Shoma Uno | Page 342 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Oh, Kolyada did do that extra Challenger Series competition.

Don't they wait until the end of the season before they update World Standings? I thought that was the case, but I may be mistaken. [emoji28]

World Standings are updated after each major competition (Challenger, GP series, GPF, Championships) because the World Standing reflects on starting order/group for SP for following events.

Latremu

Final Flight
World Standings are updated after each major competition (Challenger, GP series, GPF, Championships) because the World Standing reflects on starting order/group for SP for following events.
Oh, I see. That would explain it. I kept looking at the World Standings for Ladies last year, and was wondering why Satoko was still #2 even before Worlds, and at that point Shoma was #3 for the men. I guess the stats only got overturned after Worlds. Thanks for clarifying!

I also hope the Olympics is a good competition, where the skaters mostly give relatively clean performances. I'd hate to have a "he won because he made the least mistakes, everyone else just flopped more" sort of deal, whoever the winner is. Worlds 2017 was really good, with so many excellent performances in both SP and FS. Shoma just being two points behind Yuzuru despite Yuzuru's world-record breaking FS and his SP having some mistakes but not being horrible, is still quite amazing to me.

On a completely shallow and barely related note - Shoma should gel his hair back more often, like his FS in Worlds. [emoji13] Maybe for Winter. The "fierce" look. [emoji16]

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Oh, I see. That would explain it. I kept looking at the World Standings for Ladies last year, and was wondering why Satoko was still #2 even before Worlds, and at that point Shoma was #3 for the men. I guess the stats only got overturned after Worlds. Thanks for clarifying! [emoji16]

One also needs to remember that the World Standings may not change much after each competition even if they're updated because of the way they're calculated. Say Javier wins Europeans. His total points in the ranking will remain the same because you can only count the two best Championship results and he'd essentially replace a 840 with another 840. And if Shoma wins 4CC, not all of his 840 points will be considered because in reality he'll only increase 393 points in ranking once it's calculated, which will still put him 60 points over Yuzu.

Latremu

Final Flight
Such an interesting system. Makes me wonder why they decided to develop it like that. It's not just necessarily about how many competitions you've joined and how highly you've ranked in it. Must have been a long history of debates and such (like the continuing evolution of the ISU judging system). Thanks for the info, xeyra!

Speaking of why, can Shoma ditch the "why" hands in Turandot? He even does it in the Turandot encore! Why, Shoma?
https://twitter.com/UNO1727/status/945610189176061952

Edited- also, if anyone can find a video of what the heck is happening in this picture, I'd really appreciate it. Looks like fun.
https://twitter.com/shoom_sleepy/status/945338238427848704

idontknow

On the Ice
Such an interesting system. Makes me wonder why they decided to develop it like that. It's not just necessarily about how many competitions you've joined and how highly you've ranked in it. Must have been a long history of debates and such (like the continuing evolution of the ISU judging system). Thanks for the info, xeyra!

Speaking of why, can Shoma ditch the "why" hands in Turandot? He even does it in the Turandot encore! Why, Shoma?

Edited- also, if anyone can find a video of what the heck is happening in this picture, I'd really appreciate it. Looks like fun.

from this video
https://www.instagram.com/p/BdKfXIbDkLs/

lmao kaori and shoma

idontknow

On the Ice

Thank you so much, idontknow!! [emoji1] Shoma being pulled willy-nilly by other skaters... Kaori must have enjoyed that. [emoji23]

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdKeCmWDtDV/
and this too 😂😂😂

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Best performance so far this season of "See you Again", just fabulous!

I let my niece (13) watch the video with me on Christmas Day and she said Auntie Shoma is "super hot". :love:

Haha, that's great. Gotta try that with my niece (1), but I doubt she'll say much other than 'yayayaya!' :love:

Leonardo

Final Flight
copied from Alifyre’s post #6818:

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...00015000c.html

Looks like Shoma's updating his layout! I found a partial translation of the key part on tumblr, if anyone could translate the rest it would be nice!

"He decided to take out the 2A4T which he failed to land at this competition, and the 4S which he acquired earlier this season. Although he landed four types of quads five times at the Lombardia Trophy, his plan is to include three types of quads four times in his Olympic free skate, just as he did at last season’s World Championships where he finished second. Although his base value will decrease by 4.45 points in total, he is committed to this new layout, saying “With the same layout as last year’s, I will now start over from the beginning.”

He has changed his layout repeatedly this year through trial and error, but he has yet to deliver a performance that leaves him satisfied since his first competition. “Because I’ve been switching between too many different layouts, nothing is soaking into my body. It is very crucial for me to soak into my programs.” Since last year, he’s continued to level up the difficulty of his programs, but from now onwards, he plans to lower the difficulty and focus more on perfecting his program."
==========================================================

Leonardo!!
This sounds better, yes?! Shoma himself has decided overnight. Maybe it’s your miracle!

:love::love::love:

Thank you! I have no words!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He absolutely is. His skin looks (and probably actually is) so smooth except his face because it is cracking. Sorry I know I sound like a pervert but I am just stating facts :)

And my question -- for anyone who knows about skin conditions, does it look like Shomita has rosacea, which is a condition where your face looks reddish all the time...nolangoh, we all notice every little nit-picky thing about this poor guy! :rofl: I have wondered the same thing as you...And just for the record, Nathan does have some condition called hyperhidrosis which has to do with excessive sweating.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Best performance so far this season of "See you Again", just fabulous!

