluing SC's first National championships because Kwan wasn't there.

If the winner can skate really well, well enough to win even if her competitors WERE there, there will be no asterisk.

Sort of like a win is a win...

R.D.

Record Breaker
flying camel said:
I hope she will be okay and is able to compete. Without Cohen, what a sad Worlds it will be.

I don't think it would be sad. Just no Olympic star power, that's all. And lower skaters will have a chance to move up into the top ten and Medals.

Someone reported on Sashafans that she ran into her at the rink and saw her train and claims she looks alright. So maybe it's a go after all?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, you know...

anyway, thanks for clarifying, and the "thin" thing we've heard 10 gazillion times already.