Sasha ... a question mark for Worlds? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Sasha ... a question mark for Worlds?

mzheng

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Well, you know...

anyway, thanks for clarifying, and the "thin" thing we've heard 10 gazillion times already.
MS diddn't saw her gazillion times. So this time she made point to see for herself if she really is that 'flat' like others told her. :p

Relax, RD. I'm one prefer 'thin' than 'fat' as far as skater goes. I've defended Sasha 'thinny' if not gazillion but million times. :p

Dee4707 said:
I agree Joe unless Sasha wants the Olympic gold more!!

Dee
I guess and I emphasize guess, Dee that Sasha will give this Worlds one more chance. After that, win or lose gold, she will look at what else can she do in life. She has a name in skating and could make money in either COI or SOI at the drop of a button, but then she comes from wealth so money would not be a strong reason for remaining eligible. I think after going back to Nicks, her attitude about skating has changed. It's much more focused on improving than winning, and for me, her skating has changed for the better, accordingly. She's at her peak right now. Peaks can only last as long as there is motivation. We don't know the motivation at this point in her life, but the result of Worlds will be time to consider alternatives. She is a very talented lady with many options for success other than skating.

Not to put her down, but I can't see her being as competitive as all those young tykes coming up from juniors. So again, I am guessing about 2010 - that's such a long time away for keeping up one's motivation.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I guess and I emphasize guess, Dee that Sasha will give this Worlds one more chance. After that, win or lose gold, she will look at what else can she do in life. She has a name in skating and could make money in either COI or SOI at the drop of a button, but then she comes from wealth so money would not be a strong reason for remaining eligible. I think after going back to Nicks, her attitude about skating has changed. It's much more focused on improving than winning, and for me, her skating has changed for the better, accordingly. She's at her peak right now. Peaks can only last as long as there is motivation. We don't know the motivation at this point in her life, but the result of Worlds will be time to consider alternatives. She is a very talented lady with many options for success other than skating.

Not to put her down, but I can't see her being as competitive as all those young tykes coming up from juniors. So again, I am guessing about 2010 - that's such a long time away for keeping up one's motivation.

Joe

ITA. She never struck me as someone who REALLY enjoyed competing, anyway.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You only had to see her face before the Olympic FS to see how much Sasha doesn't enjoy competing. She looked as if she was going to an execution.

I agree that she will most likely pack it in after Worlds.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, although I agree with the "doesn't enjoy competing" part, with all due respect, I think ANYONE would have looked like that if they had the kind of warm up she had. She was just falling all over the place. One just can't put on a happy face after that.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
By 2010 and Vancouver, the years of wear and tear will have caught up with Sasha. I think she will either retire after this season or stick around for one more year at the most, perhaps using it as a transition period. A Worlds Gold would be a great addition to her resume, but with an Olympic Silver, a U.S. National title and two World Silvers, her credentials are well-set. Perhaps she could skate with COI or SOI for part of the year to keep her skills sharp, then block out specific times for media projects.

I hope Sasha has a great skate and wins the Gold in Calgary.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
chuckm said:
You only had to see her face before the Olympic FS to see how much Sasha doesn't enjoy competing. She looked as if she was going to an execution.

Well Chuckm, I would have to disagree with you. I think all the eligible skaters get some enjoyment out of competing, ottherwise why do it?

As far as Sasha goes who knows what happened to her in the previous 2 days from her short program to her long. Lots of things could have been disturbing to her such as maybe her mother was mean to her, maybe Mr. Nicks chewed her out, maybe one of her cats died, maybe she got a call from her boyfriend that upset her, who knows. Poor little Sasha, giver her a break.

Dee

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Well, the fact is she's not a world champion or an Olympic champion. This doesn't mean she's not accomplished, though- you don't have to be a champion to be accomplished. That's what you fans don't seem to quite get when comments like these are made. Silver is by no means a failure, but the fact remains that with the exception of 2006 Nats, she hasn't been able to put two and two together when the Moment of Truth has arrived.

About the Sashafans thing- I go to fan-specific boards for the news- they often get news on the skaters before GS, FSU, etc. do.

Well the fact is Cohen is the U.S. reigning National Ladies Champion. Why is this so hard for you to accept??? She's a Champion. The Olympics come around just once every four years and Kwan IMO the greatest female skater of her generation was unable to grasp that elusive Golden ring. Same with Browning, and many others.

I still cannot wrap my mind around people who dismiss being second to all but one in the World-in any sport. It is a huge accomplishment.

There are 'Champions' at all levels and competitions.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
chuckm said:

You wouldn't be putting on a happy face either after crashing all of your jumps in warm ups. I remember Scott Hamilton saying he couldn't 'find his center' at a Pro competition I think it was in Moscow many years ago. My memory is a little shaky but I think he crashed, or missed every single one of his jumps. Would you say Scott doesn't enjoy competing because of a bad day at the office? That's what happened to Sasha. She just lost the height on her jumps at the worst possible moment.