I let my niece (13) watch the video with me on Christmas Day and she said Auntie Shoma is "super hot". :love:

:laugh2: :rofl: I hope you told your niece she has good taste!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
What better to do on Christmas than to rewatch some highlights of Shoma's career? Shoma wasn't especially clean in the competitions last season either, before he really hit his peak at Worlds. So I believe in him, an Olympic medal could become reality. And that he might eek out Nathan Chen this time, because please look at this funny thing I realized.

GPF 2016
Nathan Chen 282,85
Shoma Uno 282,51
Difference: 0,34

GPF 2017
Nathan Chen 286,51
Shoma Uno 286,01
Difference: 0,50

Funny also because GPF in Marseille was so much better as a competition but the numbers tell a different story. I'm glad Shoma goes back to 4 Quads. Personally I would love him to only do three, but that won't happen, so I'm happy with that solution.Nathan already had 4 Quads in GPF 2016, while Shoma 'only' had 3.

biryanione

On the Ice
What better to do on Christmas than to rewatch some highlights of Shoma's career? Shoma wasn't especially clean in the competitions last season either, before he really hit his peak at Worlds. So I believe in him, an Olympic medal could become reality. And that he might eek out Nathan Chen this time, because please look at this funny thing I realized.

GPF 2016
Nathan Chen 282,85
Shoma Uno 282,51
Difference: 0,34

GPF 2017
Nathan Chen 286,51
Shoma Uno 286,01
Difference: 0,50

Funny also because GPF in Marseille was so much better as a competition but the numbers tell a different story. I'm glad Shoma goes back to 4 Quads. Personally I would love him to only do three, but that won't happen, so I'm happy with that solution.Nathan already had 4 Quads in GPF 2016, while Shoma 'only' had 3.

This reminds me, I want to catch the next 2 nationals. I'm not home then however, "bummer". it's so much more enjoyable at home. Funny, I don't remember the 2016 one as being even CLOSER than 2017 but it was!

Kanna

On the Ice
Sorry for late reply as I went to the Japanese Nationals for 3 days made me sooo tired, the location is too far…Actually I could not get dayoff…after the work quickly get on the taxi on the highway to go to the arena.

First.. I want to say, Congratulations Shoma❗💐🏅The result is result, No.1 is No.1. Even if he seems not so happy. After that he couldn' sleep untill 5AM cuz he's not happy accoding to him. I know some feel he's not really good..but he did his best. He expected to do something more..practiced harder, it's all what he can do now.

He wanted to try 2T4T but failed, well with or without it, I do love his performance. Again he did try many challenge in a new style throughout this year.

Also a new costume! Not bad at all. It makes him look thinner though. I like the previous version too. um, both are cool✨

EX, great level of See you Again this time ever. No.1 quality of 2017. He's dead tired.. how did he make it..he did very well despite he could not sleep at all. 45mins sleep. Good white shirt too 💕 Love his performance…love his smile, treat to watch👀 And..couldn't find CK again😭

Probably quickly he will go to Chicago again right? Wooo, hope he can make a good practice there. Please someone planning to visit there, please support him❗

Me? I've decided to go 4CC in Taiwan, one night only, cuz so near from Japan. It is my first time to go oversea figure skating trip, hehe. Well I do love to have just usual oversea trips though. In order to see his skating I go to abroad lmao, oh my…❗

I am still working at the office until 29 Dec, a bit tired.. but overall it is a great year. Really I want to say thank you to all of you. Because of you, I am so happy to talk about our Shomita, giggle always with funny joke🤣

Too late to say, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year…(I have been working so I am NOT feeling like it is already the END of 2017 ahaha)

4CC, then Oly, Milan World…tight schedule.
To Shoma, I do hope for his healthy happy days WITHOUT injury.

Waiting for your super cool report about Chicago, please😉

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Kanna, Thank you for being our on-site reporter and for being such a super-fan of His Royal Hotness, our Prince Shomita. I thought he looked very happy at the gala, despite having very little sleep. That's great that you can go to 4CC. We want to hear lots of cheering please! :hap10: :yahoo: :hap57: :dance: :cheer:

Happy New Year to you! :hb:

ETA -- Don't know if anyone posted this paragraph from Ice Time.

Uno should be fine in time.
Shoma Uno won his second straight national title on Sunday, but struggled in his free skate. It is clear that he has work to do before the Olympics.

Uno traditionally gets better as the season goes on, so assigning him to the Four Continents is probably for the best.

Despite being able to land only two of the four quads he planned for the free skate, the feeling here is that Uno will be back in good form by the time the big show in Pyeongchang begins.

Ice Time believes that his medal chances in South Korea remain very strong.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh how cool. Colan Totte gave Shomita a book with more than 1,000 messages of best wishes and support on his 20th birthday. No fair! I want to put a message in there too. Then he recorded a thank you response...I wonder if there will be any kind of "Good Luck at the Olympics" thing. Can he look any more handsome?! Sheesh!

https://t.co/J2LX60IMEC (birthday messages book)
https://t.co/A7dWlNOv3h

https://t.co/tuqquWrc7V (response)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdKt50TFcJm (wait a minute; who are these lucky people?!)
**ETA -- yawning_shoma posted that this is a Nagoya company that focuses on professional development for students entering the workforce.