Senior Men SP | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Senior Men SP

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Now that I think about it, Max did get one. I think I need to go to bed now. Going to try to catch the men's practice tomorrow!

And before I sleep for two hours, here's a Team Brown photo, courtesy of our friends at @BOS2014 Twitter account:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BOS2014/status/421833140466757633/photo/1

Boston 2014
@BOS2014
If you see members of Team Brown walking around- say hi! They're super friendly! #boston2014 pic.twitter.com/s70LcO0uQh
9:37pm - 10 Jan 14

Thanks on both counts, Mrs. P. :)
Happy that the crowd appreciated Max. :yay: And the Team Brown shirts look cool. :cool:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VIDEO ROUND-UP

ETA:
Here's a better version of just Dornbush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=N0mrbJ0EgME#t=391

The old frozen version is first, but the link above is to the point in the video where they replayed the skate and it's clear. No freezing at the split jump.

For anyone interested in seeing men not included above, @HBladesHPassion has tweeted VIDEO links to the FULL Men's SP. I have not tried them, but FYI:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've copied and pasted below the remaining schedule for Ice Desk panel discussions. (All times are Eastern. Schedule is subject to change.)
Saturday, Jan. 11
• Prior to the ladies free skate at approximately 6:45 p.m.
• Following the ladies free skate at approximately 11:00 p.m.​
Sunday, Jan. 12
• Prior to the men's free skate at approximately 12:30 p.m.
• Following the men's free skate at approximately 4:55 p.m.​
Source: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/01/02/66219676/2014-us-championships-viewers-guide

I forgot to say earlier that the link on Friday for the live Ice Desk stuff (plus other IN "backstage" offerings) was:

My hunch is that the same link will be used on Saturday and Sunday -- but I am not 100% sure.

ranjake

Final Flight
Thanks Mrs. P-love hearing your thoughts and observations. I had happy tears all through Jeremy's skate, like a giant dork :)

Thank you Golden 411 for clarifying the remaining schedule and icedesk times :)

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
If Jeremy would put out programs like this more consistently he would definitely challenge Chan and the Japanese for the top spot. Just amazing!

Kelisiting

Rinkside
If Jeremy would put out programs like this more consistently he would definitely challenge Chan and the Japanese for the top spot. Just amazing!

Jeremy's always had the talent. It just never seemed to come together internationally. But I'm hoping he will make the team and then just enjoy his Olympics experience.

I love Ross Miner, so i'm sad to see him so far out of the mix. But I hope he rebounds to have a good free skate even though the podium is pretty far away at this point.

Based on last night though its up to Jason Brown, Jeremy Abbott, Max Aaron (not ruling him out yet), and Dornbush. Dornbush is such a wild card though. This is the first time he's made the short program happen, so I am wondering how the pressure of being chased for a change in the free skate will affect him. But I could be happy with any of the above for the team. Its a shame we don't have that third spot :(

Dots

Final Flight
For anyone interested in seeing men not included above, @HBladesHPassion has tweeted VIDEO links to the FULL Men's SP. I have not tried them, but FYI:

They do work beautifully. Thank you for the link to the entire competition :agree:

Awww I enjoyed Razzano's SP. Even with the mistake, this was [by far] the best choreographed program he has ever had. He himself was packaged very nice, no ugly gloves or ugly haircut.

Stephen Carriere, Adam Rippon, Ross Miner were heartbreaking, and so was Mroz! Ugh i'm not ready so say goodbye to them... :(

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Are you absolutely nuts? 4 quads? Two of them being quad lutzes?

It would be nuts if Adam doesn't go all out and hope for half of them to stick.
You think even 2 quads at this point can land him on the podium?

He has nothing to lose. Why not double down and go for it? Doesn't take a genius to realize if he play safe he will be in 7th or 8th place.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Adam missing his quad in the SP may be a blessing in disguise.. Adam understands that he is amazing and can rise tomorrow.. Amazing Rippon will show up tomorrow and will make that Olympics twosome.

It would be nuts if Adam doesn't go all out and hope for half of them to stick.
You think even 2 quads at this point can land him on the podium?

He has nothing to lose. Why not double down and go for it? Doesn't take a genius to realize if he play safe he will be in 7th or 8th place.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Adam missing his quad in the SP may be a blessing in disguise.. Adam understands that he is amazing and can rise tomorrow.. Amazing Rippon will show up tomorrow and will make that Olympics twosome.

