Shock and Dismay: Worst Programs Evah | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Shock and Dismay: Worst Programs Evah

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Right up there with the excesses of Candeloro In George of the Jungle was Rudi Galindo as a professional, skating to The Brady Bunch song & Sunshine Day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNaPOnqSJjw

It has everything dreadful. He starts skating in plaid pants. He removes the outfit to skate in a red cat suit with feathers at the ankles. He holds his aching head while the Brady's say "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia". He sticks his head through a story board of Brady pictures.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually like Plushy's "Sex Bomb" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:, but I couldn't stand his program with the big head (2003 Worlds). I also didn't care for his "gender bender" program the following year (2004 Worlds?). OTOH, I really liked his Carmen program from 2002 (we got to see him skate to it live at 2002 COI, and he was pretty impressive, if you ask me).

I had no idea that Philippe skated to "Sex Bomb." When did that happen?

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I actually like Plushy's "Sex Bomb" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:, but I couldn't stand his program with the big head (2003 Worlds).
Count me in as a fan of the Sex Bomb program, too. I didn't see it the first time around but I he did again I think in 2005 (Europeans?)and it basically sold me on Plushy as a skater - I figured anyone who's willing to make fun of himself like that should be given at least some measure of respect ;). At least it was entertaining, which is more than can be said for many recent gala performances.

I was lucky enough to be unable to watch 2003 because of time zone differences. Other than Turandot by S/Z it doesn't sound like I missed much (full disclosure: Michelle Kwan is a great skater but not my cup of tea).

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Oh, so true.. Tanith's outfit looks completely skanky. and it doesn't help that the music's a pain to listen to.[/QUOTE

Well after watching the Gala Exhibition and the Russian Ice Dancers' number, I would have to say that Tanith's costume looked tame in comparison. You think Tanith looked skanky in her costume I disagree, I think she looks pretty darn sexy. I have to agree with you about the music not a fan of it.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Well after watching the Gala Exhibition and the Russian Ice Dancers' number, I would have to say that Tanith's costume looked tame in comparison. You think Tanith looked skanky in her costume I disagree, I think she looks pretty darn sexy. I have to agree with you about the music not a fan of it.

That's funny.. I thought Jana's costume was sexy. and I liked the Russian ice dancer's program.. I think it's the black stockings paired with the black shorts that made it look skanky to me..

sillylionlove

Medalist
Anything with Philippe Candeloro...please learn how to keep your shirt on!!!

Oksana Baul when she tried to redo her swan lake program a few years ago...that was really bad!!

Can I also say anything with Nancy Kerrigan....really there is other music besides a Disney tune!!! But really I don't like her skating too much anyway. Do you guys remember when she skated to a song that she actually sang? That was horrible.

And finally...while I love Rudy Galindo... I have to say that when he skated to Send in the Clowns...that was a really sad program and that's why I didn't like it.

sillylionlove

Medalist
That's funny.. I thought Jana's costume was sexy. and I liked the Russian ice dancer's program.. I think it's the black stockings paired with the black shorts that made it look skanky to me..

I thought Tanith look good. Jana was looking skanky...I mean I was waiting for her boob or her butt to pop out at anytime!!!

bondgirl

Rinkside
Really bad program

Well..for a deliberately "bad program"...Debbie Thomas's exhibition as "Wanda Beasel." I'm sure she ment well, (and I admire her greatly),but I always thought it kind of mean for someone of that level to "poke fun" at beginner skaters. Ditto for the commentators. (Sounds like Scott Hamilton). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwICVVTKRpc

Last edited:

anya_angie

Final Flight
blue dog, I'm with you on Bestemianova & Bukin's Rasputin program as definitely being in the running for the ice dance medal.

Yeah... as historically accurate as it was, it was kind of hard to follow. It seemed that they were implying that Alix had an affair with Rasputin, and of course all evidence points to the contrary. That is, IF Andrei was portraying Rasputin, but there were times when he seemed to portray the Tzar as well. That would be my only objection, that he couldn't make up his mind who he was portraying. Pretty strange considering the subject matter. A more clear portrayal would have been better.

For my own choice, ALL programs set to the music of The Mummy. One of the greatest scores ever composed (though Jerry himself called it "sh*t...") and it has been BUTCHERED by skaters.

All programs to Interview With The Vampire, perhaps an even better composition than The Mummy, and NONE of the programs have done it any justice.

Likewise with Kamen's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Katerina Witt's was the best interpretation but I have to admit I would have cut the music slightly differently.

Tara's Anastasia SP, one listen to the cuts and you know the film hadn't been released when she did that.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Last edited:

blue dog

Record Breaker
LoL Mafke. That was...it was so bad it was good! I was laughing in my cubicle and my boss came by, sat down, and we laughed about it together HAHAHA.