I don't believe any top level athlete doesn't love competing. It makes no sense.

R.D.

Record Breaker
ladysarahchatto said:
Well the fact is Cohen is the U.S. reigning National Ladies Champion. Why is this so hard for you to accept??? She's a Champion. The Olympics come around just once every four years and Kwan IMO the greatest female skater of her generation was unable to grasp that elusive Golden ring. Same with Browning, and many others.

I still cannot wrap my mind around people who dismiss being second to all but one in the World-in any sport. It is a huge accomplishment.

There are 'Champions' at all levels and competitions.

I'm not dismissing being second...I think you missed the brunt of my comment. I'll quote it again- in bold:

This doesn't mean she's not accomplished, though- you don't have to be a champion to be accomplished. That's what you fans don't seem to quite get when comments like these are made. Silver is by no means a failure, but the fact remains that with the exception of 2006 Nats, she hasn't been able to put two and two together when the Moment of Truth has arrived.

Also- I agree with your second post. Sometimes it's just not your day. Unfortunately for Cohen it came on Olympic Night.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Ogre Mage said:
By 2010 and Vancouver, the years of wear and tear will have caught up with Sasha. I think she will either retire after this season or stick around for one more year at the most, perhaps using it as a transition period. A Worlds Gold would be a great addition to her resume, but with an Olympic Silver, a U.S. National title and two World Silvers, her credentials are well-set. Perhaps she could skate with COI or SOI for part of the year to keep her skills sharp, then block out specific times for media projects.

I think that you are right. Sasha has already said that she can only think of Vancouver "if her body holds out", and, she has had repeated back problems (missing Nats in '01 and the GP in '04/'05.)

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Cohen's New Journal Entry-She's On To Worlds

It seems whatever alleged injuries she may or may not have had according to 'sources' it isn't keeping Cohen from Worlds:

Her new journal is up- 'On to Worlds':
http://www.sashacohen.com/journal.shtml

I'm curious as to what 'appearances' she declined to train for Worlds. She seems to be quite a disciplined person.

R.D.

Record Breaker
ladysarahchatto said:
It seems whatever alleged injuries she may or may not have had according to 'sources' it isn't keeping Cohen from Worlds:

Her new journal is up- 'On to Worlds':
http://www.sashacohen.com/journal.shtml

Well, whatever then I suppose. But there's still another week...and three programs left to go. Also, just because she doesn't SAY something about it doesn't mean all is good.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Perhaps the injury rumors had some truth-she has an injury to deal with and after a week off, she didn't bounce back as quickly as she would have liked, thereby shortening training time. Maybe she's not 100%, but I'm sure she'll do whatever she can to get to Worlds. I wouldn't be surprised if the rumor was also a media ploy by World Champ. organizers to keep our interest. Has there been any other publlished speculation beside that one article?

Regardless, we'll see how she holds up!

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Well, whatever then I suppose. But there's still another week...and three programs left to go. Also, just because she doesn't SAY something about it doesn't mean all is good.

Well whatever? You seem disappointed that Cohen is going to Worlds after all-or isn't injured enough not to. Yes, I know you were all but accused of that on the Sasha board and I should hope not-but with your constant negative posts about Cohen in this thread it makes one wonder at times. Anyway that is the strange sense I am getting from your remarks.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm just a little skeptical over all these conflicting reports, that's all. But if SHE says she's going, that's the word I'm going to take. Still, there have been reports stating otherwise.

I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, but just think...if the Worlds had no Olympic medallists....it would be a TRUE toss up for gold!

Vash01

Medalist
Red Dog said:
I'm just a little skeptical over all these conflicting reports, that's all. But if SHE says she's going, that's the word I'm going to take. Still, there have been reports stating otherwise.

I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, but just think...if the Worlds had no Olympic medallists....it would be a TRUE toss up for gold!

I don't think it's a toss up at all. Sasha has no competition at this point, just like at the US nationals and Campbells. She would be foolish not to go when she could win even if she is just 50 percent fit. If she is training, it means she is reasonably fit (more than 50 percent, IMO). The only report I ever read came from Canada, expressing concern that she may not be there. I did not read anything else to support it, so I have assumed throughout that she will be at worlds (and she is, it seems).

Vash

R.D.

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
I don't think it's a toss up at all. Sasha has no competition at this point

which is exactly the point I just made. ;) Still, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. Remember how Irina seemed unbeatable...I will not count ANYONE out.

Vash01

Medalist
Red Dog said:
which is exactly the point I just made. ;) Still, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. Remember how Irina seemed unbeatable...I will not count ANYONE out.

OOPS! I misread your comment- the 'if' part.

Vash

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Red Dog said:

Okay then.

I am already extremely disappointed so many top skaters aren't going to Worlds-in all disciplines. I like Sasha alot but I want COMPETITION not just a cake walk. Frankly I don't think it will be. Fumie and Joanne should not be under estimated and I believe Eleni from Georgia may be a dark horse.