If Adam thinks it is a blessing in disguise, time to get some professional help with delusion.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ I agree. I don't think any skater in his/her right mind would think it is a blessing in disguise to bury yourself in a hole placing 6th after the SP and have to make up a 15 point deficit from 2nd place when there are only 2 Olympic spots available. To quote Scott Hamilton, I would consider it more of a "nightmare covered in molasses" for a skater in that position.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Agreed. I really like his style and want him to win a medal or title but I just would rather se someone who is more consistent medal first maybe that is why I cheered for Susan Lucci to win an emmy she was consistentlhy excellent and then to be beaten by someone who was a one shot wonder or just skated their best well I know that is life still it doesn't seem all that right.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Re streaming of NBC coverage:

NBC Sports Live Extra, NBC Sports Group’s live streaming product for desktops, mobile devices, and tablets, will stream NBC’s coverage of U.S. Figure Skating Championships competition. For desktops, NBC Sports Live Extra can be accessed at NBCSports.com/liveextra. The NBC Sports Live Extra app for mobile devices and tablets is available at the App Store for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, and on select Android handset and tablet devices within Google Play.
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...-s-figure-skating-championships-this-weekend/

Mea culpa.
I think I said in this thread or another that NBC's coverage would be only televised, and not streamed. But now I can't find my incorrect post(s). If I find it/them, I will edit accordingly.
Please forgive my ignorance.

Caveats, per http://stream.nbcsports.com/liveextra/about.html
- For those in the U.S. only.
- Cable, satellite or telco TV subscription required.​

Here's a better version of just Dornbush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=N0mrbJ0EgME#t=391

The old frozen version is first, but the link above is to the point in the video where they replayed the skate and it's clear. No freezing at the split jump.

Thx, Chem66. :) I've added your new Dornbush link to the video list in post #182 above.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
What a happy day for me. Can't imagine Jeremy's feelings. He must have worked really hard, which he says in Tanith Belbin's interview. And Tanith was the person who told Jeremy to skate to Pina. Jeremy had it arranged and then was contacted by the composer(didn't get the name) who had it remixed over christmas. Says he has had night mares about his short program. Still he nailed it. Great interesting interview. He seems so relaxed. Best of all he says he doesn't feel scared going out there anymore :yay:

Love Jeremy's performance. Jason was also awesome. I can enjoy Max sometimes, but not this time. My mistake was to watch him after watching Jeremy :laugh: Impressed by Dornbush, big jumps and cool program. Still my dream team for Sochi is J&J.

Jeremy's score sheet is a beauty. So "clean". I've copied and saved it. All level 4 on steps and spins. 16.54 for quad toe+triple toe loop. Only positive GOE.

Happy for Yuka as well :love: She is so lovely sitting there proud and nice looking in K&C. She must have bee frustrated many times over Jeremy. Lucky Jeremy to have such a patient coach.

Thanks miraiforlife, us legal alien foreigners are counting on you! Though “US Championship Final Groups on NBC to decide US Olympic Spots” will certainly have… quite the audience, on live streams as well, so I fear there will be some considerable freezing going on… :unsure:

As long as there is hope :) Men's free skate is at about 19 central european time I think. Hoping for a great figure skating Sunday evening.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Wow, that was pretty awesome!
-) I have rarely ever seen such a huge, butterily landed (loved that expression I read here earlier!) 4S as Dornbush’s. Wow.
I have a question though: The single jump should be preceded by connecting steps. There was not even the hint of any connecting steps before that jump.
I mean, “National Inflation” or “message to the skater that they like him” or “message to the skater that they don’t like him” aside, there has to be some guidelines for the judges to follow, right?
2 judges gave him GOEs of +3. He also got 1x -1; 1x 0 and 2x +1.
For the jump itself, I’d for sure give +3 GOE, even if it wasn’t a National Championship. How much do I have to deduct for not even trying to do any (required) connecting steps? How is +3 even “legal”? (they can’t say sth like “I deduct -2 from a +5”!)

-) I read here that apparently, Adam Rippon is or was sick. That would explain him dropping his quad. But if he’s sick, shouldn’t he rather ask for a bye and the possibility to have a test skate when he’s healthy? (I make a difference between a 1 week flu just not allowing him to perform compared to a serious longer term injury)
I mean, this SP should have shown the judges what to expect if they did send him to the Olympics. Without even attempting a quad, his message was “hey, send me, and I’ll finish around top 15 if I’m clean! This lack of attempting a quad deprived him from the bonus a skater would get that “they wanted to go”… Besides his lower TES, he didn’t get the boost in PCS of the federation’s fave. He got less than Max Aaron! (and Abbott and Dornbush and Brown) He barely beat Miner in PCS by 0.3, who’s 8th! I’d agree that Rippon was stiff and not nearly as convincing as he’s been on the GPs this season, but that never stopped them from “helping someone out” by boosting his scores… What happened there?
BTW, his “gorgeous 3Lz” (I agree!) got only +0.5 GOE, with 2 judges giving it -1. :frown:

-) I’m so happy for Jeremy Abbott. I know it’s hard to blend out his inconsistency, but judged for that performance alone, this was one of the best SPs ever imo. His jumps looked like the easiest thing in the world to him, and the choreography was so intricate! That was simply perfect!
I read a post about someone not being a fan of the music: If you’re not used to listening to the Pina soundtrack, I could see how it’s an acquired taste, but ever since Savchenko/Szolkowy used it in 2012 (imo their best program ever), I listened to it and it really grows on you! I think it was a great choice for him – subtle, refined and sophisticated. I’d love to see him nail the FS as well, since the Exogenesis program he went back to (with some slight changes) is just beautiful.
By the way: When is the halfway point in the SP? Since it’s 2:40 long, shouldn’t it be 1:20? He jumped his 3A at 1:24 but didn’t get the 10% bonus for highlight distribution. He’d have broken that 100 wall (100.94 points) with those extra 1.08 points… (he didn’t get the 10% earlier in the season as well, I just checked!)

-) Loved Farris’ style, presentation and 3A, but I was surprised to see that despite his 2 stumbles during the steps, he got positive GOEs for it! (Christina Gao’s stumbles were bigger, but she did get -2 GOE aka 1.4 factored!)
I wonder how costly these stumbles in the step sequence are for the PCS score? I mean, lowering the Skating Skills makes sense, the overall impression goes down a bit as well, but other than that, it’s just a “reflex” from the judges to go down for every mark they give if 1 element is being missed, isn’t it?

-) I was a bit surprised to see several of you defining Dornbush as a good jumper but limited by PCS. Ever since I saw his 2012-13 SP (gotta say, the gorgeous music plays its part!), I thought he was a very artistic skater with great skating skills and speed as well as a high level of difficulty in his transitions. I thought he was only limited by his unreliable jumps… I got so used to his 2S in the SP that I couldn’t believe it when I saw that amazing 4S today!
Interesting, last season, he did a clean 4T in the SP, now he did a clean 4S… If he gets them both right in the Free, he might actually make it to Sochi! :eek: (If he does, I’d love it if he went back to his U2 SP! ;) )

Hi Frenchie!

Just a few quick things in response:

Adam said in his press call that he had the flu a few weeks ago and lost a week of training, but was fine now. Raf A also said in an interview that both Ashley and Adam had lost some ice time around the holidays because of overcrowding at their home rink. I too noticed the ridiculous GOEs for Adam's lutzs. It was done beautifully!

I think Dornbush is a good all-around skater but his posture bothers me and he needs a little more extension and finish to his moves.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist

Michael Weiss and Brian Boitano both said that Jeremy gave an Olympic Gold medal winning performance. It was just spectacular.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
What a happy day for me. Can't imagine Jeremy's feelings. He must have worked really hard, which he says in Tanith Belbin's interview. And Tanith was the person who told Jeremy to skate to Pina. Jeremy had it arranged and then was contacted by the composer(didn't get the name) who had it remixed over christmas. Says he has had night mares about his short program. Still he nailed it. Great interesting interview. He seems so relaxed. Best of all he says he doesn't feel scared going out there anymore :yay:

Love Jeremy's performance. Jason was also awesome. I can enjoy Max sometimes, but not this time. My mistake was to watch him after watching Jeremy :laugh: Impressed by Dornbush, big jumps and cool program. Still my dream team for Sochi is J&J.

Jeremy's score sheet is a beauty. So "clean". I've copied and saved it. All level 4 on steps and spins. 16.54 for quad toe+triple toe loop. Only positive GOE.

Happy for Yuka as well :love: She is so lovely sitting there proud and nice looking in K&C. She must have bee frustrated many times over Jeremy. Lucky Jeremy to have such a patient coach.

As long as there is hope :) Men's free skate is at about 19 central european time I think. Hoping for a great figure skating Sunday evening.

Snowflake, I love your pic! :) and I loved your post too. That interview between Tanith and Jeremy was really wonderful- agreed. I'm so happy for him I couldn't sleep!

and I want to contain my expectations for the long and the Olympics- truly, at this point, I don't care if he medals at Olympics as long as he enjoys it and soaks it up. I hope he can skate his last 3 amateur programs with freedom and joy.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FYI, NBC just said that its coverage tonight will include not only the Ladies' FS, but also last night's Men's SP.
Obviously I'm not expecting tape of the entire Men's SP to be shown, but a brief recap would be nice. :)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The SP limit has been 2:50 for about 10 years now, so the halfway point is 1:25.

The SP time is 2:40, you're given +/- 10 seconds from that, which doesn't count towards determining the halfway point. Halfway point of all SP's is 1:20.