I submit now the following:

(Saxophones should not be used in skating!)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kIIwlmykmRQ

I know she is one of the most artistic skaters ever, but please do NOT play a smurf!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jpUfS3MKzRg

Olympic champions, but silver medalists this time--but I cannot take a program seriously when it uses...The Final Countdown!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aWqFocrYA-k

escaflowne9282

Rinkside
Can I also say anything with Nancy Kerrigan....really there is other music besides a Disney tune!!! But really I don't like her skating too much anyway. Do you guys remember when she skated to a song that she actually sang? That was horrible.
OMG Yes!!! That was to a song she recorded called "the Distance" it was this horrible 1990s easy listening tune and her voice was so droning. It easily is the worst exhibition I have ever seen. Nancy Kerrigan has really laid a whole lot of eggs over the years! She always chose the dumbest music and had some of the worst body coordination.

Chouinard's Tonight's the Night was a total WTF! moment as well

Then there are Liz Manley's many rock jams,where she started grinding into the ice :unsure:

There's HFOS by Yuka Sato, it was bland and generic,but more overused than cringeworthy .

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I had no idea that Philippe skated to "Sex Bomb." When did that happen?

IIRC it was during a Too Hot To Skate (the one that had the opening where Scott's out on the board walk trying to find someone to go skating with and no one will because it's "too hot to skate" and he does like little boy pout "it's not too hot to skate" and then Steven Cousins runs by with a surf board and Scott tries to get him to go skating and he's all "It's too hot to skate I'm going surfing!" "it's not to hot to skate" "SURFIN'!!!" - ok so I like the cheesey mid 90s skating specials, so sue me!)

I *think* it was that one. I know it wasn't the one in Vegas with Kurt Browning because Kurt was the only one that skated to Tom Jones IIRC (and aside from a few footwork parts, teh program does absolutely nothing for me).

Anyway back to Candeloro - he skated it in a CBS covered event because I distinctly remember hearing Tracy Wilson and Verne Lundquist "commentating" (but I don't think it was a competition, like Ice Wars) and Verne warning parents to send the children out of the room.

The reason it's horrible - he humps the ice half way through the program. And the camera zoomed in. It was totally disgusting.

There's HFOS by Yuka Sato, it was bland and generic,but more overused than cringeworthy .
awwwwww I loved that one by her...

Last edited:

blue dog

Record Breaker
I can't find the link, but one year, Michael Weiss had an exhibition to a Backstreet Boys medley. I'll admit I'm a Backstreet Boys fan, but that was just... it came complete with grinding onto the ice...

gio

Medalist
First a disclaimer (hope it's the right word) = What I am going to say is just my opinion and everybody can disagree, obviously! :)

So, I think every skater should be respected for all the effort and great job they are doing. They are entertaining us. Even in the moments we are sad (at least for me), they are of help.
So, I cannot label any skater's program as worst, skanky, or any bad word. I know how much they work for it and to please us.
Obviously there are programs I like more and others I like less, but at the end every program is enjoyable. ;) I know this can seem a false statement, but I started to like programs that once I didn't like. And I respect much more skaters, than once I didn't.

sillylionlove

Medalist
First a disclaimer (hope it's the right word) = What I am going to say is just my opinion and everybody can disagree, obviously! :)

So, I think every skater should be respected for all the effort and great job they are doing. They are entertaining us. Even in the moments we are sad (at least for me), they are of help.
So, I cannot label any skater's program as worst, skanky, or any bad word. I know how much they work for it and to please us.
Obviously there are programs I like more and others I like less, but at the end every program is enjoyable. ;) I know this can seem a false statement, but I started to like programs that once I didn't like. And I respect much more skaters, than once I didn't.

While I respect your opinion, I think that some skaters program's are just not a hit with the audience or the fans. I respect their hard work on trying to make programs that are different and that will entertain. I know it is hard to move from being a competitive skater to a show skater...But let's be honest...some just really stink and they don't connect. They are either too gimmicky....to showing...the music makes you want to scream.....they barely spend any time skating.... they are too abstract and you are too busy figuring out what they heck they are doing.....etc.....but there are just some programs that really should have been done once and then locked away for good....but in the case of Phillipe well he should trying skating.. if I wanted to see guys with no shirts on and humping the ice and giving lap dances to people...well I would go to a strip club.

But in the same regard there are skaters that I didn't really like as competitive skaters that I love as show skaters...Micheal Weiss being one!!

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Thought of another one

Brian Boitano's "CSI/Dective" themed skates in Ice Wars a few years back. That was just LAME

Mafke

Medalist
Well..for a deliberately "bad program"...Debbie Thomas's exhibition as "Wanda Beasel." I'm sure she ment well, (and I admire her greatly),but I always thought it kind of mean for someone of that level to "poke fun" at beginner skaters. Ditto for the commentators. (Sounds like Scott Hamilton). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwICVVTKRpc

I thought she was poking fun at beginner skaters as much as poking fun at herself and the conventions of skating. I really can't imagine a beginning skater feeling offended ... (and the brilliance of the program came from the fact that while it could be enjoyed by even the most casual fan the best humor was related to skating technique)